IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Service specs for the DIY'er

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-06, 04:52 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service specs for the DIY'er

I realize that most Lexus owners either don't know an oil filter from an air filter, or can't be bothered.

But I've always done all my own maintenance on my cars, mainly due to not having any money when growing up, but now more due to the fact that I can do the work better, faster and without screwing anything up the way the dealers always seem to do. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say, and that means if I want it done right, I do it myself.

So when I get my IS350, I expect to continue doing all my maintenance. Since the new IS has a lot of great things like a timing chain (rather than a belt), hydraulic lifters (rather than spring operated valves), 100k mile coolant, a sealed transmission unit, etc., I'm immediately feeling happy because I won't ever need to change a timing belt or adjust the valves (anyone who's ever done valves on an S2000, or actually just about anything for that matter, will know that as you get older your back just doesn't want to cooperate).

I'm sure there's some other Lexus-owning soul out there who likes to get under their car. For the forseeable future, the only piece of information I'm really looking for is, what's the torque spec for the IS350 oil drain bolt?

And just an FYI for you folks... most standard maintenance (i.e. oil changes, brakes, brake fluid flush, air filter, etc) are incredibly simple jobs if you've got the right tools. I've been wrenching on cars for most of my life (I'm 30), so if anyone in the N. VA area wants to swing out to scenic Linden, VA and get their regular maintenance done for a few pence and the cost of parts, and better yet learn how to do the work themselves in the process, let me know. There are also some great wineries in the area
It bugs me to no end how much dealers charge for work that's easy to do and takes little time.
Old 01-14-06, 08:17 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

hmm, Im doing all the maintenence myself, I have also been wrenching more than half of my life(im 23). but I'll leave warranty stuff to the dealer since there free
Old 01-14-06, 08:32 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I wasn't talking about warranty work. Depending on the problem, it obviously makes a lot more sense to get the dealer to do it for free in most cases.

However, some warranty issues hardly necessitate a trip to the dealer if you've got half a brain. Subaru recently issued a recall for a bolt on front seat rail. They replace it with a new bolt of equal lengh to the old, the only change being some loctite. I managed to take care of that myself with about $1.50 in parts and 60 seconds of work.

Anyway, my post was obviously a little long winded... I'm just boggled by what people are paying Lexus to do regular service.

I'm really only looking for torque specs for the oil drain bolt.
Old 01-14-06, 08:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
I'm sure there's some other Lexus-owning soul out there who likes to get under their car. For the forseeable future, the only piece of information I'm really looking for is, what's the torque spec for the IS350 oil drain bolt?
I've been doing oil changes on my cars for years, and I've never taken a torque wrench to an oil drain bolt. I've always made them tight enough to crush the washer, but nothing ridiculous. Never had one leak, nor pose a problem with removal at the next oil change. (On the Lexus I'd start the engine and check for leaks before replacing the plastic belly pan) I believe that most drain bolt horror stories are due to crossed threads. I haven't yet had a chance to change the oil on the IS yet, so I can't comment on the accessibility of the drain bolt and filter.
Old 01-14-06, 09:12 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been changing the oil on my cars since I got my first one in 1960. (can I be that old? Yup.)
I have not ever used a torque wrench on the drain bolt. I have not ever had a problem. Does that mean that on the first DIY oil change on the new IS someone will somehow screw up putting the drain plug back in correctly? As in "shoulda used a torque wrench". Not sure. Odds are all will be OK. Just use the common sense we all seem to have and do not cross thread it and tighten it till its tight and then STOP. We know when that is. A true car guy can "just tell".

I'll be doing all my own work as well, except for (of course) the warranty work. Although I'm in my sixties now I still love to crawl under my cars periodically and see what's what. Wish I was closer to the East coast. We could do this stuff together. Would be fun.

Now if my car will just show up!! They say next week or so. We'll see.
Old 01-14-06, 09:44 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lexustom
I've been changing the oil on my cars since I got my first one in 1960.
Ah, so then the IS probably isn't the first cartridge oil filter you've changed? Hopefully changing a cartridge filter isn't as messy as I've imagined.
Old 01-14-06, 09:44 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Look, I understand that it's simply something you can do by feel. But that doesn't negate the fact that I'd like to know the factory torque spec.
Old 01-14-06, 09:47 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Look, I understand that it's simply something you can do by feel. But that doesn't negate the fact that I'd like to know the factory torque spec.
If you want it $10 worth, you can probably find it here: http://techinfo.lexus.com/ ($10 is the cost of one day of access to the online service manuals and technical documents)
Old 01-14-06, 10:00 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Yay, thank you. That'll do nicely.
Old 01-14-06, 11:30 AM
dang_is250
Driver School Candidate

I usually do my oil changes at home also. Haven't even had the chance to look underneath my IS yet. BTW, what is a cartridge oil filter? I'm also trying to buy oil filters online but haven't found any ones specific to the new IS yet. Is the same filter used for another car? Say the GS300? Thanks.
Old 01-14-06, 11:41 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dang_is250
I usually do my oil changes at home also. Haven't even had the chance to look underneath my IS yet. BTW, what is a cartridge oil filter? I'm also trying to buy oil filters online but haven't found any ones specific to the new IS yet. Is the same filter used for another car? Say the GS300? Thanks.

Rather than a spin on filter that you usually find, a cartridge filter is just the filter media (what you'd see if you took the outer metal cover off a "normal" filter) that sits inside a housing. You take the cover off the housing and replace the filter that way. BMW uses the same setup.

You can get filters here:
http://www.lexus-parts.com/

... or just run down to your local dealer.
Old 01-14-06, 11:48 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't talking about warranty work. Depending on the problem, it obviously makes a lot more sense to get the dealer to do it for free in most cases.

However, some warranty issues hardly necessitate a trip to the dealer if you've got half a brain. Subaru recently issued a recall for a bolt on front seat rail. They replace it with a new bolt of equal lengh to the old, the only change being some loctite. I managed to take care of that myself with about $1.50 in parts and 60 seconds of work.

Anyway, my post was obviously a little long winded... I'm just boggled by what people are paying Lexus to do regular service.

I'm really only looking for torque specs for the oil drain bolt.
Per the Toyota service specifications on techinfo.toyota.com...

Oil pan drain plug x No. 2 oil pan sub-assembly 30 ft.*lbf

I was interested to find out from your post that the 350 has a timing chain , not a belt. Does it really never have to be changed for the life of the vehicle? Tell me it ain't so.

I'm assuming that this is the drain plug.... I know I've seen other posts around on changing oil (one new one last night on my.is) that reference the torque for that bolt. Hope this helps.
Old 01-14-06, 12:38 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
Ah, so then the IS probably isn't the first cartridge oil filter you've changed? Hopefully changing a cartridge filter isn't as messy as I've imagined.
That's for sure. Man, how excited I was when "spin-on" oil filters came on the scene. As I recall the cartridge ones were quite messy. I have a friend who manages the parts dept. at a local Toyota dealer and the Avalon uses this cartridge filter as well. Not sure if it is the same part # as on the IS350 but will soon find out.

Just got a phone call that my car is IN and would I please come and PICK IT UP!!!! So......I'm outta here.

Oh, one more thing, I DO understand wanting the torque number. Looks like it's now in this thread.

BYE.
Old 01-14-06, 12:43 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Awesome! Post pics when it's in and enjoy.

And thx ahohnstein for the torque spec!

Good to have... I should be putting the order in for my car in the next week or so!!!
Old 01-14-06, 01:43 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ahohnstein
I was interested to find out from your post that the 350 has a timing chain , not a belt. Does it really never have to be changed for the life of the vehicle? Tell me it ain't so.
well one less thing to worry about then........