IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

which provider and which phone work with the 2006 IS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-06, 10:08 AM
pearl85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which provider and which phone work with the 2006 IS?

I have ordered my IS and have followed the Lets Talk chart for my area. It use to have both T-Mobile phones and Cingular. Now just Cingular. Is this a sales thing? Why no Verizon? Any thoughts apreciated
Old 01-12-06, 10:13 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pearl85
I have ordered my IS and have followed the Lets Talk chart for my area. It use to have both T-Mobile phones and Cingular. Now just Cingular. Is this a sales thing? Why no Verizon? Any thoughts apreciated
Wow, that sucks, Ive had verizon for about 10 years now,, I'd never change
to Cingular just to have it linked to my car...
Old 01-12-06, 10:34 AM
dennis250
Driver

I was under the impression that your phone just had to be bluetooth. No?
Old 01-12-06, 11:10 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis250
I was under the impression that your phone just had to be bluetooth. No?
I work for Cingular and most times it doesnt matter which provider you use... your model phone just needs to have bluetooth built-in.

Cingular & Tmobile are going to have the most phone models with bluetooth as they are both GSM providers and have had many bluetooth phones in there lineup for awhile now. Verizon and Sprint are just starting to get into the bluetooth game therfor only select models have it...
Old 01-12-06, 12:06 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I have Verizon with the new Motorola Razr, and it works perfectly. Well, perfectly with one exception- you can't transfer the phonebook to the car. Some folks over at the Toyota Prius "Priuschat" forum have figured out a workaround where you can transfer the phonebook from the phone to a bluetooth enabled laptop, and then transfer it from the laptop to the car. This should work with our cars too, since both have a Denso handsfree system. But by the time I found about the workaround, I'd already re-entered my phonebook on the car's touchscreen, which unless you have a huge number of entries, is not that big of a hassle.

P.S.
I've also paired the LG VX8100 and Motorola E815 with the car. Again, with the exeption of the phonebook transfer, no problems.
Old 01-12-06, 12:14 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
I have Verizon with the new Motorola Razr, and it works perfectly. Well, perfectly with one exception- you can't transfer the phonebook to the car. Some folks over at the Toyota Prius "Priuschat" forum have figured out a workaround where you can transfer the phonebook from the phone to a bluetooth enabled laptop, and then transfer it from the laptop to the car. This should work with our cars too, since both have a Denso handsfree system. But by the time I found about the workaround, I'd already re-entered my phonebook on the car's touchscreen, which unless you have a huge number of entries, is not that big of a hassle.

P.S.
I've also paired the LG VX8100 and Motorola E815 with the car. Again, with the exeption of the phonebook transfer, no problems.

That's great to hear, I love the Razr, and never thought it'd be avaiable for
Verizon, up until a few fews ago, now that you say it works in our IS350, i'M def getting it!
Old 01-12-06, 12:29 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Verizon, for Get-It-Now contract purposes, disables the file transfer (in this case, the phonebook) feature on their phones. However, using a USB bluetooth adapter, you can change this so you'll be able to transfer the phonebook to the car.

If you don't like the idea of slightly modifying your phone (with a tutorial), then you'll have to dial manually
Old 01-12-06, 12:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheRupp
Verizon, for Get-It-Now contract purposes, disables the file transfer (in this case, the phonebook) feature on their phones. However, using a USB bluetooth adapter, you can change this so you'll be able to transfer the phonebook to the car.
The Lexus handsfree system does not use the bluetooth file transfer profile (known as OBEX). It uses the bluetooth object push protocol (known as OPP).

If you don't like the idea of slightly modifying your phone (with a tutorial), then you'll have to dial manually
You don't need to dial manually. No reason you can't re-enter your phonebook into the car. With the touchscreen keyboard on the car, it goes pretty quickly.
Old 01-12-06, 12:57 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

Bichon, would you please provide a link to the piruschat on where they are transferring entire phone books from computer to car. I too am using a RAZR V3c along with an SCH-i730. Thank You.

I think this link would benefit many and save all from the tedious task of entering each name and number.

Cheers!
Old 01-12-06, 01:09 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and could someone post info on what if any sprint phones work with the IS?
Old 01-12-06, 01:38 PM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by digital_b
and could someone post info on what if any sprint phones work with the IS?
Which ever sprint phones have bluetooth....
Old 01-12-06, 01:47 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always get OBEX and OPP mixed up Is there an OPP profile to open on the V3C?

Originally Posted by Bichon
You don't need to dial manually. No reason you can't re-enter your phonebook into the car. With the touchscreen keyboard on the car, it goes pretty quickly.
Er yeah I meant enter it, not dial it
Old 01-12-06, 02:47 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TheRupp
I always get OBEX and OPP mixed up Is there an OPP profile to open on the V3C?

Er yeah I meant enter it, not dial it
Motorola has OPP on both the E815 and V3c Razr, but nobody has found a seem to open it up yet. There is even a poster over at Howard Forums offering a $100 bounty to the first person to figure it out.
Old 01-12-06, 04:08 PM
vp911
Intermediate

Wait, so, with the IS bluetooth, you can enter the phonebook without transfering from the phone? In our 06' RX330 we just purchased the only way to enter a phonebook is to transfer from a phone.

Also, can you dial while driving? With the RX, of course we can't do that.

Is there any voice dial, e.g. say "call george" - this was excellent in the Acura TL and RL.

I assume without doing the nav mod (cutting the VSS wire to the nav) you can't use the phonebook while driving like the RX, is this correct?

Impatiently waiting for my IS350
Old 01-12-06, 04:24 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JMgs300
I work for Cingular and most times it doesnt matter which provider you use... your model phone just needs to have bluetooth built-in.

Cingular & Tmobile are going to have the most phone models with bluetooth as they are both GSM providers and have had many bluetooth phones in there lineup for awhile now. Verizon and Sprint are just starting to get into the bluetooth game therfor only select models have it...
good guess but your carrier basically has nothing to do with what works and what doesn't work. so i work for sprint, have been for many years, and have been working on sprint bluetooth phones before there ever was a company called cingular. of course bluetooth is not in every phone, doesn't need to be because we were producing phones before bt became popular in cars.

the other posts here pretty much have the answer. i've never talked to the guys over at the website so I have no idea what it takes to get listed. maybe they wait for you to send them a phone and they list it if it works. nobody here knows the answer.

as i said in another post, the chart show what DOES work. it doesn't list what DOESN'T work and the list is not all inclusive.

i could get into the long story about bt and compatibility with cars, but not for this forum. you basically get what you get at this point.

Quick Reply: which provider and which phone work with the 2006 IS?