IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about second set of Tire Pressure Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-06, 11:23 AM
sajonf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about second set of Tire Pressure Sensors

I am purchasing a new set of wheels and tires for my 350 and need some help with the sensors. I will be purchasing a second set of sensors and putting them in a small wheelbarrow type tire in the trunk as described elsewhere in this site since they won't work with my new wheels. I want to keep my stock setup intact so I won't be using the original sensors for this.

My question is, will I have to have my Lexus dealer program the new serial numbers into my car or will I be able to do that myself?

If the dealer has to do it, do you think they will have a problem with this or should I not tell them about my small tire in the trunk and just tell them that the sensors are already mounted inside the new wheels and tires?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-06, 01:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it is necessary to try to deceive the dealership. If you pay them, I'm pretty sure they'll do whatever you ask as long as it's legal and safe. Where are you planning to get your second set from?

Not sure about the programming....
Old 01-28-06, 02:18 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
I don't think it is necessary to try to deceive the dealership. If you pay them, I'm pretty sure they'll do whatever you ask as long as it's legal and safe. Where are you planning to get your second set from?

Agreed, but since they cannot disable the TPS system "by law" I am assuming that asking them to circumvent the system would be the same thing and then I would be SOL since there are only two Lexus dealerships in town and they are affiliated.

Not sure where I am going to purchase them from yet, I need to do some shopping to see where I will get raped the least.
Old 01-28-06, 02:21 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele

BTW.. Do you know any fellow IS owners here in KC that would be interested in my G-Spider wheels with the OEM Dunlops?? If not, keep your ears open for me would you? Thx.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=197612
Old 01-28-06, 02:41 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

The New sensors do have to be programed into the system. Have the do it before you do your wheelbarrow trick. Your light will go off until the sensors are under the correct pressure. Just explain to the dealer you are on your way to have the new wheels installed. You want to activate the new sensors now.
Old 01-28-06, 03:06 PM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
The New sensors do have to be programed into the system. Have the do it before you do your wheelbarrow trick. Your light will go off until the sensors are under the correct pressure. Just explain to the dealer you are on your way to have the new wheels installed. You want to activate the new sensors now.
Good idea.. Not sure why I didn't think of that one myself. I guess I didn't think of entering the codes into the ECU without actually initializing the new set.

I am still considering breaking down my current wheels and tires and using the original pressure sensors but I think it would be more difficult to sell the wheels and tires indivually than it would as a set with the sensors installed.