IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

any way to take out the reverse lock???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-06, 05:15 PM
tv2012
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any way to take out the reverse lock???

ok so i have had my black onyx 6MT for a couple of months now....one thing i am ready for is a new shift ****, dont really like the feel of the stocker-too fat..but I cant put an aftermarket one that I like because of the reverse lock on the MT cars...is there a way to take out the reverse lock?
Old 01-17-06, 10:21 PM
AndrewDC
Rookie

Originally Posted by mrbigtae
ok so i have had my black onyx 6MT for a couple of months now....one thing i am ready for is a new shift ****, dont really like the feel of the stocker-too fat..but I cant put an aftermarket one that I like because of the reverse lock on the MT cars...is there a way to take out the reverse lock?
I'm confused: why can't you just unscrew the **** and put a new one on?
uh-oh, I really wanted a new shift ****
Old 01-18-06, 06:04 AM
tv2012
Driver School Candidate

you can't put on most aftermarket shift ****'s because of the reverse lock. those with 6MT's will know what I am talking about.

Basically it is a safety precaution that does not allow you to shift into reverse unless you "raise" a ring that is immediately below the shift ****. This causes the ring to move up into the shift **** slightly and then you can shift into reverse.

The problem with most shift ***** is that the bottom is too narrow and the ring cannot raise up. I have a Razo **** that I like from my previous car, but I cannot screw it in because of the reverse lock.

If you find an aftermarket **** that is wide enought to accomodate the ring, (Sparco makes one that is wide at the bottom) you are fine, but in my case the reason I want a new **** is because the factory is too bulky for my feel/taste. It would make no sense to swap out a fat **** for another fat ****-for me anyway.

Anyone know how to deal with this issue? I know that the 2G IS is not the only car with reverse lock...
Old 01-18-06, 06:53 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

I know that the 2G IS is not the only car with reverse lock...
Every manual car I've owned has had a reverse lock, but never one like you describe. With most of the cars I've owned, you just push the stick down to release the lock.

Perhaps someone in the aftermarket will kill two birds with one stone, and engineer a short shifter that reworks the reverse lock.
Old 01-18-06, 10:32 AM
tv2012
Driver School Candidate

that would most definitely be ideal...any vendors out there have inside information to this solution?? I would certainly be interested in a short shifter that can bypass the reverse lock.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever driven a car with a reverse lock mechanism like this? I do not know the engineering behind it, but it seems that if the reverse lock "ring" were to be taken off completely, you would be able to put an aftermarket **** on. The only difference would be that you would be able to reverse at any point and possibly mistake reverse for 1st gear. Then again, if you do that, you probably shouldn't be driving a manual...
Old 01-18-06, 10:57 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

that would most definitely be ideal...any vendors out there have inside information to this solution?? I would certainly be interested in a short shifter that can bypass the reverse lock.

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever driven a car with a reverse lock mechanism like this? I do not know the engineering behind it, but it seems that if the reverse lock "ring" were to be taken off completely, you would be able to put an aftermarket **** on. The only difference would be that you would be able to reverse at any point and possibly mistake reverse for 1st gear. Then again, if you do that, you probably shouldn't be driving a manual...
The WRX STi has a locking collar reverse lockout, as did C4 Corvettes (if my memory serves... its been a while).
Old 01-20-06, 06:42 AM
tv2012
Driver School Candidate

so does no one have a solution to this?