IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question on Battery disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 12:32 PM
Lexo350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Question on Battery disconnect?

Can someone help me on this. I want to put a sub amp with one ten, if I disconnect the battery to run my hot wire to the trunk of the car will the settings on the GPS, Radio stations, basically all settings I placed such as phone numbers too, will it erase all that or does it have its own battery back up for memory? Any help would be great?
Old 01-21-06, 12:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

they will erase, like in any other car...
Old 01-21-06, 02:56 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, just like a cellphone, you remove the battery and everything is lost.

Some things will be lost, some will not. You may wish to seek the facts before you act.

I've never disconnected the battery, I've only had a dead battery and I lost nothing but technically a dead battery is only a "very weak" battery in my case.
Old 01-21-06, 03:44 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

when i disconnected the battery from my car to install my HID Kit my windows didn't work afterwards and i had to reperform the seat belt alarm mod otherwise everything else was saved it still was bonded to the cellphone and still had the numbers in the phone book. The windows did not roll down and the auto up and auto down function stopped working after i unplugged the battery. The driver side door was unable to roll down any of the other windows except for the driver window. To fix this i had to go to each door individually and hold the window up tab for about 5 seconds.
Old 01-21-06, 03:48 PM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just removed the battery this afternoon on my non-Nav 250 to put in a grommet for a 1/0 guage power wire for a future aftermarket audio system. The radio presets were lost but the garage door buttons on the rear view mirror were kept. The A/C took a few seconds to reset also.

For 8 guage wire (good up to about a 250-300 watt amp) there is an approximately a 3" rubber grommet on the firewall to the left of the battery the wire can be run through. Be very carefull about punching a hole through the grommet.

For my 1/0 gauge aftermarket grommet (click here) I drilled a 1-1/8" hole directly above the factory rubber grommet. On the passenger side I had to remove the lower dash panel, door/dash trim, knee airbag, glovebox, and fuse box to access the area where the grommet is. It took about 3 hours or work to do everything correctly and get the car back together.
Old 01-21-06, 03:56 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
they will erase, like in any other car...
Not all vehicles lose setting when the battery is disconnected. On my old Audi S4, GPS memory, homelink and radio station presets were retained. Trip computer memory (e.g. long term speed and gas mileage averages) were lost, and the auto-up function on the windows had to be reset. I believe that some electronics use a capacitor to retain memory through a short power interuption, while others use non-volitile memory.
Old 01-21-06, 04:11 PM
Dr C
Driver

Several years ago, I purchased a small adapter that uses a 9-volt battery and plugs into the cigarette lighter. It keeps all of your presets. Just make sure that you don't try to run an electrical device that uses a lot of electricity (like run windows up and down) when on the little 9-volt battery.

It sure beats having to re-set everything. I think that I got it at Brookstone Hard to Find tools or some place like that. They might even have them at Radio Shack. If anyone is really interested, I'll try to figure out where I got it with a part number.