IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

ECT PWR button

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-06, 11:46 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGT
Oh I wasn't talking about cruise control, just when I'm on the highway at cruising speeds. So basically you're saying that as soon as you hit the ECT button it takes effect immediately?
I don't feel ANY difference until I push the pedal down. Then it feels a bit more responsive yes, but the BIGGEST difference I notice is that it holds the shifts to redline when accelerating and keeps the tach revving higher longer...
Old 03-29-06, 11:59 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
I don't feel ANY difference until I push the pedal down. Then it feels a bit more responsive yes, but the BIGGEST difference I notice is that it holds the shifts to redline when accelerating and keeps the tach revving higher longer...
I'm definitely going to play around with it more often.
Old 03-30-06, 12:46 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tried it last night and it was awesome. I hit the button before getting on the highway and I was doing 110mph before I knew it in a few seconds. Definitely makes a huge difference.
Old 03-30-06, 07:29 PM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
Something about that cyclops thing makes me think you're a knight Rider fan!!!
Hellz yeah!! Michael Knight and KITT were my heroes back in the day!
Old 04-13-06, 08:21 AM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

Hi Newbie IS350 owner here...

The ECT button has been around on Toyotas as long as I can remember. At least 20 years. I haven't played with the one on the IS yet but on my 4Runner it changes part throttle shifting. IE upshifts later and downshifts sooner. Full throttle upshifts are unchanged as they are always near redline.

I'm waiting for my IS to break in before I REALLY drive it. BTW is there a specail break-in recommended or just go easy on it for the first 1000 miles but varying the rpms? Generally new mechanicals should be initially driven a very short distance (like 50 miles max) and then allowed to cool as they get hotter than those that are broken in.

I'm interested in the more aggressive downshifting under braking. Sounds intriguing.

Lars
Old 04-17-07, 08:23 PM
Jeff777
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larsdenner
Hi Newbie IS350 owner here...

The ECT button has been around on Toyotas as long as I can remember. At least 20 years. I haven't played with the one on the IS yet but on my 4Runner it changes part throttle shifting. IE upshifts later and downshifts sooner. Full throttle upshifts are unchanged as they are always near redline.

I'm waiting for my IS to break in before I REALLY drive it. BTW is there a specail break-in recommended or just go easy on it for the first 1000 miles but varying the rpms? Generally new mechanicals should be initially driven a very short distance (like 50 miles max) and then allowed to cool as they get hotter than those that are broken in.

I'm interested in the more aggressive downshifting under braking. Sounds intriguing.

Lars
Every Jap motor I ever owned was broke in hard, including motorcycles(street and dirt). The bikes were broke in for racing. Never, ever had any major mechanical problems. That doesnt mean take the new vehicle and drive it on a long trip. I always did short burst of speed and acceleration, gradually pushing it more and more every hundred miles or so. I bought this car for luxury and sport but more for the latter. If I even feel that this motor/tranny won't meet my expectations during the break in or after, the ***** is gone. 780mi so far and my only complaint is the rev limiter kickin in hard at the front edge of redline. I ride with the pwr on all the time. Clicked to normal and the thing felt like I dropped anchor. First oil change coming in at 1k. Over all, I think if you do it soft and easy you might end up having problems or worse a car that does not perform the way it should. Manuals for all cars have a huge safety cushion in there recommendations. Not for the owner but for the car makers. This assures that they never are the blame for anything.
Old 01-15-08, 08:59 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power mode is a handy tool for the IS250 AWD. The snow button is not that neccessary in blizzard like conditions. Still not a bad feature to have as it helped me greatly in my generation one IS300, but the AWD cuts through snow. The IS350 makes a big differance with the ECT button on as well.
Old 07-29-08, 04:07 AM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Any long term affects of using the POWER button too frequently?

Also regarding the comment about "improper break-in" of an engine. All these engines are run for at least a few hundred miles at the factory before they are dropped into the cars as well as a large parts of internal components being made from aluminum, "improper break-in" will not cause an engine to die prematurely. Like it was said, negligence will be the key to that, such as not doing oil changes or maintaining the engine.

Plus, you really think the guys when they drive to the port, off the boat, on the port, at the dealer during their PDIs...really don't punch the gas???? Your car is tooled on the most right before you get it...believe me.
Old 07-29-08, 07:07 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Here's a good test to tell the difference. Turn on ECT PWR. Accelerate moderately, but consistently. As you are accelerating consistently, turn off ECT PWR. You will feel the car slow down.
Old 07-29-08, 07:13 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^Yea you would know He beat the **** out of my car when he had it for the weekend. My engine sounds like its going to blow up, for some reason my trans skips a few gears???

the power mode just changes the shift points I would reference it to an aftermarket intake for the car that "makes" it feel or "sound" like its faster when it really isnt
Old 07-29-08, 08:05 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
^^Yea you would know He beat the **** out of my car when he had it for the weekend. My engine sounds like its going to blow up, for some reason my trans skips a few gears???

the power mode just changes the shift points I would reference it to an aftermarket intake for the car that "makes" it feel or "sound" like its faster when it really isnt
Compared to how you drive, I was babying your car Plus, I was the one who pointed out the rattle! Does it seriously skip gears? I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 07-29-08, 01:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
Compared to how you drive, I was babying your car Plus, I was the one who pointed out the rattle! Does it seriously skip gears? I wouldn't be surprised.
yes the trans is slipping
Old 07-31-08, 10:02 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Does the ECT/Power button makes the shifting with the paddle shifters faster??
Old 09-14-09, 01:23 PM
Looftie
Driver School Candidate

Old thread, I know but has anyone run their car down the track in the different modes?

Seat of the pants is one thing, but I am curious how the ETs and trap speeds change from one ECT mode to the other.
Old 09-14-09, 02:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Flashbacks, but the button is still there and rarely used.

Quick Reply: ECT PWR button