IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CD's Skipping!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 08:00 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I seriously doubt the laser is out of alignment. You'll either read all CDs or NOTHING. If you could read DVDs and not CDs, then maybe the alignment is an issue.
Old 01-31-06, 08:11 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wierd is that this only started happening today and I did the hack over a month ago. I'll try the DVD tomorrow, then I guess i'll take it by the dealership. But when I took it out to do the hack, it was held in someones hands the entire time. We were very gentle with it.
Old 01-31-06, 10:24 PM
Lupin5
Driver

Let us know what the out come is. I'd be more worried about the dealer not warranting it if they find out about the hack. Good Luck.
Old 01-31-06, 11:20 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

You could also try one of those CD lens cleaner discs. I know Walmart and Target sells them in the electronics section for about 10 bucks. Maybe there is some dust or something on them. Those discs really helped my laptop's drive when it began reading slow. Worth a shot if you don't wanna risk going to the dealership.
Old 02-01-06, 02:18 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

could be malfunctioning of the "shock resistant memory" of the player--music CD's are spinned constantly and thus skip if the shock resistant function is not working; mp3 CD's, on the other hand, only spin between songs to load it into memory.
Old 02-01-06, 03:49 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
could be malfunctioning of the "shock resistant memory" of the player--music CD's are spinned constantly and thus skip if the shock resistant function is not working; mp3 CD's, on the other hand, only spin between songs to load it into memory.
That couldn't of been a option I accidentaly turned off could it?
Old 02-01-06, 06:58 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
That couldn't of been a option I accidentaly turned off could it?
no, it's built into the drive itself--all portable cd players have it. I've done the hack, too, and both mp3 CD and DVD play without problem. So if DVD skips for you, too, then there's problem with the mechanism and needs to be serviced.
Old 02-01-06, 03:24 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so this morning when I left for work, it was working a lot better. I think it only skipped a couple of times, and I was trying to hit all the bumps i could. I did that with cd's and dvd's, they both worked pretty well for the most part. But when I left work, I thought I would try it again and it was back to Skip Central. I could hear maybe 2 seconds of music for every 15-20 seconds of driving.... I tried the DVD again, and that was also skipping just as bad. I'm going to buy a lens cleaner tomorrow and see if that does the trick, if not, it's off to the dealership I go....
Old 02-07-06, 03:42 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

So I went in for my 5k service today and told them about the cd skipping. They said they couldn't fix it there, they didn't even try. But they said they are going to order me a new DVD changer and swap out the old one.
Old 02-20-06, 02:52 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

So here's an update:
Lexus calls me on Friday to say the DVD changer came in and they called me today to see if they can come out and meet me. I told them to come to my work, that was pretty cool by the way. The tech gets there 2 hours late, at like 4:45, he says it will only take a minute. He gets into my car and starts working then gets to the air vents, he sitting there trying to pry them out with pure force. I tell him there are 4 little clips he needs to pop. He ignores me and keeps prying. I tell him again, pop those clips, I read it online(wink wink). He tries to convince me those only hold the unit together. I tell him about 4 times then I just give up. He ends up calling Lexus and they tell him to pop those clips.... Well he still can't get it out and can see that I want to go home so we re-schedule till tomorrow. Now when tomorrow comes, should I let him fumble around and let him try to figure it out or do you guys think I should show him the right way to do it.
Old 02-20-06, 08:51 PM
garfield20
Driver School Candidate

Wink

What a suspense .. gg.... Lexus should sponsor this club.. Follow the direction and get it all done.
Old 02-21-06, 12:32 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

hmmm....they can swap dvd changers. makes me wonder if they can swap in a dvd changer for my non-ML system...
Old 02-22-06, 06:51 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so the dumb a$$ tech came back and replaced the DVD changer in the car. 2 hours later when the Nav screen wouldn't turn on (he's still there) I'm trying to tell him he has a loose wire back there, but noooooo, he has to call Lexus and they are walking him through 1001 steps which include disconnecting the battery (3 times) and they going all the way to trying to take the Nav DVD out of the player. That was scarry, he didn't know how to do it and for that matter, didn't even know where it was. I had to tell him!! Sorry, just doing a little venting there.... well I finally convince him to take the nav unit out again and check the wires, and what do you know, there was a loose plug in the back, plugs it back in and we're good.
So when he finally finishes, we play a CD and he bangs around the player... no skipping.
So he leaves, then when I left work, I pop in a cd and it's perfect, until I get a block from work, it's freaking skipping again!!!!!!! What are the chances I got 2 defective DVD changers?!? Any ideas what else could be doing this??? I haven't called Lexus yet, why you ask, because after the performance of their tech, I don't trust them with my car.
Old 02-22-06, 06:53 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you do the Nav mod? It almost certainly has to be related to that, odds of 2 defective units would be VERY remote. Some other wire, connector, etc?
Old 02-22-06, 06:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I have the nav mod, but how can that be making CD's skip? the cd player was working well after the mod was done too. Also, I don't think this has happened to anyone else either...