Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 10:28 AM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear trunk spoiler question.

Does drilling required?

or is it just double side tape?

I "searched" and I could not find a answer for this.

I just odered my rear spiler through my.is store for $199, and I am waiting and waiting!!

-John
Old 01-25-06, 10:41 AM
MD727
Rookie

If you want to install correctly there are 3 holes that need to be drilled - others on this forum have removed the screws and installed with just the adhesive tape - but that not the way Lexus recommends it be installed.
Old 01-25-06, 10:47 AM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

ahh thanks.

So, if I were to take it to Lexus dealership, they will probably charge me arms... huh?
Old 01-25-06, 10:48 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by aznevoviii
ahh thanks.

So, if I were to take it to Lexus dealership, they will probably charge me arms... huh?
Probably not both arms, but maybe an arm and a leg
Old 01-25-06, 10:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I just did this installation last night and man I was nervous. I've never drilled into a 43k car before, but it wasn't all that bad. Just make sure you follow the included directions carefully and make sure the template is set on the car properly before making any marks. Once the holes are drilled installation is a piece of cake and you'll have the satisfaction that the wing was properly installed and not just stuck on.

My project for tonight is installing my Nokya hyper yellow fog lights.
Old 01-25-06, 11:05 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i put mine on last night and yes and no to drilling..

it's better if you do drill but i find out the tape on the wing is really really stong. it was so attach to the car that you probably think it has screws on it.

i heard someone put it on without drilling...

i plan to keep my wing on for as long i own this car so i drilled. if i want a different wing later then don't drill
Old 01-25-06, 11:24 AM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
I just did this installation last night and man I was nervous. I've never drilled into a 43k car before, but it wasn't all that bad. Just make sure you follow the included directions carefully and make sure the template is set on the car properly before making any marks. Once the holes are drilled installation is a piece of cake and you'll have the satisfaction that the wing was properly installed and not just stuck on.

My project for tonight is installing my Nokya hyper yellow fog lights.
Man, you are doing the same set up as I am doing.

I just ordered Nokya Yellow bulbs for FOG and High BEAM.
Because when you drive with low beam off, the driving light is always on.
And I dont like that Halogen look of my front, so I rather have yellow.

Also, I just ordered Headlight / FOG protection film. And I made sure the fog film is in YELLOW.
I dont know how it would look in real life, but the pictures were nice when it was yellow.

But, I would be afraid to drill into a 43k car.. if you are local, I would want you to drill into it, since my hands will be shaking all over the place, and no one wants to see that... heehe

I am at Rockville, MD, very close to NOVA. Let me know if you could help me on putting rear spoiler...

Thanks

-John

PS: the car list looks similar as mine too!! haha
2006 IS350
2005 Honda Civic SI (Supercharged)
2003 Mitsubishi EVO8 (MAD SHOWCAR)
1992 Nissan 240sx (Drift purpose)
1996 BMW M3

Last edited by aznevoviii; 01-25-06 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-25-06, 11:40 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Man, you are doing the same set up as I am doing.

I just ordered Nokya Yellow bulbs for FOG and High BEAM.
Because when you drive with low beam off, the driving light is always on.
And I dont like that Halogen look of my front, so I rather have yellow.

Also, I just ordered Headlight / FOG protection film. And I made sure the fog film is in YELLOW.
I dont know how it would look in real life, but the pictures were nice when it was yellow.

But, I would be afraid to drill into a 43k car.. if you are local, I would want you to drill into it, since my hands will be shaking all over the place, and no one wants to see that... heehe

I am at Rockville, MD, very close to NOVA. Let me know if you could help me on putting rear spoiler...

Thanks

-John

PS: the car list looks similar as mine too!! haha
2006 IS350
2005 Honda Civic SI (Supercharged)
2003 Mitsubishi EVO8 (MAD SHOWCAR)
1992 Nissan 240sx (Drift purpose)
1996 BMW M3

Yeah the car list sure does look similiar. So who does all the work on your other cars? I can't believe with a collection like that and all the work that has been done on them that you are afraid to drill 3 holes in some sheet metal. Yeah if you need some help installing the wing, let me know. I'll coach you through the process.

Also it would be nice to meet up with another fellow IS owner in the area. All my buddies are EVO guys, so I'm always the black sheep in the crowd.
Old 01-25-06, 11:47 AM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

lol, dats cool.
I am sure you heard of AMS tuning. They are my sponser shop. They do all my work.
I am not trying to go hard core on my IS. but, if there is anything, I only trust them.

And yes, i would be still afraid to drill holes into 43k dollar car. lolz . When I recieve my wing, I will let you know, if I need help!

Well, let me know. I am sure we could meet up with EVO guys, I used to go all the meets through DCevoclub.net when Aaron had his EVO. And after Lacosta handed over the ownership, I stop going into the forum, and I sold my car.. haha. I dont know if the meeting group is from EVOm.net or DCevo, but I am sure I could recognize some of the local EVO owners.

-John
Old 01-25-06, 12:32 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

lol, dats cool.
I am sure you heard of AMS tuning. They are my sponser shop. They do all my work.
I am not trying to go hard core on my IS. but, if there is anything, I only trust them.

And yes, i would be still afraid to drill holes into 43k dollar car. lolz . When I recieve my wing, I will let you know, if I need help!

Well, let me know. I am sure we could meet up with EVO guys, I used to go all the meets through DCevoclub.net when Aaron had his EVO. And after Lacosta handed over the ownership, I stop going into the forum, and I sold my car.. haha. I dont know if the meeting group is from EVOm.net or DCevo, but I am sure I could recognize some of the local EVO owners.

-John
Yeah I am still active in the DCevoclub. Good buddy of mine (Pure Evo) and I hang out occasionally.
Old 01-25-06, 12:36 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, dats cool.

-John
you've gotta trust yourself sometime
Old 01-25-06, 02:10 PM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shaolin
you've gotta trust yourself sometime
Yep, just make sure that:

- your pilot holes (or punch) are well placed
- good drill bit
- touch up paint for the underside where the bir will come through
Old 01-25-06, 02:50 PM
Switch
Driver School Candidate

would anyone know where the best place is to get the wing? I'm in Canada and my dealership said it was $750 installed and painted! That seems pretty steep... even canadian $$

Anyone? I'll get it shipped I don't care.
Old 01-25-06, 02:53 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Switch
would anyone know where the best place is to get the wing? I'm in Canada and my dealership said it was $750 installed and painted! That seems pretty steep... even canadian $$

Anyone? I'll get it shipped I don't care.
got mine from my.is for $211 shipped, prepainted. Installing this in not that difficult. Take your time with the template and every thing will line up. This was the first spoiler install for me.
Old 01-25-06, 03:09 PM
Switch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks man... I also saw in the other post that lextacy has them for $175 but can't find it... I will order online and install with 3M double-sided tape. I don't get along very well with my drill

Quick Reply: Rear trunk spoiler question.