IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone Who has had their IS tinted-please respond asap

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 07:42 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone Who has had their IS tinted-please respond asap

hey guys, well i just dropped my car off to be retinted for a third time. i'm really disappointed with the job the guy did and i told my mod shop so. anyways, i've noticed with the tint job, that on all the windows next to the pillars (where the front and back doors touch) there is a strip of untinted glass on each window. what i want to know is if everyone elses tint is like this because its impossible to get in there? or is this guy just lazy and can't do the job right? i attached a picture just to show where i'm talking about..so anyone whos gotten their IS tinted, please respond and let me know what yours looks like, so if i'm right i can tell my car place so, as its with them right now
thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone Who has had their IS tinted-please respond asap-tint.jpg  

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 01-28-06 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-28-06, 07:48 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
hey guys, well i just dropped my car off to be retinted for a third time. i'm really disappointed with the job the guy did and i told my mod shop so. anyways, i've noticed with the tint job, that on all the windows next to the pillars (where the front and back doors touch) there is a strip of untinted glass on each window. what i want to know is if everyone elses tint is like this because its impossible to get in there? or is this guy just lazy and can't do the job right? i attached a picture just to show where i'm talking about..so anyone whos gotten their IS tinted, please respond and let me know what yours looks like, so if i'm right i can tell my car place so
thanks so much!

my tint was perfect. no untinted white strip there. my tint guy did an awesome job on tinting. but the only thing is i got pulled over the next day after tinting.
Old 01-28-06, 07:58 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Originally Posted by DC52E55
my tint was perfect. no untinted white strip there. my tint guy did an awesome job on tinting. but the only thing is i got pulled over the next day after tinting.
so every last inch of your glass is covered..do you know if they took your door panels off or anything?
Old 01-28-06, 08:57 AM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

yep, there should be no spot/strip left without the tint.
Old 01-28-06, 09:11 AM
mhiggi02
Driver

Yea, had mine tinted 2 months ago, every millimeter of glass was covered. Don't settle.
Old 01-28-06, 09:13 AM
kevp913
Rookie

Ditto. I had no problems with my tint job either. Perfect coverage on every window.
Old 01-28-06, 09:38 AM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks to me like the tint guy cut the tint film wrong. Its his mistake, make him fix it.
Old 01-28-06, 09:51 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what I read in your post and the far away pictures I see, are you referring to the b-pillar, those 2 pieces of shiny looking plastic that are a few inches long at the end of the front and beginning of the rear doors.

If you are talking about that then that is normal and what the car should look like, if not please try to post a closer picture so we can see the exact part your talking about, bc honestly from this far away I cant see anything unusual.

From a tinting stand point, you should not be able to notice that the car has ant tint on it from the outside and once inside if you roll down the window partially you should only be able to see a thin line running along the top, if you have pieces of window untouched and un-tinted then the guy was a lazy @55, Id go back and make him do it again.
Old 01-28-06, 10:25 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Originally Posted by lexiss_sc400
from what I read in your post and the far away pictures I see, are you referring to the b-pillar, those 2 pieces of shiny looking plastic that are a few inches long at the end of the front and beginning of the rear doors.

If you are talking about that then that is normal and what the car should look like, if not please try to post a closer picture so we can see the exact part your talking about, bc honestly from this far away I cant see anything unusual.

From a tinting stand point, you should not be able to notice that the car has ant tint on it from the outside and once inside if you roll down the window partially you should only be able to see a thin line running along the top, if you have pieces of window untouched and un-tinted then the guy was a lazy @55, Id go back and make him do it again.
its the glass on the window that sits kinda on top of part of that pillar..i know the pic is bad but its one of the only ones i had just to show the area of the window im talking about. (the car is at the tint place right now so i cant take a close up).i mean its pretty noticable that there is no tint on that strip on every window...if i go pick it up later and it still looks f'd up i'm going to another place where i've had audio work done and ask them what they think, and if they can do a better job..even if i have to shell out another $200
Old 01-28-06, 10:35 AM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

here is a link to someone elses car..they just posted it with their 5% tint..if this were my car you would see a very noticable piece right next to that plastic pillar that is not tinted..i'm so pissed at the guy that this place uses..the other nervy thing he did was he wouldnt come to fix my car until they had another paying appointment on the same day as me
grrrr

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=198159
Old 01-28-06, 03:07 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

well..i dropped my car off with them at 10am this morning..i called them at 4pm..and they tell me the guy didnt fix the tint today because he only had 1 other job at their shop today...what the hell kind of bs is that...i'm so angry with them, i dont even think im going to let this guy attempt to fix it..i might just tell him to take all the tint off and im going somewhere else to have it tinted..i've already spent $4,000 at this shop on rims and a couple other things, you'd think they'd treat me a little better..o well i guess if they don't rectify this, they're not getting another $2,000 rim purchase from me

sorry had to vent

Last edited by CaThaFeR; 01-28-06 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-28-06, 04:11 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

You really have lotta patience, if I were you I would have got at least 50% refund and went somewhere already. IMO that place is no good at all. Tinting the side windows is the easiest part of the job and they can't do it. I'm surprised he did the rear window correctly.
Old 01-28-06, 05:02 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Originally Posted by NINEZeRO
You really have lotta patience, if I were you I would have got at least 50% refund and went somewhere already. IMO that place is no good at all. Tinting the side windows is the easiest part of the job and they can't do it. I'm surprised he did the rear window correctly.
well he actually tinted the back window twice already...i went to the shop and picked my car up a little while ago...the manager of the shop said he actually kicked the tint guy out today and that they've had a lot of problems with him and want to get a new guy to do their tint..and that he understood why i'm not happy and was very sympathetic..so i'm gonna give him a call this week to see whats goin on..i also had them doing my illuminated scuff plates today..which they put in but are not working yet..but he said they are going to figure out how to get them to work correctly (in sync with the dome light) for the same price as if they were plug-n-play (he said they may have to put a relay in or something)..so that made me feel a little better..and it also seemed like he thought the tint guy was an a-hole...so i'm not writing them off yet..this is the first time i've ever really had a problem with them..and its really not their fault its the guy who they contract to do the tint..so i think in the end i will get taken care of and my tint will be done right, one way or another..i'll keep you guys updated,,,and thanks for the replies
Old 01-28-06, 05:08 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck. I hate when you pay for a "pro" to do something and it's done half ***.
Old 01-28-06, 05:32 PM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
well he actually tinted the back window twice already...i went to the shop and picked my car up a little while ago...the manager of the shop said he actually kicked the tint guy out today and that they've had a lot of problems with him and want to get a new guy to do their tint..and that he understood why i'm not happy and was very sympathetic..so i'm gonna give him a call this week to see whats goin on..i also had them doing my illuminated scuff plates today..which they put in but are not working yet..but he said they are going to figure out how to get them to work correctly (in sync with the dome light) for the same price as if they were plug-n-play (he said they may have to put a relay in or something)..so that made me feel a little better..and it also seemed like he thought the tint guy was an a-hole...so i'm not writing them off yet..this is the first time i've ever really had a problem with them..and its really not their fault its the guy who they contract to do the tint..so i think in the end i will get taken care of and my tint will be done right, one way or another..i'll keep you guys updated,,,and thanks for the replies
There is a thread either here or at my.is on just that thing; how to get the scuff plates in sync w/ the dome light. Seems they're not plug-n-play so you should check it out. It's pretty easy to understand... has detailed pics on the DIY. Also, put a stop on your credit card payment until the tint is fixed and done right.

Quick Reply: Anyone Who has had their IS tinted-please respond asap