IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Color difference on rear bumper and body

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 06:25 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Color difference on rear bumper and body

Has anyone else noticed this, the rear bumper is a plain pearl white while the rest of the body has an Ivory pearl white to it I noticed it after the first wash. it is not noticeable when far from the car but when you get closer you could tell big time, any one else have this dilema? makes me kind of disappointed.
Old 01-15-06, 11:57 PM
RYL
Driver School Candidate

I noticed this in the Acura TL but not the TSX. It's most notieable in the silver and white. The dealer will repaint it. Next time when you see a TL, take a look at the bumper and the body. It's not normal.
Old 01-16-06, 12:47 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RYL
I noticed this in the Acura TL but not the TSX. It's most notieable in the silver and white. The dealer will repaint it. Next time when you see a TL, take a look at the bumper and the body. It's not normal.
I might be confused but isn't he talking about a Lexus IS350? Anyway, I've seen color shade differences on practically every manufactuerers cars between the plastic bumpers and metal body. Some are worse than others. I have never seen pearl and non pearl differences though. Generally the peal shade is different but it is not like a totally non pearl paint. If this really is your case then maybe the bumpers were repainted before it was sold to you? If there are just differences in shade and pearl differences that is a different story though. Honestly, IMHO you will never get a perfect match even if they repaint with pearl paints. The only way to truely get a perfect or near perfect match with pearl paints is to paint the entire car at the same time using the same mixed batch of paint. It even can come down to using the same painter and same spray gun.
Old 01-16-06, 10:16 AM
ONEdirty23
Pole Position

hey all, I too have noticed a slight shade difference between the both the front and rear bumpers and the body. I figured it was just the angles. When Im looking down at the car standing I can notice a difference, but when I drop down to the same height as the headlights for example, the color all matches. Oh yeah, I have crystal white btw.

Last edited by ONEdirty23; 01-16-06 at 02:24 PM. Reason: wrong color
Old 01-16-06, 11:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Actually, paint color is the same. Problem is material that color is applied to (plastic vs metal) PLUS thicker and different painting process for bumper due to more extensive damage probabilities (rock chips). Depending on the shape of bumper, it might be more or less noticable.
Old 01-16-06, 11:52 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEdirty23
hey all, I too have noticed a slight shade difference between the both the front and rear bumpers and the body. I figured it was just the angles. When Im looking down at the car standing I can notice a difference, but when I drop down to the same height as the headlights for example, the color all matches. Oh yeah, I have frost white btw.
I see it the same way for crystal white. Looking down, different shade. Kneeling down to the height of the bumper, same shade. The most obvious is the lower body sills and the front lip. Looking down, they are almost two different colors.
Old 01-16-06, 01:29 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexo350
Has anyone else noticed this, the rear bumper is a plain pearl white while the rest of the body has an Ivory pearl white to it I noticed it after the first wash. it is not noticeable when far from the car but when you get closer you could tell big time, any one else have this dilema? makes me kind of disappointed.
I think the difference because they're difference material. The paint on the metal will somewhat look a lil difference than the plastic bumper.
Old 01-16-06, 06:59 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Ahh, say it isn't so. I have a Crystal white IS 350 inbound. I can not stand the bumper color differences on the Acura TL Anthracite white cars. If you see them it is obvious even from a distance. There is a display model Crystal white 350 at a local mall that I will have to take a closer look at now. If the difference is obvious I may switch to the Tungsten color if the dealer lets me. I wonder if this could be one of those quality issues that people thought might crop up in the new Lexus factory building the IS's, supposedly the Tahara plant was the better factory, but all the recent IS's have been coming from the plant whose name starts with an "M".
Old 01-16-06, 07:09 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Ahh, say it isn't so. I have a Crystal white IS 350 inbound. I can not stand the bumper color differences on the Acura TL Anthracite white cars. If you see them it is obvious even from a distance. There is a display model Crystal white 350 at a local mall that I will have to take a closer look at now. If the difference is obvious I may switch to the Tungsten color if the dealer lets me. I wonder if this could be one of those quality issues that people thought might crop up in the new Lexus factory building the IS's, supposedly the Tahara plant was the better factory, but all the recent IS's have been coming from the plant whose name starts with an "M".
I've been looking at the crystal white for awhile, from bumper to bumper. It wasn't noticable to me and if there is a difference it was slight but not something the average person would notice. I too think its a plastic vs metal issue. Go look at the display. I'd be suprised if it changes your mind.
Old 01-16-06, 07:13 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by upbull340
I've been looking at the crystal white for awhile, from bumper to bumper. It wasn't noticable to me and if there is a difference it was slight but not something the average person would notice. I too think its a plastic vs metal issue. Go look at the display. I'd be suprised if it changes your mind.
I didn't notice it either, but I wasn't specifically looking for the color difference in the bumper area and it was dusk. I was too busy admiring the overall car and how awesome it looked in Crystal white. I do like that color the best on the 350 since it really shows off the car's lines and makes it look slightly bigger IMHO.

Scott
Old 01-16-06, 07:18 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

I had a pearl white RSX type-s before this car and I had no problem with the color difference, I put a body kit and my painter painted it for me and I would say he was about 95% close to color match on that pearl white. But with this Lexus you can tell the difference I might have to just call him up to do me this favor. No matter what I still love this car even with the little flaw of color it has.
Old 01-16-06, 07:21 PM
Soda
Pole Position

I work for Toyota and customers have said the same thing about all of our pearl white cars. This is normal unfortunately, and repainting it will do no good. If they were to repaint it I bet you'd still have the same problem. Not like they are gonna take it back to the factory and paint it..it would most likely be a body shop. My pearl white TSX was exactly the same. Same as on the new Sienna, Avalon, Solara, etc. Different materials. They ALL look like they might be a lil off in certain lights.
Old 01-16-06, 07:28 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by Soda
I work for Toyota and customers have said the same thing about all of our pearl white cars. This is normal unfortunately, and repainting it will do no good. If they were to repaint it I bet you'd still have the same problem. Not like they are gonna take it back to the factory and paint it..it would most likely be a body shop. My pearl white TSX was exactly the same. Same as on the new Sienna, Avalon, Solara, etc. Different materials. They ALL look like they might be a lil off in certain lights.
That sux. I figured with the Lexus, they would be able to do it right, but I do have to check it out again in person. It must have not been as bad as on the Acura TL anthracite because I would have noticed it right away. The color difference on the TL white cars is horrible. Soda, have you noticed a difference on any of the other colors or is it just the white? I may look at getting a Glacier Frost Metallic, if that color hides the differences more. However my father has an 05 white Camry and I can not tell a difference in bumper shade on that car.

Scott
Old 01-16-06, 07:30 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Hey got a Quick question for you guys if you disconnect the battery to put a sub amp does it lose all memory in your radio also phone numbers, my places, etc or does that have it's own battery back?
Old 01-16-06, 07:34 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Hey got a Quick question for you guys if you disconnect the battery to put a sub amp does it lose all memory in your radio also phone numbers, my places, etc or does that have it's own battery back?
Nothing like hijacking your own thread , just kidding. Most of the cars I've owned would store the radio stations, but my clock would reset when disconnecting the battery, so I would say you have a 50/50 shot of saving the data.

Quick Reply: Color difference on rear bumper and body