IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oh no- check engine light and check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07 | 08:27 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISmojo
My VSC/Trac/CEL has been on for a few months now. Car runs great and i've been back and forth with my retarded dealership here. I initially spent 4 1/2 hours waiting on my first visit. Then they proceeded to tell me that it was an O2 sensor and they didn't have one in stock. Why a dealership doesn't have one in stock is beyond me. But nevermind the fact they made me wait 4.5 hours to read a stupid code. So they tell me they would place one on order and give me a call. Did they call? Nope I had to call them a week later and check. Shortly after that I took my car in again. This time I got a loaner. They had the car all day then they tell me they can't replace the sensor because of my intake and proceeded to charge me $125 for a "diagnostic fee".

My dealership is claiming that my Fujita Intake could be the culprit and they won't replace it under warranty unless I put the stock box in. So I told them I was not going to rip out my aftermarket intake and put the stock box in just so they can reset the code, have me drive it for a few hundered miles, then return it again for reading and repair. So I asked them how much it would cost just to replace the stinkin O2 sensor and they said.......... $250 for the sensor and $175 in labor. Idiots... Anyway, they wont be seeing me anymore unless its absolutely necessary. I ordered an O2 sensor from Sewell for less than half of what my dealership was trying to rip me for.

My Code is P0051 & P2197. O2 sensor, bank 2, Sensor 1
My car has 17k miles on it and I'd say the lights came on at 14k ish.
Any updates? Or are you still driving around with the the VSC light on?
Old 12-02-07 | 03:07 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

I just installed my hids today and my vsc & check engine light came on. Is there something that I did incorrectly when I installed my hids? Everything seems to work fine except those damn warnings. If i take it back to the dealer did I do anything to void the warranty by installing the hids? BTW i dont know if this helps but i used the relays w/ the hid kit.

Thanks
Old 12-02-07 | 04:39 PM
inwood
Lead Lap

Nevermind, I just started my car up again and the lights are off. Hopefully they wont come back.
Old 03-01-08 | 06:04 AM
vodka1
Driver School Candidate

Red face

Hi,

This just happened to me this morning. I started my Is220d in my garage for first time in the day (15 °C in the garage), went out on the road till next stop. And then when driving accros the STOP, I had a "gaz cut" like I couldn't accelerate anymore. Then the lights came on and with the Check VSC message. I had no more gas above 1300 trs/min but at lowest rounds/min I had good torque power.

I went back home, then left the car for half an hour. I started it again and result was the same. Still the lights on, but this times, the engine was working as usally. Everything was ok with the gas power even at highest rounds/min. But lights were still on....

Then I got the car washed... And when I turned it on again, the lights and VSC message had disappear.

Hope it won't come back again. But I'll tell the dealer next time...

What's sure is it's not exclusive to 250/350 engines... Even 220d engine is impacted...
Old 03-04-08 | 10:02 PM
MoFlava
Rookie

I hate to add so many replies to this thread but the a very similar thing happened to my 2006 IS250 a couple of days ago. I'm at 35,000 and just about to go in for my oil change, and the car sounded a little weird to me. It was shaking at idle but i didn't think anything of it. I stepped on the gas and it hesitated and then took off a little abruptly.

This sort of thing continued for a couple of days until 3 days ago when my car just suddenly died when trying to pull it out of my garage. It wouldn't go more than 20 feet unless i constantly put my foot on the gas, even in neutral. Check VSC & Engine Light came on....

I read many threads about the oil being too rich and maybe a slight bit of gas leaking into it. Sure enough, I smelled the dip stick, and it wreaked of gas. I had my car towed to the nearest Lexus dealersh1t where they had the same problem i did.... Then I get a call today and said that everything was working perfectly, they changed the oil and it was fine.

I was very skeptical and still am, seeing as I am scheduled to pick the car up tomorrow when all they did was change the oil.

The car has never had any of the TSIB done on it. What should I recommend for them to do? I'm nervous because the factory warranty will be over soon and I don't want to get stuck with this problem forever.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MoFlava; 03-04-08 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-05-08 | 04:00 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Sounds like a rotary engine has been mystically placed in a bunch of ISx50s... if you smell gas in the oil get to the dealership ASAP.... especially under warranty...
Old 03-05-08 | 12:46 PM
MoFlava
Rookie

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Sounds like a rotary engine has been mystically placed in a bunch of ISx50s... if you smell gas in the oil get to the dealership ASAP.... especially under warranty...

Ok, all joking aside, the car is has been at the dealer for 3 days and they said that there is nothing wrong with it after they changed the oil. I'm scheduled to pickup my "perfectly running" car today. Any TSIBs that I should have them run while it's in the shop?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-08 | 09:25 AM
MoFlava
Rookie

Update:: It was a cracked intake hose. The engine was getting too much air. Took them 4 days to diagnose. Ouch!
Old 03-13-08 | 10:00 PM
Shoyuu
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Afraid to report that this has happened to me also. 2008 IS250 with less then 10k miles. Funny thing is my car was at the dealer on Monday to get the 10k service done.

Service guy said that the shift solenoids were stuck. I've never heard of this or of anyone that's had the same issue. They opened up a case number and contacted TAS. They did a reset and nothing else came up so they let me have my car back.

Codes: P0751, P2714, C1201
Old 03-26-08 | 10:06 AM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Here comes another IS250 victim. I was driving to work on the freeway, when I noticed my RPM shot up to 4 thousand and then 5 thousand. I barely have my foot on the gas and way driving only at 60 mph. The car does not seem to be going beyond 60 and is running rough. Any slight touch of the gas pedal, the engine will rev like crazy, but speed does not seem to increase. While on the freeway and a few miles from the nearest exist. I put the car is manual mode to see if anything will change. Nothing change. I was able to exist safely and pulled over and turn off the car. Once I turn it back on. The Check VSC is on the display, Check Engine Light and VSC light up. Turning the car on and off did not help. I was 2 miles away from work and got there safely.

Unlike previous posts, I have over 20K ODO and my last fill up was 4 days ago. I tried the gas cap trick and that didn't help at all. I will bring my car in tomorrow morning. There is no mentioning of the car being rough in previous posts. I hope I this will be a easy fix.
Old 03-26-08 | 11:53 AM
lilthanh19
Driver

and yet another....i have a 2008 IS250MT. while on the highway, all three came on. i only have 6000 miles on the car. i put my fujita in when i had 1000miles and its been great since then. i filled up last night, so i check the gas cap, took it off and put it back on. If its the gas cap, how long after should the light go off? if it doesn't go away in the next couple of days, i'm takin it to the dealer. i haven't had a chance to smell the oil or anything yet, so i'll probably see if there is gas in there later. Having the grill surround off shouldn't cause it to take up more air would it?
Old 01-16-09 | 09:44 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Hey all. Well I drove my car last weekend and these lights came on in my Is350 2006 as well. I read about these issues with I first got my car but didn't have anything pop up until now. I'm just about at 52000 miles.

I was going to bring it to the dealer today and see what's up. I smelled the dip stuck and I can faintly smell gas. (my sense of smell isn't too good). I just remembered to check my gas cap today so ill see if that was an issue.

But my other concern is this. I haven't driven since Sunday and today I realize my car won't shift past 4th gear. I saw some other people were having problems with loss of power/rpm but has anyone not had it shift past 4th? We did have a cold night here in Houston (the day I drove) so I'm wondering if a hose cracked or something. I'll let you guys know what the dealer says after today.
Old 01-20-09 | 07:20 AM
rbrown409
6th Gear

Default Check VSC light came on

My wife called today on her way to work and said her Check VSC light came on. She said the car shakes a little when she's idling. From previous posts, I assume this means there might be some gas in the oil? I will check her dipstick when I meet her at home for lunch today and see if it smells.

Has ANYONE found out why or how the gas would be leaking in to the oil tank? If so, should I take it to the dealership or a local foreign car repair man? (I think the warranty has expired).
Old 01-20-09 | 07:46 AM
Ta250
Driver

I had the same lights came on, took it to the dealer and they change the o2 sensor and the lights never came back on.
Old 01-20-09 | 07:47 AM
Ta250
Driver

Originally Posted by rbrown409
My wife called today on her way to work and said her Check VSC light came on. She said the car shakes a little when she's idling. From previous posts, I assume this means there might be some gas in the oil? I will check her dipstick when I meet her at home for lunch today and see if it smells.

Has ANYONE found out why or how the gas would be leaking in to the oil tank? If so, should I take it to the dealership or a local foreign car repair man? (I think the warranty has expired).
How many miles do you have on your car now? If you still have the warranty just take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Oh no- check engine light and check VSC