IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350 VS BMW 330 Clip.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 06:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Agent0986
First off this event has no credibility because it's a lexus event and the driver
of that BMW works for Lexus.
Secondly the IS is def faster but not by much(assuming manual 330i)
There is NO WAY the IS will get that big of a jump off the line. It looks
like the lexus had already reached 40 while the bmw was just hitting 30?

Simple physics and the latest copy of motor trend magazine
will tell you that when two cars have similiar power and 0-60
time difference of .5 seconds, you will not see a real notable difference
until above 40 mph. And in this case, the IS manages to
already be ahead 2 car lenghts?
the IS350 should start to do that around 60-70mph.
this is just
BS
I went to a Mercedes Benz event, they had their drivers pit a M3 vs a C32 around a track and then did a brake test.

Of course the Benz beat the M3 both times

Old 01-21-06, 06:18 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Out of all the categorys, Lexus clearly wins at most of them"

If lexus clearly wins most of them they can't seem to
top the 330i in ANY publication so don't
generalize your own opinion. I think
bmw has better fit and finish, take apart the IS350,
75% of the parts will be from the toyota bin.

All i was trying to say was that, that video was pure BS
and anyone else who thinks the 330i was trying
must be crazy. For god sakes, look at the end
how the 330i, gradually slows down while the IS350
pulls in and slams on the brakes.
Put these 2 cars on a real track with 2 unbiased professional
drivers and then we'll see.
At first when shopping for either the 330i or the IS350 I looked at both of them in a completely unbiased manner. If that was an auto 330i, I can see how the auto IS350 tore it up. I test drove a 330i right after I test drove the IS350 and the BMW was a slug. After slamming the go pedal to the floor on the BMW, it had to think for a couple of seconds and the engine rev'd up to the redline before it would go, where the IS would get immediate feedback when I went to WOT. So when comparing apples to apples, (auto IS350 to auto 330i) I can definately believe the outcome in the video. The other major turnoffs for the 330i included a price of about $3000 more for comparable options, and not to mention the cement truck like feel when hitting a dip in the road. It almost felt like I was driving my old '90 Mustang GT when the road surface became a little rough.

Scott
Old 01-21-06, 06:19 PM
LexFather

You do know the 3 series shares A LOT from the 1-series don't you? Pot calling the kettle HELLA black. lol

Old 01-21-06, 06:21 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
Like you say, it's all about personal taste. I think the newest Audi is one of the most beautiful, striking designs on the rode today. Have you seen one in person? It really is fantastic in my eyes, especially the rear end treatment.
In general I do think the Audi A4/S4 is a nice design. Very eye-catching. The back is fantastic, very sleek and modern:

I was just surprised that the person above said they like the Audi A4 front/grill area better than the Lexus's. To me that is the worst area of the car. As I have said before in other posts, I was very close to leasing a 2005.5 (new design) S4 sedan. But almost everyone I talk to about that car says, oh man, what were they thinking with that grill... Maybe it will grow on me, but so far no.

Back to the original topic: I also saw the "race" between the 330i and IS350 at Taste of Lexus. It was so obviously rigged that people in the audience were booing (and these are, for the most part, Lexus fans and owners). There is no doubt that the IS350 is quite a bit faster than the 330i off the line, especially the automatic (which is what we should be comparing after all, apples to apples). However, there is also little doubt in my mind that they told the 330i driver to ease off the gas a little bit. The 350 should win, but not by that much.
Old 01-21-06, 06:23 PM
LexFather

As for my event, I didn't time myself but I drove the 330 and Is350 like Andretti and IMO, it would be a negligble difference of who won. I will say the 3 was more comforatable and more confidence inspiring in the turns, the IS handled well but felt more disconnected. The engine pulls so hard though, in straights, it would make up the difference.

Old 01-21-06, 06:24 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

If you guys love that fast, quick acceleration, why not go for those other japanese racers, STI or lancer evo ? I had high aspirations for for the new IS350, i pushed back my 330i purchase
to test drive it. It was disappointing, the same old lexus feel with super fast acceleration
i could of gotten from those other japanese racers. With traffic the way that it is,
i can't see anyone safely going over 80-90 mph on public roads so that didn't matter to me.
And what about the G35? anyone driven one. it's the closest i think
any car company has come to matching BMW. it should be 330i vs G35 too.

Last edited by Agent0986; 01-21-06 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 06:29 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
As for my event, I didn't time myself but I drove the 330 and Is350 like Andretti and IMO, it would be a negligble difference of who won. I will say the 3 was more comforatable and more confidence inspiring in the turns, the IS handled well but felt more disconnected. The engine pulls so hard though, in straights, it would make up the difference.
The BMW felt great on smooth roads, but once the roads got a little bumpy (ie 90% of the ones in America) the bimmer's ride starts to fall flat on its face becoming very unsettled and punishing to the vehicles occupants. However, if you don't mind that "feature" in the BMW then I would definately say it is probably a slightly better handling car. Again though I do not frequently take corners going 90, but I do like to do the typical red light to red light lets see how fast I can get to the speed limit once in a while The IS is just a better all around lux sports car IMHO.

Scott

Last edited by Scotty99; 01-21-06 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 06:30 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys love that fast, quick acceleration, why not go for those other japanese racers, STI or lancer evo ? I had high aspirations for for the new IS350, i pushed back my 330i purchase
to test drive it. It was disappointing, the same old lexus feel with super fast acceleration
i could of gotten from those other japanese racers. With traffic the way that it is,
i can't see anyone safely going over 80-90 mph on public roads so that didn't matter to me.
And there is no IS350 vs 330i comparison. Go drive a G35. it's the closest i think
any car company has come to matching BMW. it should be 330i vs G35.
Some I guess just don't care for the looks of the STi or EVO. There are others that don't want turbocharged cars and prefere the N/A engines. There are a lot of reasons why one would opt not to but those other cars even if they are faster.

I would think the M35/45 comes closer to the BMW feel than the G35 no?
Old 01-21-06, 06:32 PM
LexFather

And what about the G35? anyone driven one. it's the closest i think
any car company has come to matching BMW. it should be 330i vs G35 too.
We had this convesation. STI/EVO apples to IS 350 Oranges. They have nothing in common outside fast acceleration and 4 doors.
The Skyline(G35) is another great drive but bigger than the A4/IS/3 and the interior just keeps most of us away.

Old 01-21-06, 06:32 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

And there is no IS350 vs 330i comparison.
LOL!!! You are the only person in the world who thinks this. Have you read ANY car magazines over the past 6 months??? Or any threads on this forum? The cars are comparable in almost every way. Performance, luxury, price, etc. In some areas the 330i compares favorably, and in some ways the Lexus does. But in every way, they are COMPARABLE.
Old 01-21-06, 06:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Some I guess just don't care for the looks of the STi or EVO. There are others that don't want turbocharged cars and prefere the N/A engines. There are a lot of reasons why one would opt not to but those other cars even if they are faster.

I would think the M35/45 comes closer to the BMW feel than the G35 no?
Skyline offers a stick and lighter, the Fuga handles well but you can feel its huge weight and its bulk all the time. IMO, Skyline is still sportier

Old 01-21-06, 06:39 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

It's not just about taking corners at 90. It's also about being connected to the road.
The road feel from the steering, the crisp steering, theres so much more.
It's all about the BMW driving pleasure, if I wanted straight-line
acceleration why would i buy the IS when i could get the
WRX- sti or lancer evo for under $30k.

330i makes you want to go out and drive, and not just drive, you want to explore new roads, just keep on driving. Not just take it out and stomp on the accelerator from light to light.
Anyway that was just my .02 you guys enjoy your IS350's and i'll enjoy my 330i.
THey are both amazing cars. One day we'll meet at a stop light and you guys can spank me, i wont mind.
Old 01-21-06, 06:39 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

i went to the lexus event and was picked to sit in the 330i when they did their little road course thing and my driver clearly was flooring the car all the way...he even said: " look, im really flooring it"...the IS was pretty much gone from that point on...also like you magazine love bmw's they have since the e36 m3...also lexus is toyota so why would it matter from what "BIN" they use parts of...if that bin has a 306 hp motor and be reliable too at a better cost...why not make a smarter purchase...ill take it anyday...so being biased as you will..thats fine...but the IS is a better over choice for me...i driven both and was more drrawn to the functionality and reliability lexus brings..sorry to say the feeling doesnt go toward the bmw...

Last edited by eg6turbo; 01-21-06 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 06:47 PM
Agent0986
Driver School Candidate

Haha this is in a way funny, I'm being eaten alive, anyone dare to come
over to the bmw forums and make a case for the IS350? It'll be so vicious,
You won't even know what hit you!
Old 01-21-06, 06:54 PM
LexFather

Haha this is in a way funny, I'm being eaten alive, anyone dare to come
over to the bmw forums and make a case for the IS350? It'll be so vicious,
You won't even know what hit you!
Okay, your trolling now.

And I AM on the BMW forums, bimmerforums, bimmerfest, e46 fanatics etc. And the group I know in Atanta is one cool bunch.

Quick Reply: IS350 VS BMW 330 Clip.