IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250AWD performance!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 07:41 PM
SILVA1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IS250AWD performance!!!!!

I'm considering getting an IS 250AWD drive since I see snow were I live and work, but I wanted to get the opinions from those of you who already have the AWD on how is the performance in the real world driving. I'm planning to test drive pretty soon but you know that a test drive doesn't really give an accurate impression, not like driving it as you regularly would.
Old 01-20-06, 09:03 PM
mslatter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SILVA1
I'm considering getting an IS 250AWD drive since I see snow were I live and work, but I wanted to get the opinions from those of you who already have the AWD on how is the performance in the real world driving. I'm planning to test drive pretty soon but you know that a test drive doesn't really give an accurate impression, not like driving it as you regularly would.

It's going to depend what you're used to driving. Coming from a 98 SUV, the 250AWD feels plenty peppy to me, and I don't regret forgoing the extra horsepower at all. Were I coming from a Corvette, I'd be gravely disappointed.

Act like a grownup on your test drive. Then ask if you can try some turns "at speed." Tell the sales guy you don't want to wind out the car, but that you're reluctant to buy a sedan with sporting pretenses without trying it out a bit. If you've to that point behaved yourself, and seem serious, he'll probably let you.
Old 01-21-06, 12:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

I had an IS250 AWD as a loaner while my car was being serviced, and found the car lacking in the 'cojones' department. The incredible torque of the IS350, which never fails to put a smile on my face, was just not there. Delaware gets even less snow than NJ, I'd definitely recommend the 350.
Old 01-21-06, 01:58 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oui. I think mslatter and Bichon basically explained it very well. Depends on what you're use to driving and realize that there is no comparison between the power of the IS 350 RWD over the IS 250, especially the AWD version.

I have the IS 250 AWD and I'm quite happy with it. I owned a '99 Mitsubishi Galant ES V6 previously so although I know what I am missing out on the IS 350, I'm still extremely happy with the IS 250 AWD and don't feel it's underpowered to me at all. Some people will tell you the IS 250 RWD/AWD is seriously underpowered, but realistically speaking that opinion is highly subjective.

I can still get a lot of fun on by popping into SS-mode and using the paddles to downshift into 2nd gear into and out of corners... Of course, it would be a lot more fun in the IS 350, but you can still get a bit of sportiness out of an IS 250 AWD.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-21-06, 05:13 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As others have stated, I couldn't agree more about it depending on what your coming out of. (and a dash of what your expectations for a new car are!!)

I had (and enjoyed!) for the last 8 years a '98 Audi A4 2.8 V6 Quattro. I find the Lexus to be much quicker then the Audi. Add to that a smooth ride and the fact its lots of fun to drive and I couldn't be happier.

You asked a great question and I see your planning a test drive, please let us know what you think once you've driven it.

TripleL
Old 01-21-06, 07:54 PM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

Something else that I am considering right now is the options available for the 250 AWD vs. 350. I test drove a 250 AWD and it seemed adaquate (it was only about 10 miles of driving, I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder which I am going to keep). However, I do like the some of the options available for the 350 that aren't available here in Delaware for the 250 AWD. But maybe thats me just trying to justify to myself buying the bigger engine.

By the way, about a month ago Lexus of Wilmington was still asking stick price.
Old 01-22-06, 11:20 AM
shox
Pole Position

If you're looking for a daily driver, this is it. Everyday, snow, rain, ice, dry pavement, etc, it'll handle good and will keep you on the road. Looking for something to inflict whiplash during acceleration, stick with the 350 or other higher performance vehicles. 250AWD isn't all about performance, I have one, it's a good car to drive daily in my opinion but probably not something I would take to the track.

Test drive it and see, the decision in the end will ultimately be based on test drives.
Old 01-23-06, 06:07 PM
SILVA1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys....................I am actually looking for an everyday vehicle with good traction in the snow, especially since I have to drive into the hills of Pennsylvania daily to work and they usually get more snow than I get in Delaware. I will definitely evaluate the car on a test drive, I have a 5 month old son so all I need is space for his car seat for now so the back leg room is of no concern to me.

As for Lexus of Delaware, they are crazy, they qouted me $500 off the MSRP. I guess I'll try Wilkie Lexus as I hear they are usually a little more flexible with there prices.
Old 01-24-06, 06:59 AM
dsuibhne
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys....................I am actually looking for an everyday vehicle with good traction in the snow, especially since I have to drive into the hills of Pennsylvania daily to work and they usually get more snow than I get in Delaware. I will definitely evaluate the car on a test drive, I have a 5 month old son so all I need is space for his car seat for now so the back leg room is of no concern to me.

As for Lexus of Delaware, they are crazy, they qouted me $500 off the MSRP. I guess I'll try Wilkie Lexus as I hear they are usually a little more flexible with there prices.

Please let us know how you make out with Wilkie. I heard their flexible as well.

Thanks...................
Old 01-25-06, 07:25 PM
acecosmo
Driver School Candidate

I'm sort of in the same boat as you trying to decide between the 250 AWD and th 350. I'm leaning toward the 350 and a good set of snow tires for the winter. That way I'll have the joy of that extra power in the summer.

Now let's just hope these DE/PA dealers start to drop their high asking prices. There is no way I'd pay ~$4-5k over invoice for the IS. Sure, it's nice, but I can wait.
Old 01-28-06, 07:40 PM
SILVA1
Driver School Candidate

I will be test driving the IS250 AWD next week for an overnight drive so I can take it home to spend a little more time with it. I'll pick it up from work drive it back to work and then drive it home that evening and then the next day back to work and then to the dealer from there.
Old 02-02-06, 08:16 AM
dsuibhne
Driver School Candidate

How did your test drive go? Was the dealership Wilkie?

Thanks.....
Old 02-02-06, 05:04 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

new Road and Track has a AWD shootout

Results:
1. Audi A4 2.0T Quattro
2. Subary Legacy GT
3. BMW 325xi
4. Lexus IS250 AWD
5. Mazdaspeed6
6. Infiniti G35x
7. Volvo S40
Old 02-05-06, 05:40 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Count me in; on the boat for the 250 AWD vs 350. For me, the 250 comes w/a manual transmission, which i really miss. I'm also looking at future performance mods down the road.

I had a 99 vette w/a 6mt. The thing was a beast, but if it rained or snowed forget about it!. You can have 700 hp, but if you can't put it to the ground it does you no good. I'm expecting that in the next 2 years there will be a turbo kit available for this car, with about 350 hp to the wheels....

Anyone else looking to a turbo charged future w/the 250awd?