IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 VS BMW 330 Clip.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 09:53 AM
ksfrogman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stLexusIS
From what I have read on the web everyone agrees that between the new IS and 3 series the BMW 3 series handles better than the IS, but the IS is by far the total package (in the category of "luxury sport sedan" ...needs luxury and performance taken into consideration).

I'm not come out here to say that the 3 series is not luxurious but the interior looks 10-15 years out of date (the interior has changed little even to 2006). Even though the BMW has a little more space in the back, the interior of the IS is truely top notch in this area with its incredibly beautiful interior design (come on... the tach is sweet with it's dynamic color change upon the set RPM, as well as the interior layout... mix of wood - metal - and soft leather or just metal look and soft leather).

Exterior design are a matter of opinion but they both look great.

Performance of the BMW is exceptional with its "driver inspiring" handling and wide powerband but the IS accelerates significantly faster and can be just as fun as the new 3 series when the driver initiates the "ritual code" LOL reminds me of something I would do before I play the old SNES Street Fighter II (use the same fighter in 2player mode cheat) It is a shame that the IS350 doesn't come in a 6 speed but the automatic is considered good enough to be used in competative racing as stated in that SPEED channel review of the new IS.

It's only my opinion but I truely beleive the IS is the total package in the "LUXURY sport sedan" section of automotives, and if we were basing our opinions on the best sport sedan the BMW would surely lose out to the superior handling of the 2 awd monsters: Subaru STI and Mitsubishi EVO. Seriously the 2006 Subura WRX (not the STI) beat out the 2006 BMW 3 series and the 2006 Lexus IS in a canadian comparo of "sport sedans" luxury wasn't taken into consideration because it was just about "sport" sedans.

My 2 cents
I have a 2006 BMW 330i, sport/premium package, but unlike other Lexus or BMW bashers, will do my best to give you an unbiased opinion. I have owned 3 supras, an MR2 and a Sienna, so I have nothing against Toyota. I also used to autocross a 1984 Supra and a 1989 Supra Turbo, so I know all about course variances. The one in the clip is basically two straight runs separated by a large curve. It proves that the IS is quicker in a straight line basically.

I was very impressed with the quality of the interior materials, fit and finish of the IS350. Lexus has an undisputed reputation for quality. The exterior is definitely an improvement over the previous generation IS, and I loved the new paint choices. The car looks sleek and futuristic. As a BMW owners, that was my devil's advocate speaking. What do I not like about the IS? First off, I don't DISLIKE the IS. I do have a few negative opinions though. The front end has very nice headlights and front grille. However, there is redundancy of design IMHO when you look at the foglights and opening below the bumper. I feel like I'm looking at IS and mini-ME IS above and below the bumper respectively. The back end also shows redundancy of design with not only two sets of rear tail lights, but extra red markers on the bumper (a la 4Runner design theme). I personally prefer simplicity. The BMW e90 carries the grille design below the bumper as a continuation of what was above the bumper. Audi and Mitsubishi do this as well (i.e., continue the design). The other issue is one of personal preference concerning tradition, model recognition, and ego satisfaction. As much as I like the IS350 styling, I also don't think it differentiates itself enough from the new GS or other Japanese models. The new Hyundai looks a bit like the new IS, and overall, the IS looks a little bit too much like other small Japanese vehicles, which I cannot help but equate with "economical" cars. I also fear that the next generation IS will look nothing like this one. Look at what happened with the GS when you compare the 1998-2005 models with the new one. The new 3-series (e90) is all new when compared with the e46 (outgoing model), but one can see obvious distinctive similarities, just as one can recognize a Porsche 911 through the years. This speaks tradition. The interior and exterior styling may not be glitzy, but it's the conservative elegance and simplicity that attracts my eye.

As for handling, braking, 50/50 front/rear distribution, slalom speed, DSC, DTC, etc., well the comparisons are all well documented. The bottom line is that one can rationalize any of the pros or cons, and that choices with these two wonderful machines (the IS and the 3-series) are often decided on subjective criteria.
Old 01-21-06, 12:01 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

First off this event has no credibility because it's a lexus event and the driver
of that BMW works for Lexus.
Secondly the IS is def faster but not by much(assuming manual 330i)
There is NO WAY the IS will get that big of a jump off the line. It looks
like the lexus had already reached 40 while the bmw was just hitting 30?

Simple physics and the latest copy of motor trend magazine
will tell you that when two cars have similiar power and 0-60
time difference of .5 seconds, you will not see a real notable difference
until above 40 mph. And in this case, the IS manages to
already be ahead 2 car lenghts?
the IS350 should start to do that around 60-70mph.
this is just
BS
Old 01-21-06, 02:31 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Agent0986
First off this event has no credibility because it's a lexus event and the driver
of that BMW works for Lexus.
Secondly the IS is def faster but not by much(assuming manual 330i)
There is NO WAY the IS will get that big of a jump off the line. It looks
like the lexus had already reached 40 while the bmw was just hitting 30?

Simple physics and the latest copy of motor trend magazine
will tell you that when two cars have similiar power and 0-60
time difference of .5 seconds, you will not see a real notable difference
until above 40 mph. And in this case, the IS manages to
already be ahead 2 car lenghts?
the IS350 should start to do that around 60-70mph.
this is just
BS
Why anyone would doubt that the IS350 could beat the 330i by a few car lengths
is beyond me,, there is almost a 1 second difference in these 2 car's 0-60
times.. that usually equates to about a 3-5 car lengh difference by the time
they have reached 60 mph.
Old 01-21-06, 02:48 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

1 second difference? how do you figure?
Judging by track results from motortrend(5.2 vs 5.8), car and driver(5.1 vs 5.5),

Also why dont you look at road and track's data panel for both cars:

330i:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...data_panel.pdf

0-30- 2.0 sec
0-40- 3.3 sec
0-50- 4.7 sec
0-60- 6.2 sec
0-70- 8.5 sec
0-80- 10.6 sec

IS350:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/d...data_panel.pdf

0-30- 2.4 sec
0-40- 3.4 sec
0-50- 4.7 sec
0-60- 6.0 sec
0-70- 7.8 sec
0-80- 9.6 sec

and those numbers are REALISTIC everyday conditions, face it, BMW is able to get substantially more HP to the rear wheels than the lexus. That's why the difference
won't be noticeable until, like i said, above 60 mph. If anything, in that video the 330i should of gotten a jump off the line.

but who even cares? all 3 tests, the 330i takes first place...In everyday driving the IS350 will be slightly faster. so what? will it be as fun as a tiny bit slower 330i? Nope.
i'm just saying that this is just a silly propaganda film from lexus.

Last edited by Agent0986; 01-21-06 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 04:31 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Agent0986
and those numbers are REALISTIC everyday conditions, face it, BMW is able to get substantially more HP to the rear wheels than the lexus. That's why the difference
won't be noticeable until, like i said, above 60 mph. If anything, in that video the 330i should of gotten a jump off the line.

but who even cares? all 3 tests, the 330i takes first place...In everyday driving the IS350 will be slightly faster. so what? will it be as fun as a tiny bit slower 330i? Nope.
i'm just saying that this is just a silly propaganda film from lexus.
Who cares if Bmw gets more Hp to the wheels, the fact is Bmws dont have much Hp to begin
with.. If you really think the fact that Bmw has 40 less hp than the is350 means nothing
then why does the fact that Bmw;s have a better road feel matter? bottom line is
one person may like pure acceleration and the other may appreciate a "better road feel".
You can't say because bmw does one certain thing better, that its a better car. Out
of all the categorys, Lexus clearly wins at most of them.. fit and finish, Reliability, more Hp,
better ride, quieter, better stereo, more options (better value), better Nav, better customer
service, etc.. In my book , the lexus outclasses the Bmw as a true luxury sports sedan..
Old 01-21-06, 04:36 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

The Road and Track tests of the Lexus and BMW were not done on the same day. If you look at the data panel, you'll see that it was 93 degrees on the day they tested the Lexus (10 degrees warmer than the day the BMW was tested); high heat saps performance. Also, the BMW tested had a manual transmission, the Lexus an automatic.

(I went to three different BMW dealers looking for a 330i with a stick to test drive, and not a single dealer had one in stock. That told me alot about which transmission most Americans are buying in their 3 series)
Old 01-21-06, 04:54 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ksfrogman
The BMW e90 carries the grille design below the bumper as a continuation of what was above the bumper. Audi and Mitsubishi do this as well (i.e., continue the design).
So you prefer this:

To this:

Well, I guess it's just personal preference... But I would say the Lexus looks a lot cleaner and more unified than the Audi. I think Audi has one of the ugliest grills in the industry. As the NY Times said about one of their cars at the Detroit auto show, the front end looks like it belongs on a semi truck...

Originally Posted by ksfrogman
The other issue is one of personal preference concerning tradition, model recognition, and ego satisfaction
I think you will find that most people do not drive Lexus cars because they need to feed their ego...
Old 01-21-06, 05:19 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1

I think you will find that most people do not drive Lexus cars because they need to feed their ego...

I might agree that most owners don't just like most BMW and Mercedes owners don't care as well, but it sure sounds like most topics here people keep bringing up how much more prestigious the Lexus is over other competition. In my opinion Lexus owners are becoming just like past BMW and Mercedees owners where image and prestige are factors and they want others to know it. We used to make fun of the BMW boards for these type of owner responese and now more and more it is starting to pop up here on these forums as well.
Old 01-21-06, 05:26 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I might agree that most owners don't just like most BMW and Mercedes owners don't care as well, but it sure sounds like most topics here people keep bringing up how much more prestigious the Lexus is over other competition. In my opinion Lexus owners are becoming just like past BMW and Mercedees owners where image and prestige are factors and they want others to know it. We used to make fun of the BMW boards for these type of owner responese and now more and more it is starting to pop up here on these forums as well.
Really? I think we are all aware that Lexus is a luxury-branded Toyota... Its primary strengths, such as great reliability and technology, make Lexus a great car, but I definitely don't think it has the prestige of some other brands. I mean, this brand didn't even exist 20 years ago. Sure it has more prestige than a normal Toyota, but compared to European brands, I don't think it's on the same level for heritage and prestige. But, most Lexus owners know that and don't care. For us, it's more about the present than the past.
Old 01-21-06, 05:40 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

So you prefer this:

To this:

Well, I guess it's just personal preference... But I would say the Lexus looks a lot cleaner and more unified than the Audi. I think Audi has one of the ugliest grills in the industry. As the NY Times said about one of their cars at the Detroit auto show, the front end looks like it belongs on a semi truck...

Like you say, it's all about personal taste. I think the newest Audi is one of the most beautiful, striking designs on the rode today. Have you seen one in person? It really is fantastic in my eyes, especially the rear end treatment.
Old 01-21-06, 05:51 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? I think we are all aware that Lexus is a luxury-branded Toyota... Its primary strengths, such as great reliability and technology, make Lexus a great car, but I definitely don't think it has the prestige of some other brands. I mean, this brand didn't even exist 20 years ago. Sure it has more prestige than a normal Toyota, but compared to European brands, I don't think it's on the same level for heritage and prestige. But, most Lexus owners know that and don't care. For us, it's more about the present than the past.

I actually agree with your opinion about Lexus being a top luxury car maker but still not quite in the league off some of the Eurpean brand in terms of prestige. However, just read these forums. There are a lot of heavy posters and many of them are considered very respected verteran CL members that keep bringing this up. There are a lot of the younger posters as well that then follow up in agreement. Maybe you can say the squeeky wheel gets the greese and I am only hearing the few very vocal members here on the forums, but I've noticed this trend since I signed up in 2002 so it isn't that isolateed. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong at all with owners wanting their cars to be among the most prestigious and respected brands as well. I too am a Lexus owner so that would only benefit me and my cars resale value when I sell them. The difference is with me I also enjoy other brands of cars as well and judge them on their own merrits and not the brand name. My point was to show that just as there are a small percentage of BMW or other car ownes that buy there cars for ego, or prestige, so it goes for Lexus as well.
Old 01-21-06, 06:02 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

"Out of all the categorys, Lexus clearly wins at most of them"

If lexus clearly wins most of them they can't seem to
top the 330i in ANY publication so don't
generalize your own opinion. I think
bmw has better fit and finish, take apart the IS350,
75% of the parts will be from the toyota bin.

All i was trying to say was that, that video was pure BS
and anyone else who thinks the 330i was trying
must be crazy. For god sakes, look at the end
how the 330i, gradually slows down while the IS350
pulls in and slams on the brakes.
Put these 2 cars on a real track with 2 unbiased professional
drivers and then we'll see.
Old 01-21-06, 06:10 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I agree with the test results i went to the Taste Of Lexus in washington DC when those demos were done they would let people ride in the cars to verify the results. I rode in the 530 vs. GS300 and saw how the drivers who work fo amci not lexus did those tests and the lexus did offer better performance than the BMW.
Old 01-21-06, 06:13 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it all winds down to if you want your car to FEEL really fast or BE really fast.
Old 01-21-06, 06:17 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

amci is not an independant unbiased company. They are hired by lexus to
push lexus cars. I remember one test they did where the LS430 was
scored hired than S600 and BMW 760Li. But they wire hired
by lexus to run the test so figures.

Quick Reply: IS350 VS BMW 330 Clip.