IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Perma-Plate Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 04:07 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perma-Plate Question

My wife paid for the perma plate protection on our new IS. From everything I have read, it is a $500 wax job and a dealer rip off at that. The price is shown on the signed contract but we have not had the service performed yet. This is probably a stupid question, but is there anyway to get out of it at this point. I don't want to let them touch the car let alone pay them to do it. Is there anything we can do? Thanks.
Old 01-23-06, 04:14 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that even if it is in the contract, you can still decline the service and have it removed. Most other "add-ons" are similar....you can try. This perma-plate deal, is there any type of warranty you might get after they apply? Just trying to gauge if it is worth the $500 because a lot of people will tell you that you have wasted your money but in fact if 3 years down the road your car starts to look crappy....
Old 01-23-06, 04:20 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

that's the problem, it doesn't cover any normal wear and tear and there are mandatory re-applications, etc to keep the warranty up. not to mention the car is a 3 year lease so any paint problems will be factory defects more than likely anyway. I've read 100's of posts on the subject and the dealers and perma plate representatives are the only ones that are NOT saying it's crap. most people are saying it's a scam. makes me sick and I just want it out of the contract.
Old 01-23-06, 04:38 PM
upbull340
Pole Position

Your not the only one. My wife did it 7 years ago. There was no telling her it was a waste of money. I'd suggest you type a letter and deliver it to the sales manager or GM at the dealership telling him you do not what them to proceed with the installation when the car arrives. That might be your best protection.

If they are like my dealer they will honor your request. Just be nice to them and they should respond in kind.
Old 01-23-06, 05:23 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

well, we have had the car for 8 days and the appointment is tomorrow. so I was hoping to get some feedback on my options for getting out of it, before I pull a no show. of course it's after 5pm now so they can't tell me anything. i should have started this thread earlier but I just assumed that once the paperwork was signed there was nothing we could do about it. the cars paint looks pristine and I'm also worried about swirl marks.
Old 01-23-06, 05:36 PM
is4me2
Lead Lap

If I were you I would definitely tell them you are not paying for it....you are LEASING the car. Why would you spend your money on something you are renting for three years? If you were BUYING the car and you lived in a climate like Florida it would may be worth it. I had it done on a red Pontiac Firebird years ago and sure enough the paint really started oxidizing after so many years in the Florida sun and they honored the agreement and had the whole car repainted. I can't believe they would add that onto your bill when you are leasing the car. PLEASE complain loudly about that. Good luck to you....believe me it is going to cost you plenty when you have to buy new tires for the leased car every year or so.
Old 01-23-06, 05:52 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

oh ok, so on a leased car, i wouldn't want this either. again, i'm not sure if you are legally bound to this application if it has not yet been executed; saying no should be simply. i would just call them tomorrow.
Old 01-23-06, 05:54 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

that is what I was thinking. from what I have seen so far from this dealership they will probably charge me another $100 for not giving a 24 hour cancellation notice and then say I stilI have to pay for the wax job. if ANYBODY has a different opinion other than trying to get my money back I would be happy to hear it.
Old 01-23-06, 06:32 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

You will have to go to dealership in person with original contract. Ask to see the F&I Manager and tell them you decided not to purchase the PermaPlate. You will have to sign a new contract with item removed. If you and your wife are both on contract together she will need to go as well. There is NO reason why they should deny you a refund nor charge $100 for changing your mind. $500 off a 3 year lease payment should lower it about $13 bucks per month.
If they give you a hard time, ask to speak to F&I Director, or to go higher, the general sales manager as both outrank the F&I Manager.

There shouldn't be a problem in cancelling.
Old 01-23-06, 06:46 PM
RCFormante
Supercharged!

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Countyline Lexus in FL had this option on a IS 350 and it was $2995. When I saw this, I automatically believed it was a dealer markup...nasty.
Old 01-23-06, 06:59 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

yeah, they started at $1200 and got down to $500 and dropped the money factor a little so it comes out to about $400 for the work. sounds like a better price than most people are getting but most people aren't going for it in the first place. Asian Girl do you work at a dealership? I thought you did for some reason or something to do with Lexus Corp? would you recommend just having it done for the $400 over going thru the hassle of going in to write new contracts, etc? thanks
Old 01-23-06, 07:56 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Good catch, yes I worked at Lexus dealerships for 13 years. $400 isn't bad for the coating. What you are really paying for isn't the coating itself but rather the 5 year warranty that backs it. Obviously you can go buy it for less and apply it yourself or they even sell it at detail shops. I personally prefer having it done at the dealer. I've seen higher prices elsewhere. I had it done before on my 3 leased Lexus' because I'm not the type of person who washes her car on a regular basis nor am I a big fan of plastic floor mats. It all boils down to what you think is good for your lifestyle.
If your heart is set on cancelling it, follow the steps I mentioned above and don't let them manipulate you. Be firm but polite.

And welcome to Club Lexus.
Old 01-23-06, 08:21 PM
Wakesetter
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the advice. the more I think about it the less I care. $400 is almost not worth the time it will probably take me to get the entire thing reversed. I might as well let them do it before I judge it. maybe call it a victory for whoever gets the commission. as long as they don't leave swirl marks and I have some type of warranty I will live. I will have to sleep on it. I will post pics soon showing the ODO with all six miles it shows.
Old 01-23-06, 08:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

that's why i asked the question if there was a warranty involved instead of just the work and the application being done. i purchase it...or something similar at least. but i also purchased my car so i wouldn't do this for a car i didn't own (lease). anyway, since my car is black, i have to do everything i can to help it look good...since i'm horrible at the upkeep myself. good luck with your decision.
Old 01-23-06, 08:39 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Here's a couple things I recommend. First, I would pay for the Perma Plate seperately, say on a credit card because when you put in a lease/finance you are also paying for interest. Then pay off the credit card. This is great if you have some kind of rewards program. But you would still have to resign new contract so dunno if it's worth saving a few bucks, not sure what your money factor is. But since you are going to dealership anyways, why not take a walk to F&I office?
Next, when you get to service department, ask to have a extra coating put on. When the car comes back it should be shiny, almost damp. This will evaporate slightly over the next couple days, it's not toxic nor will it stain your clothes. This will ensure it was put on properly and you will clearly see if any spots were missed. More is better in imo. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: Perma-Plate Question