IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

sirius questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-06, 08:31 AM
smtymagoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sirius questions

i know some of this discussion has occurred in the xm thread.. but since people looking for sirius might not look there i thought i'd start a new one.

has anyone been able to order the sirius kit yet? it popped up on lexus-parts.com but i called my dealer and they said the could not order it yet. and when you click on the instructions link it has the instructions for the LS.

and when i first purchased my car they tried to install the kit from the GS.. they had everything in place and just went to plug it in and the plugs didn't match up, so im not sure if this is the actual IS 250/350 kit.

if anyone finds the real info out please post.

thanks
Old 01-27-06, 09:14 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to know about this too. I would rather have sirius over XM because of programming. But I think I would rather have the fin on the car over a generic antenna. Unless they have one you can't see.
Old 01-27-06, 09:18 AM
saske
Rookie

The sirius seems to use some sort of "film" type of antenna that attaches to the front windshield behind the mirror. This is just what the instructions for the LS shows so it remains to be seen on what the antenna actually looks like. It's all going to be a guessing game until someone has it installed. I'm very curious about what the antennas will look like. If it is a generic box antenna, i'm going to see if the dealership can have it sent over to the body shop to have it painted GFM to match the body color.
Old 01-27-06, 09:20 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

I spoke to Darell at Sewell (lexus-parts.com) and he told me that they should have both kits in on Monday.

I placed the order from their website using the coupon code for the 20% off. He said that when they arrive at the dealer he will ship them out.

As far as the antenna - I installed the Sirius in our RX330 - it came with a huge antenna that they wanted mounted next to the rear view mirror. I went to circuit city and bought a regular small sirius antenna and it connected just fine - and it works just fine. I put the antenna on the dash, but this weekend, I am going to route it to the back of the RX and put it on the roof.

For the IS, I will do the same thing, but put it on the rear deck shelf where the sunshade is. I had my XM installed like that on the TSX I had a couple years ago - it worked just fine.
Old 01-27-06, 08:36 PM
blkIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by vp911
I spoke to Darell at Sewell (lexus-parts.com) and he told me that they should have both kits in on Monday.

I placed the order from their website using the coupon code for the 20% off. He said that when they arrive at the dealer he will ship them out.

As far as the antenna - I installed the Sirius in our RX330 - it came with a huge antenna that they wanted mounted next to the rear view mirror. I went to circuit city and bought a regular small sirius antenna and it connected just fine - and it works just fine. I put the antenna on the dash, but this weekend, I am going to route it to the back of the RX and put it on the roof.

For the IS, I will do the same thing, but put it on the rear deck shelf where the sunshade is. I had my XM installed like that on the TSX I had a couple years ago - it worked just fine.
Do you think tint will interfere with the antenna if you mount on rear deck?
Old 01-28-06, 05:12 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

No. Why would it? They are two different signals. Didn't have this problem in the TSX.
Old 01-29-06, 07:58 PM
Bobs SC
Driver

Default New IS with Factory Sirius install

Anyone have a picture of the Sirius Antenna on their IS? Just curious what the factory install looks like
Old 01-29-06, 07:59 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bobs SC
Anyone have a picture of the Sirius Antenna on their IS? Just curious what the factory install looks like
There is no factory installed sirius.
Old 01-29-06, 09:31 PM
WANT AN IS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vp911
There is no factory installed sirius.
There will be soon right? Anyone know when?
Old 01-30-06, 06:43 AM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WANT AN IS
There will be soon right? Anyone know when?
Lexus is getting factory XM, not Sirius.
Old 01-30-06, 06:45 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spy
Lexus is getting factory XM, not Sirius.
I don't think that's accurate:

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partdetai...bCategoryID=37
Old 01-30-06, 07:01 AM
MatadorIS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heffergm
There will be Sirius available as a dealer or port-installed option, but only XM will also be available as factory-installed.
Old 01-30-06, 12:30 PM
WANT AN IS
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there any disadvantage of having the dealer or port install the unit opposed to having it installed at the factory? Both will function the same way with the navigation system right?
Old 01-30-06, 12:46 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From the Sirius website:
"Lexus offers SIRIUS as a as both a post production and dealer installed option on the ES330, LS430 and the LX470."
I'm sure this will ramp up to other/all models in the future.

Jerry
Old 01-30-06, 12:46 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by WANT AN IS
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there any disadvantage of having the dealer or port install the unit opposed to having it installed at the factory? Both will function the same way with the navigation system right?
There is an expectation that the factory installed satellite radio will come with an external sharkfin antenna on the roof rather than the 'tacked on" windshield/package shelf one shipped with the kits.

Last edited by Bichon; 01-30-06 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: sirius questions