IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

CD's Skipping!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06, 05:11 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CD's Skipping!!!

Ok, so all of a sudden my CD player in the car will skip everytime I hit the smallest bump in the road. It's not just bumps, If i hit an expansion joint, change lanes, accelerate quickly, stupid stuff like that. So I thought it might be the CD, so I tried another one. Same thing. I tried 4 different CD's all the same thing. Now here's the kicker, I put in a MP3 CD.... No Problems!?! Is anyone else having this happen to them or does anyone know what could cause this. I did the Nav hack, but that doesn't have anything to do with the CD player. Also, I'm a little hesitant about going to the dealer because of what i've done to the Nav.
Old 01-31-06, 05:25 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you using burn CD or origional CD??? i know some bad burn CD will have that kind of problem. but for my old mazda 6 when the CD was skipping, they had to replace the CD player.
Old 01-31-06, 05:39 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I was using original cd's. I've had this one cd in the changer for a couple weeks now, it has always worked fine. I didn't even take it out, but when I switched over to it today, it was skipping like crazy. That's when I tried some other cd's and they all gave me the same outsome. I checked the cd;s as well, not a single scratch on any of them. The only think i'm worried about taking it to the dealer is that I have the DVD hack on the back of the unit, so they are going to see I cut some of the wires.
Old 01-31-06, 06:21 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe it's the nav hack CAUSING the problems. Intermittent power, loose wire, etc. This is exactly the reasone I'd never do any hacks on mine, not even the lighted door sills.
Old 01-31-06, 06:25 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Maybe it's the nav hack CAUSING the problems. Intermittent power, loose wire, etc. This is exactly the reasone I'd never do any hacks on mine, not even the lighted door sills.
no hacks on mine either yet for the same reasons which it sounds like could be the cause. you might want to recheck your wires, others are not yet reporting similar problems. this probably doesn't help but since i used my ipod thru aux, i never play cds in my car, and i do mean only once to make sure it worked and to hear the difference between cd and aux.
Old 01-31-06, 06:31 PM
Soda
Pole Position

If they see it, even if it isn't the problem they might say it is and say you modified your vehicle and they won't warranty that part.
Old 01-31-06, 06:41 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Soda
If they see it, even if it isn't the problem they might say it is and say you modified your vehicle and they won't warranty that part.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too....
But how can it play MP3 cd's just fine but skip on store bought cd's......
And it will only skip when there is a slight jolt to the car.
Old 01-31-06, 06:50 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Payam
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too....
But how can it play MP3 cd's just fine but skip on store bought cd's......
And it will only skip when there is a slight jolt to the car.
i dunno, maybe the player will read an mp3 into memory and adjust payback accordingly but read a cd wav file using the laser.
Old 01-31-06, 06:54 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kensteele
i dunno, maybe the player will read an mp3 into memory and adjust payback accordingly but read a cd wav file using the laser.
That's what I was thinking but hoping wasn't the case. I am going to try a DVD tomorrow and see what happens with that. If that skips too, well then i guess i'l have to stop by the dealer...
Old 01-31-06, 06:54 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Try to undo the hack and see if it's still skip. If not, then the problem is not from the Nav hack. I really want to know the cause. I use CD on mine and no problems yet.
Old 01-31-06, 06:56 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Since the CD spins at a constant speed and MP3s are encoding at different rates, MP3 tracks are loaded into memory, decoded and played. This results is buffering from skipping.
Old 01-31-06, 07:02 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

I have not had any skipping with my mp3 cd's.. Perhaps you could rip them and burn an mp3 disc? That's like 4.2 gigs right there assuming 700megs/cd with 6 cd slots.
Old 01-31-06, 07:33 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

I hope I won't have to resort to making all of my CD's MP3's. And I was kind of hoping to get around having to undo the whole hack. Do you think the actual cd player could have maybe come loose or something and that's why it is being really sensitive?
Old 01-31-06, 07:47 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the laser is already out of alignment on the transport mechanism. Redbook formatted discs (CD-Audio) are much more susceptible to inconsistent data reads (look up jitter-control) than regular computer data formats (i.e. ISO9660 Book, Yellowbook, High-Sierra, HFS, etc.)

If your audio is skipping but MP3's are fine, it's almost guaranteed the laser is already out of alignment in your unit and either has to be serviced or replaced. And *IF* the laser is out of alignment so early already, either the unit was defective straight from the factory even before you received it (meaning it wasn't to the fault of your own), or the unit suffered more than a 1,000g drop/shock.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 01-31-06, 07:57 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

was going to say that, did you rough handle the unit when you hacked?

Quick Reply: CD's Skipping!!!