IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Arrgghh!!! Someone save me from strangling the transport truck driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-06, 06:39 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrgghh!!! Someone save me from strangling the transport truck driver

My car was supposed to be at the dealership either Friday or definately by Saturday, but apparently the transport truck driver decided to not make the run from Jax, FL to Savanah, GA until Monday. This despite the fact the transport company billed the dealer last Thurs and it is only about a 90 minute drive. To add insult to injury, we have had beautiful weather the last 5 days and of course it will be raining all day Monday so my baby will be getting transported in the rain subjected to all the elements, not to mention they are doing construction on a long stretch of I-95 so I am expecting the engine compartment to now be wet and dirty. That is my primary concern. Maybe I am just crazy, but I don't believe the underside is protected during shipping, is it?

Scott
Old 01-29-06, 06:43 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scotty99
My car was supposed to be at the dealership either Friday or definately by Saturday, but apparently the transport truck driver decided to not make the run from Jax, FL to Savanah, GA until Monday. This despite the fact the transport company billed the dealer last Thurs and it is only about a 90 minute drive. To add insult to injury, we have had beautiful weather the last 5 days and of course it will be raining all day Monday so my baby will be getting transported in the rain subjected to all the elements, not to mention they are doing construction on a long stretch of I-95 so I am expecting the engine compartment to now be wet and dirty. That is my primary concern. Maybe I am just crazy, but I don't believe the underside is protected during shipping, is it?

Scott
You're just crazy. Relax... if you plan to drive the car in the rain, then having it on a truck in the rain is hardly going to sully it. The dealer doesn't do anything to the car to protect it (not that rain is going to hurt the car anyway ).
Old 01-29-06, 06:51 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
You're just crazy. Relax... if you plan to drive the car in the rain, then having it on a truck in the rain is hardly going to sully it. The dealer doesn't do anything to the car to protect it (not that rain is going to hurt the car anyway ).
Yeah, I know I'm a little crazy, but when the car is up in the air, it seems that the engine compartment is subjected to more of the rain/dirt highway mist. When you are just driving the car in the rain, the engine compartment usually does not get that exposed to water/dirt unless you drive through some 2 foot puddles because the wheel wells redirect all the water and the car is relatively low to the ground. I am primarily concerned about the insulation under the hood getting wet, because it discolors easily.
Old 01-29-06, 07:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

The bottom of the engine bay is completely protected by a large plastic cover. (As you'll find out quickly enough if you ever plan to change your own oil)

And yes, you are acting a bit crazy. It's a car, it spends lots of time outside, and inevitably things are going to happen to it. Are you planning to hire an armed sentry to shoot any bird that may be thinking of crapping on it out of the sky? If you obsess over every little flaw, it's going to ruin your enjoyment.
Old 01-29-06, 07:31 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
The bottom of the engine bay is completely protected by a large plastic cover. (As you'll find out quickly enough if you ever plan to change your own oil)

And yes, you are acting a bit crazy. It's a car, it spends lots of time outside, and inevitably things are going to happen to it. Are you planning to hire an armed sentry to shoot any bird that may be thinking of crapping on it out of the sky? If you obsess over every little flaw, it's going to ruin your enjoyment.
Ha ha, okay guys thanks for cooling me down. I think I was primarily mad about the delay in shipment.

"The bottom of the engine bay is completely protected by a large plastic cover"

Did not know this, do all Lexus vehicles have this feature? I have never owned a car that had a bottom engine bay cover, maybe it helps reduce the drag coefficient.

Last edited by Scotty99; 01-29-06 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-29-06, 08:01 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Actually, most any modern car has a large piece of plastic over some or part of the engine bay.
Old 01-29-06, 08:16 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to see I am not the only '**** retentive' Lexus owner on this website...LOL!
Old 01-29-06, 08:18 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by heffergm
Actually, most any modern car has a large piece of plastic over some or part of the engine bay.

Umm, sorry, but no they don't.

Some of my recently owned vehicles with no such bottom cover:

05 Z-71 - No bottom cover (Still own)
05 TL - No bottom cover (traded, was service nightmare)
05 GTO - No bottom cover (traded for IS350, not a good daily driver)
02 Nissan Altima - No bottom cover (traded)
00 Toyota Camry - No bottom cover (traded)
96 Honda Accord - No bottom cover (traded)

So I don't know what modern vehicles you are talking about, but that is not a normal feature. Plastic covers on top of motors are very common, but the discussion is about a bottom plastic cover under the engine compartment
Old 01-29-06, 08:38 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

congrats on the purchase. yes, the bottom of most cars have a plastic splash sheild to keep excess water from getting in the engine compartment. honestly if you're in Savannah you should have just picked it up. you would have enjoyed the drive.. well espcially since you have a 350..
Old 01-29-06, 09:55 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Umm, sorry, but no they don't.

Some of my recently owned vehicles with no such bottom cover:

05 Z-71 - No bottom cover (Still own)
05 TL - No bottom cover (traded, was service nightmare)
05 GTO - No bottom cover (traded for IS350, not a good daily driver)
02 Nissan Altima - No bottom cover (traded)
00 Toyota Camry - No bottom cover (traded)
96 Honda Accord - No bottom cover (traded)

So I don't know what modern vehicles you are talking about, but that is not a normal feature. Plastic covers on top of motors are very common, but the discussion is about a bottom plastic cover under the engine compartment
Perhaps "most" was innaccurate, but ahem, lots do. My WRX and S2000 included. Like I said though, they don't cover the entire undertray, so perhaps we're referring to different things.
Old 01-29-06, 09:56 AM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by IS_250
congrats on the purchase. yes, the bottom of most cars have a plastic splash sheild to keep excess water from getting in the engine compartment. honestly if you're in Savannah you should have just picked it up. you would have enjoyed the drive.. well espcially since you have a 350..

Thanks for the congrats, and I don't mean to sound rude, but I have changed my own oil on all of the new vehicles I have owned over the past 15 years so I have viewed them all on lifts. It is common to maybe have a skid plate underneath for trucks, but it is not common to have a plastic shield covering the entire bottom of the engine compartment. Unless this is a common feature for German cars (ie. BMW, Audi, Merc, Volks) because I have never owned a German car. But if you look at any American made cars or even Hondas, Toyota, Mits, Mazda, etc. there is no plastic guard that covers the entire bottom of the engine compartment on any model I have seen. Attached is a picture of the bottom plastic cover I just found.

Did not drive it from Savannah, because I am waiting for the car to be delivered from the port in Jax, FL to Savannah and it has to be PDI'd at the dealership in Savannah.
Attached Thumbnails Arrgghh!!!  Someone save me from strangling the transport truck driver-exhaust.jpg  
Old 01-29-06, 10:35 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Not to sound rude, but who bloody cares? The point is, the car, be it on the road or on a trailer, is a car. Getting it wet isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 01-29-06, 10:37 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

yeah, from what ive seen the both bmw and lexus use covers underneath the engine compartment. for some reason i thought you purchased the car in jax. im still kicking myself for not spending the extra for the 350
Old 01-29-06, 11:16 AM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Had a full plastic under engine cover on my 88 Supra Turbo.
Old 01-29-06, 01:18 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My past cars, 93 SC400, 96 LS400 and the 05 Dodge Magnum RT all had a plastic shroud mounted under the engine area. My current 06 GX470 has a heavy skid plate (2 piece) under the engine area along with a plastic piece to deflect air near the transmission area.

Quick Reply: Arrgghh!!! Someone save me from strangling the transport truck driver