IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sirius questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-06, 06:45 AM
Bryce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is you straight answer. Tell your dealer to install P/N 86100-0W150 and 86180-0W030 and you will have factory integrated XM in your 06 IS. Just so you know thoes parts have been available as of March 06.
Old 06-01-06, 07:07 AM
Bryce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sdjdguy
I disagree. I paid a lot of money to Lexus, not Audiovox, for a car that Lexus told me would have a Sirius satellite radio. So, I don't think I should be asked to "calm down," and I don't think Lexus should be let off the hook. Why are they one of the few manufacturers who can't seem to get satellite radio into their new model (the IS) during the same model year it came out? It's just ridiculous.

If you are going to get mad, take a look at Sirius. I am sure if Lexus could use Pioneer they would of. Being that the factory radios are from Pioneer. So it looks like Sirius has a deal with Audiovox and Lexus is stuck using the junk that Sirius is making them use.
Old 06-01-06, 07:12 AM
sdjdguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by conekiller
Ummm...did you read the whole thread?

Yes, I did, but this guy made it sound like XM is not available NOW (i.e., maybe some people got it but it wasn't working right so it was discontinued or delayed, blah blah blah). Now I know he was just blowing smoke. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-01-06, 07:14 AM
sdjdguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bryce
here is you straight answer. Tell your dealer to install P/N 86100-0W150 and 86180-0W030 and you will have factory integrated XM in your 06 IS. Just so you know thoes parts have been available as of March 06.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am putting this information to good use as we speak. I am also reporting to Lexus the sales manager at Longo who told me yesterday that XM is not available. This is the same guy who, when I told him that another dealer had offered to install XM for me, said that there is no Lexus-approved XM and that I should report any dealer employee who told me that to Lexus because that person was lying. Can you believe that? And car dealers wonder why their reputations are so bad.

Last edited by sdjdguy; 06-01-06 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-01-06, 07:19 AM
sdjdguy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bryce
If you are going to get mad, take a look at Sirius. I am sure if Lexus could use Pioneer they would of. Being that the factory radios are from Pioneer. So it looks like Sirius has a deal with Audiovox and Lexus is stuck using the junk that Sirius is making them use.
That may be true. And I am mad at my dealer, not Lexus. My dealer, Longo (I now know) has been telling me XM was not available either, when apparently it was. The reason, as best I can tell, is that Longo has a special deal with Sirius and will only install Sirius. Longo has been promising customers for over six months to install a free Sirius radio, with 9 months of free programming, when the parts become available. However, from my standpoint, since Sirius still isn't available after all this time, they should put in an XM. I don't even care if I have to pay for it; I just want the radio.
Old 06-01-06, 09:37 AM
HaveBlue
Driver

I bought my car at Longo as well. I wasn't execting a Sat radio but they told me the same thing that they would install it for free when it became available. Longo should strike a deal with XM for free units too.
Old 06-01-06, 08:58 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I hate to throw my experience into the ring but I will.

I picked up my ES350 with Nav last week and they (Putnam Lexus, Redwood City) installed Sirius and it works through the Nav system. There are 3 satellite settings (numbered one, two, and three). Each has 6 station buttons on the Nav screen for a total of 18 presets. You see the channel name and the channel number. Unlike the “Sportster” radio there is no “memo” function, and no direct channel access (you can not key in the number) and I miss my remote control. Worst of all you get only 10 alphanumeric characters for the song title and 10 alphanumeric characters for the artist on the Nav screen. I do not think you can see the score of the Hockey game either. I think that this is CRUMMY (with a capital BS). According to the Nav system manual this is the same for the XM radio. According to the ES 350 owners manual this is true on the regular (non-ML, non-Nav) radio too.

I called Mrs. Lexus in Torrance (aka Customer Service) before I picked up the car and she said that Sirius would NEVER be available for the 2007 ES. I am not surprised since there is no mention of Sirius in the Nav system owners manual (or ES350 owners manual), but XM is mentioned liberally and by name. It appears that they will offer only one satellite system for the 07 ES and that is XM.

According to the Putnam boys the 06 Sirius module will fit in the 07 ES and will work with the Nav. This has been proven in my case. With regard to the sound, it sounds great, especially the classical stations and the blues station. Even the Hip-Hop, pop, rock, and R/B sounds good. My wife listens to Broadway (not my cup of tea). Like any sound source with the Levinson (it is so unforgiving), good recordings sound good (almost CD quality) and bad recordings sound abysmal.

Oh yeah, they installed the antenna on the trunk lid, centered just under the third taillight at the inner edge. Not the coolest place to put it but unseen when I am driving and clean looking. I like it better than those hideous “handles” that I see sticking out of the roof on BMW’s

So if you see a guy in a Black ES driving north on the 280 in the afternoon with a big smile on his face, it’s me listening to Ginger and Christy! Can’t do that on XM!
Old 06-01-06, 10:26 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so that should basically mean the sirius modules are ready to go. There can't be any single reason in the world why Lexus would release it for a specific model over the other.

Also, there isn't any reason why the exact module you have wont work in our IS's either.

I would expect to get a email from Sewell soon to let me know my Sirius has shipped.

Listening to Siruis through a ground loop isolator sucks, can't wait to take that crap outta my car.
Old 06-02-06, 06:39 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by psp
I called Mrs. Lexus in Torrance (aka Customer Service) before I picked up the car and she said that Sirius would NEVER be available for the 2007 ES. I am not surprised since there is no mention of Sirius in the Nav system owners manual (or ES350 owners manual), but XM is mentioned liberally and by name. It appears that they will offer only one satellite system for the 07 ES and that is XM.
Sirius is listed as a 2007 ES accessory on the Lexus website (available summer 2006). But Lexus only has a factory-installment agreement with XM, so that is clearly the way they are moving. The first Lexus with factory-installed XM will be the 2007 LS.
Old 06-02-06, 07:50 AM
ekohn
Driver School Candidate

Angry UGH...Not till Fall

My dealer just sent me an email,

"Unfortunately, we just got word that that SIRIUS Satellite Radio will not be available until the Fall. I will let you know if anything changes."

AGGGGGHJHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-06, 07:50 AM
Bryce
Driver School Candidate

PSP - do you have the part numbers for this Sirius? As far as i can tell, the 07 es have a different system than the 06 es. And the other question is did they say anything about your warranty? Because I have installed a coulpe XM and Sirius in the 05-06 GX and because Lexuse does not officaly offer it. there is no warranty. So i would really like to know what they installed, so i can do the same.

Last edited by Bryce; 06-02-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-02-06, 08:31 AM
smtymagoo
Driver School Candidate

seems like forever since i started this thread, and so far i've gone through 2 different plug and plays and we still have no idea where we are. here's what i've heard in the last few days.

-it's already available
-it will be available in 2 weeks
-there will be an announcement on monday about availability in the next month
-it will never be available
-it will be available in the fall

anyone know whats really going on? lol
Old 06-02-06, 10:32 AM
Jkeys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smtymagoo
anyone know whats really going on? lol
Obviously not, including Lexus/Audiovox/Sirius/Penske. I already paid my money for the sirius unit. If the news about the fall/never/5 years from now is true, my dealer is going to get a a little visit from me face to face. This has gone on long enough, and the money I spent, I could have had 3 of any of the off the shelf units for sirius.
Old 06-02-06, 11:59 AM
Bobs SC
Driver

Originally Posted by Jkeys
Obviously not, including Lexus/Audiovox/Sirius/Penske. I already paid my money for the sirius unit. If the news about the fall/never/5 years from now is true, my dealer is going to get a a little visit from me face to face. This has gone on long enough, and the money I spent, I could have had 3 of any of the off the shelf units for sirius.

My dealer has no clue either when its coming. Isn't their anyone on this board that works for lexus or has inside info what the hold up is?
Old 06-02-06, 10:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think primarily what you guys are seeing is 1) the info is very sketchy regarding the Sirius release date, primarily because it needs to be fully tested on both the Sirius side and the Toyota/Lexus side in Japan, and 2) What does a dealer's salesman do when faced with sketchy, incomplete, un-concrete information? He fills in the blanks as he sees fit, to fulfill his own little game and line his own pockets. i would defintely blame this one on the salesmen.
Add to this the fact that most car salesmen are technically incompetent (or they probably wouldn't BE car salesmen), and you've got the recipe....

Jerry

Quick Reply: sirius questions