IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perma-Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 08:48 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, we put down $5,000 on a credit card for the points and then just paid it off. good thinking on the interest for the coating but I think I figured it to be about a $30 issue over the life of the lease. since we were at the dealership for 4 hours (so long that I had to go back to work before it was over) I don't expect to just pop into the F&I guys office I will definetely ask for a double-coat not that I would know the difference.
Old 01-23-06, 08:52 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wakesetter
yeah, we put down $5,000 on a credit card for the points and then just paid it off. good thinking on the interest for the coating but I think I figured it to be about a $30 issue over the life of the lease. since we were at the dealership for 4 hours (so long that I had to go back to work before it was over) I don't expect to just pop into the F&I guys office I will definetely ask for a double-coat not that I would know the difference.
so you've made up your mind, no?
Old 01-23-06, 08:53 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah, the money factor was .00255 and they dropped it to .00245 to save a few extra dollars on the perma plate. don't know if they could legally take it back to .00255 if we cancelled coating and fibreguard?
Old 01-23-06, 08:58 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

Kensteele, as you have already figured out I have been going back and forth on this issue. at this point I almost feel it is my duty to go thru with the process and report back on the experience and positive or negative (e)ffects of the treatment. maybe I can be of some help to future lexus owners. all I know is when I looked at the appointment log book, it was booked solid with 5 treatments a day for 2-3 weeks solid. more sucka's than just us.
Old 01-23-06, 09:07 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

.224 is 5.3% interest so you're right it's not much difference. If you see another F&I manageer they might not catch the rate change so you might luck out. Redoing the contract shouldn't take more than about 30 minutes, 15 if they're fast and I would suggest going morning or mid week so it's not busy, fyi.
A lot of people think it's a rip off, but I'm happy with my choice. I'd get it on every car I drive since I'm a sloppy person. Hardly wash my car and eat and drink in my car and never wipe my feet before stepping on light gray mats. lol
Old 01-23-06, 09:14 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

so does the treatment work best in the way that it resists stains, dirt, discoloration or in the way that they have to clean it or repair it under warranty whenever it gets stained? I'm not sloppy but sometimes in the winter I just don't care
Old 01-23-06, 09:25 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

It helps the cleaning process, but it's not like the carpet commercial where they spill red wine on it and it doesn't soak in. lol Just makes it easier to shampoo mats. Keeps leather from drying out and cracking, especially the left part of driver seat where your thigh sits from getting in and out of car. The warranty states it doesn't cover stuff like blood, vomit, etc....for real its printed on there. Gross huh. You still have to wash the car, but I get the cheap $7 wash on Tuesday special at local wash place. I don't get the super fancy expensive one and my car looks great.
The big thing is the paint, helps keep it glossy, protects against water spots, bird crap, tree sap and if you have very light scratches it will make it easier to buff out. If any of these things don't come out during normal car wash, then the dealer will take care of it for free.
I once had water spots on my car and the dealer buffed it out for me and detailed for free. I'm sure this is for everyone and not just because I was an employee at the time.
Old 01-23-06, 09:29 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

yeah, they also said I can stop by any day of the week and they will wash it for free. don't worry, I will get my $400 out of them. I'm a little pissed there will be no more puking in the back seat (lol).
Old 01-24-06, 05:16 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kensteele, as you have already figured out I have been going back and forth on this issue. at this point I almost feel it is my duty to go thru with the process and report back on the experience and positive or negative (e)ffects of the treatment. maybe I can be of some help to future lexus owners. all I know is when I looked at the appointment log book, it was booked solid with 5 treatments a day for 2-3 weeks solid. more sucka's than just us.
sounds good. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191500
Old 01-28-06, 07:57 PM
mickey513
Driver School Candidate

Perma Plate is nothing more then a WAX. If they tell you anything different, i'll take my money and run! My gf's dad had perma plate put on one his car for $350 at the dealership, got duped into it. I called 2 near by auto detail shop and they too had perma plate and offered to put it on the car for $150 w/ the 5 year waranty! *I did not tell them about the dealershp** I ask them if it was a sealent or wax, both told me that it is advertised as a sealent but it's nothing more than a wax.

I have never seen a car's paint fade in 5 years if you wash you car every two weeks. All you are doing is getting butt raped if you buy that perma plate system from the dealership.

Use this instead, it's a wax but uses synthetic polymer:

http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-...ation-Tech-Wax

And for $16, you'll be much happier and you'll be VERY HAPPY with the results.
Old 01-28-06, 08:14 PM
Soda
Pole Position

NO, legally they cannot raise the factor/rate once you've signed a contract, UNLESS you believe them and just do it but it's too risky for them. But with thier survey at stake you have the upper hand. JUST BE POLITE. You should be able to cancel it and get a full refund & either re-sign or if the bank already booked your deal it's too late to re-sign, they will just mail TMCC a check for the amount. (same money factor as Toyota)
Old 01-29-06, 09:54 PM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

PLZ Do not get the perma care crap!!!!! i went to the dealership to resolve some unrelated issues (to the perma care) and was referred to the body shop that does work for my lexus dealership. One of the things i had asked the body shop owner was about the perma care. He stated that it was a complete waste of money and that he even offered me some bottles of the exact same stuff that Lexus uses for free. Apparently he can get the very same stuff for about $10 a bottle.
Old 01-30-06, 12:49 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife paid for the perma plate protection on our new IS. From everything I have read, it is a $500 wax job and a dealer rip off at that. The price is shown on the signed contract but we have not had the service performed yet. This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to get out of it at this point. I don't want to let them touch the car let alone pay them to do it. Is there anything we can do? Thanks.
It's a $20 wax and $10 can of Scotchguard. You can buy it and similar stuff on eBay. My wife works for Audi and it's a nice little earner for the dealerships. They can make more selling this stuff than they can on selling a new car.
Old 01-30-06, 10:16 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you saw my F&I lady, you'd buy everything she offered.....

yep I got the simonize pkg for $399, I know the stuff is crap but those supermodel looks got me!
Old 08-26-07, 08:50 AM
USCjd
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone, I'm pretty Late on this discussion but was wondering if the Perma Plate with Tires for Life Reward are worth it? I just bought an IS350 in obsidian and they offered the package for $1295. The Tires are an incentive if I buy the Perma Plate. I just have to do my oil changes at a Lexus dealership -- which I was told I could negotiate the price on each time at the service centers.

I'm really only interested in it because of the tires. The Turanza's are like over $800 each time you have to replace them it seems on Tire Rack

Quick Reply: Perma-Plate Question