IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone here (in California) tint their front windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-06, 10:45 AM
lamarzocco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here (in California) tint their front windshield?

I'm contemplating whether or not to tint my front windshield with Huper Optik 60, which is the lightest Huper ceramic goes. Anyone think this is a bonehead move and that i"ll get a fix-it ticket sooner rather than later?

My car is outside nearly all day at work and I'm usually out on the weekends so it's rarely indoors during "daylight" hours. I'm thinking 60 on windshield and front windows, Huper 40 in rear 3 windows.

glenn
Old 01-30-06, 10:47 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamarzocco
I'm contemplating whether or not to tint my front windshield with Huper Optik 60, which is the lightest Huper ceramic goes. Anyone think this is a bonehead move and that i"ll get a fix-it ticket sooner rather than later?

My car is outside nearly all day at work and I'm usually out on the weekends so it's rarely indoors during "daylight" hours. I'm thinking 60 on windshield and front windows, Huper 40 in rear 3 windows.

glenn
No way would a cop notice a 60% tinted windshield,,, i personally wouldn't
do it, but then again you have a good reason for it...
Old 01-30-06, 10:51 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nope...

...too scared, but agree that no one would probably notice as thats not all that dark. i know there is a really light uv guard style tint that isnt really a tint at all, but if you want a little darker look, that sounds reasonable to me. my guys (who did my tint) said they wouldnt tint it even if i wanted it....although im sure if offered enough money, they would!!!
Old 01-30-06, 10:59 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have tinted my current car with 60% reflective mirror tint on the front.. You can't even tell it's tinted, and it helps greatly.

At certain angles, you'll notice the slight mirror, but that's it.

I plan to do this with all of my future cars. It really really helps alot in UV.
Old 01-30-06, 11:02 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've considered doing this with my GS, just using the lightest smoke or the same SunGard light blue I have on the other windows. I'll bet a cop wouldn't even notice it.

However, a friend has his windshield tinted on his Jetta- the lightest smoke/grey you can get (70%?). It's very subtle, and he's been pulled over for the darker tint on the side windows but never the windshield. One thing I have noticed while driving the car is that you can actually see the texture in the tint at certain viewing angles. It's not objectionable, but you can see it. That's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on windshield tinting.
Old 01-30-06, 11:11 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

just make sure you dont have a laser dectector
Old 01-30-06, 11:22 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have 35% all around.

go to California tint and talk to peter.

626-287-2321

they did very good job. you have to go early cuz normally they have a lot of cars waiting in line.
tell him david with the IS sent you there. the price will be $110.
Old 01-30-06, 11:45 AM
lamarzocco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I've considered doing this with my GS, just using the lightest smoke or the same SunGard light blue I have on the other windows. I'll bet a cop wouldn't even notice it.

However, a friend has his windshield tinted on his Jetta- the lightest smoke/grey you can get (70%?). It's very subtle, and he's been pulled over for the darker tint on the side windows but never the windshield. One thing I have noticed while driving the car is that you can actually see the texture in the tint at certain viewing angles. It's not objectionable, but you can see it. That's the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on windshield tinting.
I know what you mean about the texture, since the windshield is curved in several planes and at an angle, I'll be more likely to see the some texture.

I'm still waffling, but it appears most people have not tinted the windshield. So far it looks like I'll be going with Huper all around, windshield still deciding...
Old 01-30-06, 11:46 AM
lamarzocco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Skulinex
just make sure you dont have a laser dectector
Not that I have one, but should I ever get one, would the ceramic tint interfere with radar and laser detectors?
Old 01-30-06, 11:47 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Tinting the front windshield is ghetto if you ask me.

Use a sun visor.
Old 01-30-06, 01:31 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Tinting the front windshield is ghetto if you ask me.

Use a sun visor.
How is it ghetto if you can't even see it with the lightest shade?

The sun visor helps, but with the tint, I don't even need to use the sun visor while other people around me is using sun visors. I see it as more beneficial Unless someone decides to tint his windshield 5%, then I can understand ghetto.
Old 01-30-06, 01:43 PM
tim817
Intermediate

I think the word "Ghetto" is abused a lot in here by a lot of people. Sometime they just call something ghetto and can't even explain how is that make they think it's ghetto. I personaly think tinting your car front windshield is not "ghetto" at all. Wait until you live in Texas and it's like 100 degree outside on the summer, and see if that "ghetto" thing does make the difference or not.
Old 01-30-06, 01:50 PM
BobsGX
Racer

IMO, I would definitely have a w/s eyebrow installed since the vehicle is lacking one.
Old 01-30-06, 01:52 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tim817
. ......Wait until you live in Texas and it's like 100 degree outside on the summer, and see if that "ghetto" thing does make the difference or not.

That's all? Summer temps at my house in SoCal hover at 105 and a couple days were 112......Is it ghetto to tint the front?........Fo Shizzle......
Old 01-30-06, 02:35 PM
Sv.Tequila
Driver

So does anyone here know where to go get the front windshield tinted? BTW I live in So Cal (LA) and I have to dissagree with the whole "ghetto thing", if its hardly tinted, its fine!

Quick Reply: Anyone here (in California) tint their front windshield?