IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Irvine, CA - Need an oil change location

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-06, 09:48 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irvine, CA - Need an oil change location

Hey everyone. I need to get an oil change on my IS350. Since it's not my 5000 mile maintainence yet, I was told I can take it anywhere. Is it harder to change on the new IS? Any suggestions on where I should take it in Irvine, CA? I'm new to the area. Also, what type of oil should I go with? Thanks.
Old 01-25-06, 09:52 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Hey everyone. I need to get an oil change on my IS350. Since it's not my 5000 mile maintainence yet, I was told I can take it anywhere. Is it harder to change on the new IS? Any suggestions on where I should take it in Irvine, CA? I'm new to the area. Also, what type of oil should I go with? Thanks.
The oil filter on the New IS350's 2GR-FSE is a paper element that is replaced. It's no longer a whole oil filter unit. It's best to take it back to Lexus for service. Otherwise, order the filter elements through either one of our preferred vendors and get the oil change done through an independent:

www.L-Tunedparts.com or www.lexus-parts.com
Old 01-26-06, 08:31 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which dealer did you buy your car at?? it should be free for the first oil change
Old 01-26-06, 04:39 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I bought it at Tustin Lexus, in Tustin, CA. Yes the first maintainence check up is free and includes oil change but that is at 5000 miles. I have read on this board that many of you guys are changing it much earlier at around 1000 (after initial break in). Do you guys think it's necessary to change it at this point? I am already at 2k, I've been meaning to change it at 1k but never got time to.
Old 01-26-06, 04:47 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

I bought it at Tustin Lexus, in Tustin, CA. Yes the first maintainence check up is free and includes oil change but that is at 5000 miles. I have read on this board that many of you guys are changing it much earlier at around 1000 (after initial break in). Do you guys think it's necessary to change it at this point? I am already at 2k, I've been meaning to change it at 1k but never got time to.
i bought it at the same place

yes and no to your question.. but for sure the first one that you change don't put synthetic oil in.
Old 01-26-06, 05:07 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Shaolin, did you change your oil before 5k too or are you just going to wait for the first maintenace?
Old 01-26-06, 05:20 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

If you don't get around to changing until 5k miles, don't worry about it. It's what the factory calls for and you can't go wrong sticking to the standard maintenance schedule.

That being said, a lot of people, myself included, like to do an oil change earlier after breakin is completed. I'll do a change at 2000 miles with regular dino oil. Then at 5000 will do the scheduled change and switch to synthetic, after which I'll just run the usual 5000 mile drain intervals.

As for the "when you should change to synthetic debate", it's never ending, so I won't contribute any more to it here... you'll just need to make your own decision one way or the other.
Old 01-26-06, 06:18 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yeah dont ask when you are suppose to change your oil. Everyone has there own interval. I change mine with synthetic anywhere between 3000-3500.

During break in im going to change the oil at 2000 and use regular oil up to about 8-10k miles then switch to synthetic.
Old 01-26-06, 06:51 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Just FYI, you don't have to go to the dealership you bought your car from to get the 1st free 5k service. It's a Lexus USA offering, not the dealership.
Old 01-26-06, 08:04 PM
Lexustom
Advanced

I am a one of the "weird" car guys who will change at around 2000 miles and then have the next change be at 5000. Watch out for Tustin Lexus and make sure that they don't put oil in the tires and fresh air in the crankcase.
Old 01-27-06, 08:02 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexustom
I am a one of the "weird" car guys who will change at around 2000 miles and then have the next change be at 5000. Watch out for Tustin Lexus and make sure that they don't put oil in the tires and fresh air in the crankcase.
can you be more specific??? thanks
Old 01-27-06, 08:48 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Sorry, the last comment was sarcastic. It's just that I'm not so sure that they are very careful. Mounting my tires inside out and then not owning it and then ruining a wheel has tainted the way I feel about them. I'm sure (maybe) that they can change oil ok. M A Y B E.
Old 01-27-06, 10:14 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexustom
Sorry, the last comment was sarcastic. It's just that I'm not so sure that they are very careful. Mounting my tires inside out and then not owning it and then ruining a wheel has tainted the way I feel about them. I'm sure (maybe) that they can change oil ok. M A Y B E.
cool. thanks for the heads ujp
Old 01-27-06, 02:04 PM
Teh Slayer
Driver School Candidate

Just do the first change at 5000. Don't worry about it. Toyota engines are extremely well-engineered and do not generate the high amounts of wear metals that some other engines may, during the break-in period. After your first service at the Lexus dealer, consider using the Toyota dealers for service. Toyota dealers probably charge less than the avg. Lexus dealer; the IS250/350 use the same oil filter as the >2005 Avalon.

As for the "when you should change to synthetic debate", it's never ending, so I won't contribute any more to it here... you'll just need to make your own decision one way or the other.
Umm...you can change at any time you want. Its a non-issue. Its simply a question of whether or not synthetic is needed for the application. Conventional oil works fine for most daily drivers, only those attempting to extend drains past >7500 or regularly participate in track activities in their IS should consider using a synthetic oil. The line between syn oil and conventional oil has been reduced to merely a "crack" with the intro of the latest API SM specification, just about any conventional oil can do 5-7000 mile drains under normal conditions.

Last edited by Teh Slayer; 01-27-06 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-06, 03:01 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Teh Slayer
Just do the first change at 5000. Don't worry about it. Toyota engines are extremely well-engineered and do not generate the high amounts of wear metals that some other engines may, during the break-in period. After your first service at the Lexus dealer, consider using the Toyota dealers for service. Toyota dealers probably charge less than the avg. Lexus dealer; the IS250/350 use the same oil filter as the >2005 Avalon.

Umm...you can change at any time you want. Its a non-issue. Its simply a question of whether or not synthetic is needed for the application. Conventional oil works fine for most daily drivers, only those attempting to extend drains past >7500 or regularly participate in track activities in their IS should consider using a synthetic oil. The line between syn oil and conventional oil has been reduced to merely a "crack" with the intro of the latest API SM specification, just about any conventional oil can do 5-7000 mile drains under normal conditions.

Like I said.... never ending.