IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS350Sport-Pulling to Right

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 04:54 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350Sport-Pulling to Right

So my wife brought her car into lexus for 1 month service -We've actually had the car for almost 2 months - the car had a couple of probs: pulls to the right, front spoiler not installed correctly. The service guy calls and says he wants to keep the car until Thursday so they can order a set of tires that may fix the problem (Directional vs Unidirectional). The tires he wants to order are Bridgestone tires. The guy said (TO ME) he looked at everything that could cause the car to pull, its' not alignment, it's not steering, it could only be tires.

Does anyone know if these tires are good? All I know is that they're Bridgestone tires. Do you you think this will correct the pulling problem?

We're probably gonna pick up the car tonight and bring it back when the tires come in even though they gave us a loaner; my wife doesn't feel like driving a camry around.

On a side note: a friend that I called at Lexus was told by the same tech that the problem with some IS 350s pulling to the right has been addressed by Lexus and they've come up with a "fix". I hope my friend heard wrong - how the heck I'm I suppose to trust the tech now?
Old 01-31-06, 05:01 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, at lexus are you only allowed to order Bridgestones and Dunlops?

If not, try to get some Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. IMO, those tires are awesome. They weigh about 5lbs less per tire, have 400 treadwear, and are all seasons. I have them on my 3000 and love them.

Though the forward grip may not be as good.

OR you can get the Michelin Pilot Sports, These are summer tires, The treadwear is only 220.

Last edited by tqlla3k; 01-31-06 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-31-06, 05:06 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
Hmmm, at lexus are you only allowed to order Bridgestones and Dunlops?

If not, try to get some Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires. IMO, those tires are awesome. They weigh about 5lbs less per tire, have 400 treadwear, and are all seasons. I have them on my 3000 and love them.

Though the forward grip may not be as good.
Just picked my newly delivered 350 and drove it about a 100 miles with no pull what so ever. It arrived at the port about a week ago and I am extremely picky about alignment or wheel balance issues so maybe they did fix something. Also I have the stock suspension, not the sport.
Old 01-31-06, 05:08 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all manifacture tires will have problem sometime. tell the dealer to flip the front tire and see if the car pull to the other side. if it pulls to the other side means the tire maybe defect. they should replace it since you have so little mileage on it. if the car still pulls to the right after flip the tires, you should tell them to check the alignment for your car.

make sure they check airpressure before doing the alignment.
Old 01-31-06, 05:10 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by keeeeez
So my wife brought her car into lexus for 1 month service -We've actually had the car for almost 2 months - the car had a couple of probs: pulls to the right, front spoiler not installed correctly. The service guy calls and says he wants to keep the car until Thursday so they can order a set of tires that may fix the problem (Directional vs Unidirectional). The tires he wants to order are Bridgestone tires. The guy said (TO ME) he looked at everything that could cause the car to pull, its' not alignment, it's not steering, it could only be tires.

Does anyone know if these tires are good? All I know is that they're Bridgestone tires. Do you you think this will correct the pulling problem?

We're probably gonna pick up the car tonight and bring it back when the tires come in even though they gave us a loaner; my wife doesn't feel like driving a camry around.

On a side note: a friend that I called at Lexus was told by the same tech that the problem with some IS 350s pulling to the right has been addressed by Lexus and they've come up with a "fix". I hope my friend heard wrong - how the heck I'm I suppose to trust the tech now?

Sorry, but "Bridgeston tires" gives me absolutely nothing to go on. It depends entirely on what type they are. That being said, if he's putting unidirectional tires on it, it sounds like they're not a high-performance tires. Which may indeed fix what you think is the pulling issue, but it isn't going to handle like it does with Z rated rubber on it.
Old 01-31-06, 05:14 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Kind of OT here but aren't you supposed to get a Lexus loaner car.... not a camry???
Old 01-31-06, 07:33 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

they start giving out rental cars after all of their loaners are gone. I had to drive a camry from hertz once
Old 01-31-06, 07:49 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heffergm
Sorry, but "Bridgeston tires" gives me absolutely nothing to go on. It depends entirely on what type they are. That being said, if he's putting unidirectional tires on it, it sounds like they're not a high-performance tires. Which may indeed fix what you think is the pulling issue, but it isn't going to handle like it does with Z rated rubber on it.
I asked for the model number but he didn't give me one. He did say that the tire was Z rated. I'll keep you informed of the exact model after I speak with the dealership tomorrow.

side note: I noticed on the service order that the advisor special ordered 2 Bracket Sub-Assemblies. I wonder what the heck that is all about. The parts are 63.96 each (Lexus is paying). I somehow think this is related to the car drifting.
Old 01-31-06, 07:52 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mofogasm
they start giving out rental cars after all of their loaners are gone. I had to drive a camry from hertz once
Happened at Lexus Of Seattle once too. I saw a poor lady (we're talking in her late 60's) get a Hyundai Accent as a loaner car from a local car rental company. (I believe it was Hertz too).

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-31-06, 08:36 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

I just replaced the stock Dunlops on our IS350 Sport with a set of Continental all seasons and like them a lot. Our weather sucks bad enough the the Dunlops were no so good in the heavy rain. The Conti's are also much quieter. The Dunlops had a lot of road noise.

Regarding your Bridestone's find out what model of tire they want to install. With that info hop on to www.tirerack.com and read the reviews about that particular tire.
Old 02-01-06, 06:37 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree our stock 18" dunlops are extremely noisy, and i haven't
took any hard turns yet, but i suspect they don't corner too well either..
I've been using mich pilot sports before this and found them to be
a awesome tire.. I put 20k on them and they had about 50% tread left and
were relatively quiet..
Once i put about 10-15k miles on these tires, off they go... I hear
the bridgestone pole positon so2's are great tires, (if they still make them that is)..
Old 02-21-06, 06:42 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

We changed the tires to Bridgestone Potenza RE050, added camber adjustment pieces and did a re-align. Seems to have fixed the problem. Will let you all know the final results after a couple of weeks.