IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Special order wait time

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 06:55 PM
sjgIS350
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Special order wait time

Whats the longest someone has waited for a Special Order? This is a true special order from the factory and not a 'save' for an already incoming car.

I orderd mine 10/25 and haven't seen it yet..The dealer tells me it will be late Feb or early March.

At the time I placed the order they said 3 or 4 months..likely closer to 3. Its now three months and they are saying another month or more.

They do have a very similar car coming in...all the same except the interior (black vs the cashmire I ordered) and no Park Assist.

It has SMG/ML/Nav./Sport

I really don't want to wait another month so I will likely go for the one coming in..The change in interior has both pros and cons...black hides dirt better...but not dust..and is hot in the summer. Cashmere hids the dust but shows dirty..PA is a nice to have..and can save curb rash on wheels but adds 'buttons' to the bumpers which are places for dirt and wax residue to accumulate...I can go either way..Its been a long time since October 25..and I really want the car
Old 01-25-06, 07:14 PM
Pocketlint
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't compromise what you want.... but SGM/Black is pretty damn hot. Seats got ventilation, wouldn't worry about the heat factor. I think you'll have a killer ride wither way. But make sure you love it before you open that wallet.

Lint

Edited for spelling. You got a problem with that??? I didn't think so.
Old 01-25-06, 07:22 PM
BSQRD
Driver School Candidate

I got the same story, 120 days average. I ordered mine 11/25 and i'm also waiting. I'm ok with the wait but am getting anxious also.
Old 01-25-06, 07:39 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Some Yahoo on another thread thinks the special order wait is 90 days. Wonder what he was smokin. He must of got lucky and specked out a car that was already on a ship, on the way to the U.S..

I think the 120 days is way more accurate, and I think a few other members up here would agree.
I'm at 104 days and counting. I'm in there with sjgIS350. supposedly Late Feb. But I thought I would have a VIN number by now. This Black Box of not knowing is killer!

But it's winter, and couldn't drive it anyway. I told my wife if the dealer drops the ball on this deal, we're getting a new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon before the new ones come out
I usually get the complementary scowl for that remark.
Old 01-25-06, 07:54 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Mine took 93 days... Ordered it the 3rd week of October and I got a call today saying it was ready for pick-up on Friday.

Interestingly... a friend of mine ordered his the same day I did, from the same dealer - at the same time, and his came in 6 days ahead of mine.

(I'm in SoCal BTW - about 70 miles from the Long Beach port to the dealership).

- T
Old 01-25-06, 08:12 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine took 3.5 months...
Old 01-25-06, 08:27 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sjgIS350
Whats the longest someone has waited for a Special Order? This is a true special order from the factory and not a 'save' for an already incoming car.

I orderd mine 10/25 and haven't seen it yet..The dealer tells me it will be late Feb or early March.

At the time I placed the order they said 3 or 4 months..likely closer to 3. Its now three months and they are saying another month or more.

They do have a very similar car coming in...all the same except the interior (black vs the cashmire I ordered) and no Park Assist.

It has SMG/ML/Nav./Sport

I really don't want to wait another month so I will likely go for the one coming in..The change in interior has both pros and cons...black hides dirt better...but not dust..and is hot in the summer. Cashmere hids the dust but shows dirty..PA is a nice to have..and can save curb rash on wheels but adds 'buttons' to the bumpers which are places for dirt and wax residue to accumulate...I can go either way..Its been a long time since October 25..and I really want the car

Get the black interior, the sterling will show any stains, all the black will show is dust which
can be wiped off easily,, the stains cannot..
Old 01-25-06, 08:33 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

In case you didn't read my story in another thread, I'll recap. It's currently day 104 for me (well day 200 if you consider I actually put down my first deposit on 7/2).

My order went into the system 10/17. I got the VIN about day 83. The boat arrived at the LA port on (or before) day 93. The car should be at the dealer "any moment now". So when Lexus says 90-120 days, that seems to be pretty accurate. From what I've gathered, it seems there is no logic to when a vehicle gets built. It appears that orders actually are in a holding pattern for the first 60 days, to see if a matching config is getting built in that timeframe. If there is one, then you're getting from allocation. If not the order gets pulled into the manufacturing system, and no changes to the order can be made. Then it's ~30 days until build, and put on ship. Then another ~7-21 days to unload, port prep/install, truck to dealer, dealer prep.
Old 01-26-06, 05:29 AM
is4me2
Lead Lap

I'm still waiting. ...preferenced on 10/14....special ordered on 11/14....called by dealer on 1/24 and told the car is being made now and should be 4-6 wks. Wasn't sure if that meant I would get the car in 4-6 wks or if it takes that long to make, ship, etc.

TimboIS's response was informative..Thanks!
Old 01-26-06, 08:54 AM
is48track
Driver School Candidate

good info in here - thanks all

i am considering placing a special order and am wondering - is it possible to special order any/all individual options as they appear on edmunds, regardless of region?

or is it only possible to order a "regional package"? the advantage being that i could order a car with a typical northeastern package here in socal?

i would love to get a 350 with just Nav+ML and parking assist, but those three things always seem bundled with a lot more. is it possible to special order only those items?

the dealers i've spoken with haven't been a big help so far. they seem reluctant to want to place a special order (even at MSRP). one even tried telling me that lexus doesn't build the 350 with parking assist, so that option is impossible.

anyone know what is possible with a special order?

thanks for any/all advice
Old 01-26-06, 08:58 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by is48track

i am considering placing a special order and am wondering - is it possible to special order any/all individual options as they appear on edmunds, regardless of region?

or is it only possible to order a "regional package"? the advantage being that i could order a car with a typical northeastern package here in socal?

i would love to get a 350 with just Nav+ML and parking assist, but those three things always seem bundled with a lot more. is it possible to special order only those items?

the dealers i've spoken with haven't been a big help so far. they seem reluctant to want to place a special order (even at MSRP). one even tried telling me that lexus doesn't build the 350 with parking assist, so that option is impossible.

A special order is just that, special. Get whatever options you want and sit back and wait.

I ordered an SGM/Cashere with only the sport pkg. That's not part of a normal northeast allocation.
Old 01-26-06, 08:59 AM
tonyscv
Driver

Originally Posted by is48track

It's possible to order whatever items you want - any combo is fine.

I ordered Nav + ML + Sport + Park Assist + radar cruise - a configuration no region has, and that was perfectly fine.
Old 01-26-06, 09:18 AM
is48track
Driver School Candidate

very cool. that's what i was hoping to hear.

thanks very much for the info. it really helps and i do appreciate it.
Old 01-26-06, 07:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Finally, after exactly 15 weeks to the day, my car arrived! Just got it home. So far, a big step up from my '02 IS, car feels much tighter. Sport suspension feels about the same as my '02 IMO. Nav and ML are great, haven't figured out Park Assist or PCS yet.

All of you out there with orders in the works, they will show up eventually.
Old 01-26-06, 08:31 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Finally, after exactly 15 weeks to the day, my car arrived! Just got it home. So far, a big step up from my '02 IS, car feels much tighter. Sport suspension feels about the same as my '02 IMO. Nav and ML are great, haven't figured out Park Assist or PCS yet.

All of you out there with orders in the works, they will show up eventually.
Congrats about time, man. Post some pic when you can.

Quick Reply: Special order wait time