IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Last Chance For Good Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 07:05 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Chance For Good Advice

Today is the day. Lexus called last night and said our Smoky Granite IS250 is in (unfortunately, I can't pull a boat with it so my wife will get it). We haven't put any money down on it or signed any paperwork but the salesman has been cool and said it is ours if we want it. The salesman ran some numbers for us about a month ago taking $700 off MSRP so I'm hoping we can get to at least $1k off. He said the sales managers would be willing to take more off when the car is actually at the dealership and we are actually working the deal. Considering this is only the 2nd or 3rd IS in this color to have come to their dealership in the last 2 months I don't know how accurate that statement will be.

Long story short, I want the car but just thought I would see if there was any good advice on what to ask for in terms of extras (winter floor mats, clear bra, touch up paint, etc) or if there are any new developments or things I should know about the IS in general before I sign on the ......ed line.

Sorry the post is so vague and thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-13-06, 07:28 AM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wakesetter
Today is the day. Lexus called last night and said our Smoky Granite IS250 is in (unfortunately, I can't pull a boat with it so my wife will get it). We haven't put any money down on it or signed any paperwork but the salesman has been cool and said it is ours if we want it. The salesman ran some numbers for us about a month ago taking $700 off MSRP so I'm hoping we can get to at least $1k off. He said the sales managers would be willing to take more off when the car is actually at the dealership and we are actually working the deal. Considering this is only the 2nd or 3rd IS in this color to have come to their dealership in the last 2 months I don't know how accurate that statement will be.

Long story short, I want the car but just thought I would see if there was any good advice on what to ask for in terms of extras (winter floor mats, clear bra, touch up paint, etc) or if there are any new developments or things I should know about the IS in general before I sign on the ......ed line.

I'd like to hear some info too about what extra stuff I should ask for. I'm definitely shooting for at least the all-weather mats, but there is another dealer in my area that's willing to go $500 cheaper than mine, so I'm hoping for either $500 more off, or free stuff to cover that price.
Old 01-13-06, 07:32 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure you're aware of the issue with the 250 AWD. So if you are getting that, just make sure they fix that problem (it's with the pedals) before you take delivery... Otherwise, people here have gotten extra complimentary maintenance, free new tires for life, floor mats, discounts on clear bra, and other random goodies like fleeces, blankets, coffee cups, "The Lexus Story" book, etc. Just figure out what would would like the most - ask and yee shall maybe receive!
Old 01-13-06, 07:36 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I would like to go in there with the attitude that I want a clear bra, winter floor mats, touch up paint and a $1k off MSRP or I'm going to walk. Unfortunately, the last time they had this color I watch at least 20 people in about 15 minutes drool over the car and everytime the salesman had to tell them it was sold. So I'm afraid if I go in and act tough and get up and walk, they aren't going to chase me out the door like they would at the Chevy dealership.
Old 01-13-06, 07:39 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I'm aware of the AWD issue but this is sunny CA so I'm getting the RWD so no worries on that. Free tires for life or the clear bra would be sweet but I would be shocked if they did either.
Old 01-13-06, 07:51 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I would like to go in there with the attitude that I want a clear bra, winter floor mats, touch up paint and a $1k off MSRP or I'm going to walk. Unfortunately, the last time they had this color I watch at least 20 people in about 15 minutes drool over the car and everytime the salesman had to tell them it was sold. So I'm afraid if I go in and act tough and get up and walk, they aren't going to chase me out the door like they would at the Chevy dealership.
At the end of the day, it comes down to supply and demand. If there are a lot of buyers, and you REALLY want the car, then it will be hard for you to negotiate a fantastic deal. If there are few buyers and you're not that crazy about the car, you can get a fantastic deal. This summer I was in LA and I was offered like 25% off MSRP on an AWD Mercedes C240. No one wanted it, and neither did I really... But boy was that a good deal.

It's tough to negotiate a great deal when the dealer knows there are other buyers who are willing to pay more. Lexus has a hot product right now - this is their time to make the big $$$.
Old 01-13-06, 07:59 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

You are exactly right. I'm just to greedy or "cheap" because a month ago when I found out I would be able to get $700 off, I felt like I was stealing it and now I want more off. Doesn't matter, unless something goes very wrong today I will be driving that car out of there.
Old 01-13-06, 09:24 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

You are exactly right. I'm just to greedy or "cheap" because a month ago when I found out I would be able to get $700 off, I felt like I was stealing it and now I want more off. Doesn't matter, unless something goes very wrong today I will be driving that car out of there.
Well, just bear in mind that if you are getting anything off MSRP, you are still getting a better deal than many people on this forum. It's good to get the best deal you can, but after that, just enjoy the car! I've had mine over two months now, and I'm still finding out new stuff that makes me like it more and more...
Old 01-13-06, 11:15 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

Our deal we got $1k off, winter mats, and a rear spoiler. IS350.
Old 01-13-06, 11:17 AM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

That deal would work for me.
Old 01-13-06, 11:44 AM
clubfoot
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same here: winter mats, rear spoiler and a big discount on winter wheel sensors,...if they ever show up
Old 01-13-06, 11:47 AM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Our deal we got $1k off, winter mats, and a rear spoiler. IS350.
I never thought of asking for the rear spoiler. That's a great idea!