IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Out of state purchase help...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-06, 06:41 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of state purchase help...

I'll be buying my car in MA. I live in VA. Having done this before with a used car, I basically ended up just slapping my old plates on the car, driving it home, and registering it.

However, I somehow think that wasn't exactly legal, but who knows.

I'm assuming the dealer I'm working with in MA won't be able to take care of my out of state registration. I'll be trading my existing car in there and transferring the plates. Knowing that a few of you have purchased out of state vehicles, anyone know what the law actually is for driving an un-registered vehicle? I used to think I had 3-days to get it registered and the bill of sale was my pass. Anyone know otherwise?
Old 01-19-06, 08:06 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

If they're like CA, you will have to register the car in the purchasing state before you can drive it. Or have it shipped to your state first.
Old 01-19-06, 08:08 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Good Luck with the Purchase.

In MA, we have seven days to register a new car. I believe insurance coverage needs to be in place prior to hitting the street.

I bought mine in NJ and had it shipped.

I received the car with a 20 day temp tag which gave the NJ dealer time to get my MA registration completed and sent to me.

Being in Regulatory Affairs, I like this stuff and fished in the VA DMV site.

What might work for your is a Trip Permit.

Here are the details.

Which dealer are you purchasing from?

Vehicle Services: Trip Permit

Do you need to move an unregistered vehicle from one location to another? Then, a trip permit might be just what you need.

A trip permit allows the owner of any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer to move the vehicle from one location to another without registering the vehicle. These permits are valid for three consecutive days. Motorized vehicles must be properly insured or the owner must pay 1/12 of the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee. If the vehicle is designed as a property carrying vehicle, property cannot be carried while the vehicle is operated under the permit.

Permits are also available for those customers who may be purchasing a vehicle that will be registered in Virginia. These permits are valid for three days, beginning on the date of the original bill sale. The original bill of sale must be attached to the permit to validate the permit. The trip permit and the bill of sale must be kept in the vehicle to operate it under this permit.

If you are a vehicle owner and want to move your unregistered vehicle you must complete the Trip Permit Application (VSA-42), and you will need: proof of ownership such as a valid assignable title, valid assigned title, registration card, bill of sale, or other documents showing ownership; beginning and ending points of destination; dates of travel; $5 permit fee; and insurance certification or pay 1/12 of the uninsured motor vehicle fee.

If you are a prospective purchaser, you must complete the Trip Permit Application (VSA-42) and you will need: vehicle description (as known), beginning and ending points of destination, dates of travel and/or date of purchase (as known), $5 permit fee, and insurance certification or pay 1/12 of the uninsured motor vehicle fee.

You can apply for a trip permit at any customer service center or via the Internet.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 01-19-06 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-19-06, 08:19 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
I'll be buying my car in MA. I live in VA. Having done this before with a used car, I basically ended up just slapping my old plates on the car, driving it home, and registering it.

Slapping your old plates on the new car wasn't legal. I transferred the plates from my Audi to the Lexus, and was told that I couldn't put the old plates on the new car until the registration paperwork was completed at the DMV. They gave me a 30 day temporary tag (displayed in the rear window) to cover me while the paperwork was being processed.

I'd expect that the dealer in MA will give you temporary transit tags that will permit you to drive the car home and get it registered.
Old 01-19-06, 08:29 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Yeah, actually I did get a trip permit for my last out of state purchase. I had to re-read the language a few times, but I believe that covers me.

I'm working with Herb Chamers Lexus of Norwood... although it's actually in east Walpole.
Old 01-19-06, 08:29 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bichon
Slapping your old plates on the new car wasn't legal. I transferred the plates from my Audi to the Lexus, and was told that I couldn't put the old plates on the new car until the registration paperwork was completed at the DMV. They gave me a 30 day temporary tag (displayed in the rear window) to cover me while the paperwork was being processed.

I'd expect that the dealer in MA will give you temporary transit tags that will permit you to drive the car home and get it registered.
Aha... that rings a bell. Come to think of it, I do believe I got temp tags from the dealer the last time I bought a car up there.
Old 01-19-06, 08:35 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

When are you taking delivery?

We could have a micro meet.
Old 01-19-06, 08:41 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
When are you taking delivery?

We could have a micro meet.
Not till March/April.
Old 01-19-06, 01:37 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

The dealership should be able to manage all of this. Most people buy in Portland Oregon who live across the Columbia in Washington. The dealers take care of all the details including licensing and sales tax (which Oregon does not have).
Old 01-19-06, 01:57 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm

I'm assuming the dealer I'm working with in MA won't be able to take care of my out of state registration. I'll be trading my existing car in there and transferring the plates. Knowing that a few of you have purchased out of state vehicles, anyone know what the law actually is for driving an un-registered vehicle? I used to think I had 3-days to get it registered and the bill of sale was my pass. Anyone know otherwise?
Just putting the plates from your trade in onto the new vehicle does nothing. You are still operating an uninsured and unregistered vehicle. That would be an immediate impound and a trip to the local pd in cuffs for sure. And if you got into an accident, no matter who's fault, you would be liable for the damage to the other vehicle and its occupants= LAWSUIT. Its your choice.
Old 01-19-06, 02:16 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They wont let you drive off without insurance. Its easy to get insurance over the phone, the insurance company will fax the proof of insurance to the dealer, and you can drive off

Hopefully they will give you some sort of tags. Good luck
Old 01-19-06, 03:35 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

I live in SC, bought mine in WV. The WV dealer put on WV temp. tags (60 day). I paid the SC sales tax on my car with the purchase. The dealership sent me the title/reg. paperwork and a check coving the sales tax that I had paid. Took it to the local DMV and they gave me my SC registration and i was then able to slap my old license place on it.
Old 01-19-06, 04:26 PM
Pocketlint
Driver School Candidate

Make sure you have proof of insurance and you'll get temp tags. Good to go.
Old 01-19-06, 07:27 PM
Mickeyc001
Driver School Candidate

I also purchased from out of State. I live in Texas, and purchased my IS350 from Colorado. They slapped on a 60 day Colorado paper plate before shipping the car to me. I immediately went to my local Lexus dealer in Texas and got my State Inspection so the car would be legal. I had already called my insurance co and had the new car added to my policy right over the phone. Once my local Bank received the Title, they went down to the Tx DMV for me and mailed my plates. Pretty easy process.
Old 01-19-06, 10:13 PM
3erbeatsIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mickeyc001
I also purchased from out of State. I live in Texas, and purchased my IS350 from Colorado. They slapped on a 60 day Colorado paper plate before shipping the car to me. I immediately went to my local Lexus dealer in Texas and got my State Inspection so the car would be legal. I had already called my insurance co and had the new car added to my policy right over the phone. Once my local Bank received the Title, they went down to the Tx DMV for me and mailed my plates. Pretty easy process.

The Bank stood in line at the TX DMV for you? thats a first.... Usually you go there and declare the value ( so they can charge you 6.25%) and show your proof of State safety inspection.