IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What does everyone do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 06:13 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
Sorry for the threadjack - Highest chances of earning even close to 100K when you graduate is to obtain certifications and focus in a programming language (whether C++, Java, etc.), while also recruiting heavily while you graduate. Are you planning to transfer to a better school? Otherwise, it's going to be extremely difficult to recruit at bigger firms while at a non-target school.
I didn't even know community colleges offered 4 year degrees, much less an engineering degree. Even the state college across the road from my house only offers bachelor's in low level nonsense like business administration.

Aerospace, Electrical, Chemical >>>> Software Engineering
Old 12-25-12, 11:07 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonIS
I didn't even know community colleges offered 4 year degrees, much less an engineering degree. Even the state college across the road from my house only offers bachelor's in low level nonsense like business administration.

Aerospace, Electrical, Chemical >>>> Software Engineering
Precisely. If Snow wanted to make close to that amount graduating, then he's going to need to transfer.

Unfortunately, I think most of us are merely distracted by NancyJade's need to prove him/herself to be better than the rest of humanity by a not-so-subtle manner.

By the way NancyJade - Data Analysis using statistical software isn't going to make you $100k. I think my goal for Snow was quite clear (Product programming for Microsoft, Google, or bust). But then again, your latest tirade did show us that you are full of yourself. Good luck on your... social advocacy career.

Last edited by Uda880; 12-25-12 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-25-12, 11:17 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm bald and I own a natural hair care company sold in your local Whole Foods that was started from a student loan check to a million dollar company.

Go figure.

Starting a side company working with digital lighting after playing with it as a hobby for a while and assuming the stateside manager role for a Chinese LED company reselling their products here.

Bailed on the whole Cisco CCSP/CCVP track after years of school and my first cubicle to call my own. I wanted to blow my brains out after 6 months. You guys can haaaaaave that crap.. I'll do whatever it takes to sell whatever I have to in order to live the life I want to live and surf every day. Flipping emails in your PJs from the dining room table beats cubicle life, let me tell you!

Last edited by jsmacks; 12-25-12 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-25-12, 11:23 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jsmacks
I'm bald and I own a natural hair care company sold in your local Whole Foods that was started from a student loan check to a million dollar company.

Go figure.
You sir, are a hero.
Old 12-25-12, 11:28 AM
BrandonIS
Pole Position

Precisely. If Snow wanted to make close to that amount graduating, then he's going to need to transfer.

Unfortunately, I think most of us are merely distracted by NancyJade's need to prove him/herself to be better than the rest of humanity by a not-so-subtle manner.

By the way NancyJade - Data Analysis using statistical software isn't going to make you $100k. I think my goal for Snow was quite clear (Product programming for Microsoft, Google, or bust). But then again, your latest tirade did show us that you are full of yourself. Good luck on your... social advocacy career.
It's possible to make 100k graduating, but being realistic, he'll probably start at around 60k. Engineering managers make 100k, but that's after numerous years of experience and the knowledge of how a business is run.
Old 12-25-12, 11:33 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You sir, are a hero.
lol.. thanks. It's a fun story.

Although.. you know.. what I learned along the way is that all you have to have is an idea. I don't care what the object is, there is a factory somewhere that will make it for you. Clothing, cosmetics, cleaning products, furniture.. you name it. Almost no one makes their own stuff anymore.. it's all a contract facility. Contract people to market it for you. Contract warehouses to store and ship it for you.

It's way easier than you think.
Old 12-25-12, 01:02 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Not to mention a liar.

She's not a PhD candidate at Stanford. She was an undergraduate researcher at Stanford for 3 summers beginning in her sophomore year at UC Davis (which I have no problem believing).

Now she claims she's actually an M.D. candidate (deferred 2 years) and yet she made no mention of this initially other than saying she's an "MPH" candidate at Johns Hopkins.

And, now she's talking as though an MPH/PhD combination is somehow a "backup" plan to medical school. Pray tell how is this a "back up plan" if you've already been accepted?

The situation doesn't match up at all. The numbers don't match up. She's a PhD candidate at Stanford and yet she only deferred 2 years for medical school? You're obligated to matriculate in 2 years, and yet a PhD program at Stanford will take more like 5-6 years to complete. Her work as an undergraduate researcher over the past 3 years does not count towards this time requirement.

If you're an MD/PhD candidate at the same medical school, then you typically do your 2 pre-clinical years followed by 3 years of research (for your PhD), followed by your remaining 2 clinical years of medical school, but this isn't the case she's describing. She's simultaneously enrolled in a PhD program at Stanford and an M.D. program at Hopkins (albeit deferred 2 years).

I believe everything else she said. I'm sure she's an ambitious pre-med student with a great GPA, terrific MCAT score (although the fact that she was so nonchalant about her 38 - "It's not perfect but it's good enough for me" is a red flag given that a 38 falls within the 99th percentile and a perfect 45 is virtually unheard of) and stellar ECs.

I do believe that she's taking the online MPH from Johns Hopkins. I don't believe for a second that she's been accepted to the M.D. program at Hopkins, nor do I believe that she's currently a PhD candidate at Stanford.

There's just something about the way she describes her work that's a huge red flag - "Thesis on Stem Cell Research in regards to Oncology"

I can assure you this isn't the way an actual PhD candidate from Stanford would describe his or her work.

A word of advice - you should learn some humility before you apply to medical school, NancyJade. Best of luck with your online MPH.
Old 12-25-12, 01:16 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jsmacks
lol.. thanks. It's a fun story.

Although.. you know.. what I learned along the way is that all you have to have is an idea. I don't care what the object is, there is a factory somewhere that will make it for you. Clothing, cosmetics, cleaning products, furniture.. you name it. Almost no one makes their own stuff anymore.. it's all a contract facility. Contract people to market it for you. Contract warehouses to store and ship it for you.

It's way easier than you think.
If you don't mind, would it be possible for me to learn more about your journey? I'll PM you if it's acceptable.
Old 12-25-12, 01:43 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Police Officer for Port Authority. Who else is working Christmas and has time to read 6 year old threads.
Old 12-25-12, 11:14 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is about what you do for a living, present tense.
Old 01-08-13, 09:06 AM
acschnabel
Driver School Candidate

12 years in I.T. - Currently Systems Analyst for the State.
Old 01-08-13, 09:43 AM
yammy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for my parents at their donut shop hahah. Currently my occupation is a college student doing his studies. Going to manage a boutique store with my girlfriend for her cousin when they get the lease for the place too.
Old 01-08-13, 01:43 PM
felo2081
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Plumbing for 15 years
Old 01-08-13, 01:47 PM
OzzyP
Driver School Candidate

Went to school for architecture.

Work at Google, as a vendor, designing the IDF and MDF rooms in all buildings.
Old 01-08-13, 03:10 PM
AutoSexy13
Driver

Build drift cars, fab custom parts, undergrad

Quick Reply: What does everyone do for a living?