IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

January Prices and woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 12:19 AM
seansd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default January Prices and woes

Hey I've been shopping around here in San Diego for the last few weeks and am getting nowhere on negotiating below MSRP. I keep getting the "demand is much greater than supply" speech. I have tried fleet pricing options, costco, internet pricing, threats, I'm getting nowhere. Anyone having any luck negotiating below MSRP this month? I thought prices would drop this month. FWIW I'm looking for IS350, Nav, ML, and Luxury. Best I'm getting is 44469. Also noone has anything close to this on their lot, all are saying that this is a special order and thus MSRP.
Old 01-21-06, 12:31 AM
rdrunner
Rookie

this car is not an special order... but they are definatly harder to find. I don't know about the demand but you can look for the thread where they gave out the number type and quantity that will be delivered this month. Based on that you can guess what will be available in your color and see you chances. I think pricing on non ML and non lux IS350 is indeed discounted. I got quoted 1800 off at a dealer up here in norcal.
Old 01-21-06, 05:07 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Unfortunately, you have no leverage. If the dealer things he can sell the car at MSRP, that's his prerogative... it's a free market after all (well, mostly).

So it sounds like in your area, you'll probably have to suck it up and pay what they're asking, or find an out of state dealer willing to drop the price to move a unit.

Oh... and threats definitely aren't going to help. When was the last time you felt like giving something to a guy who's threatening you?
Old 01-21-06, 08:41 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you belong to the Automobile Club of So. Cal. try going through them. Worked for me
Old 01-21-06, 08:50 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Buy it in Orange County/LA area. You will get it cheaper here.
Old 01-21-06, 11:53 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Buy it in Orange County/LA area. You will get it cheaper here.
On a non ML 350 with nav/premium, I was given a $1k discount before I even got inside. I am not ready to buy just yet, and he said no problem. I said, I would be buying within a few weeks and asked about car availability, his answer was that they will get whatveer car I want and if needed, will give me one of the service cars to drive until it gets in....I was totally blown away with this offer.

When we get our settlement from BMW, I'll be going to this guy and getting a 350, ML/Lux in Matador. It's San Diego.....PM me and I'll give you his contact info.
Old 01-21-06, 11:57 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Also, I used Costco with Riverside Lexus and was told, no discounts, no way, no how.....

Longo Lexus offered me $500 off on a 250 Prem/nav. Other than them, I talked to Crown in Ontario, a dealer in San Antonio , Tx with no discounts.

On cars which are netting the dealer a $4k proffit and another 2% holdback, they are cleaning house on the new IS's. I can see why they are not budging on prices. After all, they are almost all preordered so.........
Old 01-21-06, 01:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by seansd
Hey I've been shopping around here in San Diego for the last few weeks and am getting nowhere on negotiating below MSRP. I keep getting the "demand is much greater than supply" speech. I have tried fleet pricing options, costco, internet pricing, threats, I'm getting nowhere. Anyone having any luck negotiating below MSRP this month? I thought prices would drop this month. FWIW I'm looking for IS350, Nav, ML, and Luxury. Best I'm getting is 44469. Also noone has anything close to this on their lot, all are saying that this is a special order and thus MSRP.
thats because ML is an rare find still, so they have to special order one just for you...
Old 01-21-06, 01:30 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I want an IS250 but I dont want to pay anything near MSRP. I want at least $4k off.

I'm not in a hurry im willing to wait 6 months or even a year to buy one.
Old 01-21-06, 04:14 PM
berg7445
Rookie

Originally Posted by seansd
If a dealer has a stock of IS's on their lot and tells you that they will not move from MSRP becuase "demand is greater than supply" they are throwing BS. If demand was greater than supply then they would not have any stock. There is demand for certain models and options, it is just that Lexus is falsly increasing demand by not mass producing cars with certain options that people want. That way they can claim that demand is higher than expected because they are not moving the models on the lots that no one wants. People that want options have to special order or find allocations.
Old 01-21-06, 04:18 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by berg7445
If a dealer has a stock of IS's on their lot and tells you that they will not move from MSRP becuase "demand is greater than supply" they are throwing BS. If demand was greater than supply then they would not have any stock. There is demand for certain models and options, it is just that Lexus is falsly increasing demand by not mass producing cars with certain options that people want. That way they can claim that demand is higher than expected because they are not moving the models on the lots that no one wants. People that want options have to special order or find allocations.
Whatever the case is, it doesn't matter. If the dealer says sorry, we won't sell at anything other than MSRP, and are willing to let you walk, no amount of haggling, threatening or anything else is going to get them to change their minds. They obviously feel they can sell their inventory at asking price, and until they decide otherwise, you're going to have to be willing to pay or walk.

Last edited by mcfly; 01-21-06 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 05:24 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Going to have to agree with heffergm there. If they're spewing BS and are sticking to their guns, there's nothing much you can do about it. I paid MSRP for my vehicle and while most people here would be saying that I got ripped off, I didn't feel ripped off because I know for a fact the only IS 250/350's that Lexus Of Seattle was able to keep "in stock" were the green IS 250/350's they were allocated. Those were the only ones I saw and know that went for under MSRP to this day. (About $1K under MSRP, so still WAY over invoice).

Do what you think is best. That's all you can do. Good luck.

Cheers,
Kermee