IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Creaky Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-06 | 08:50 PM
BankerJ
Driver School Candidate

Default Creaky Steering Wheel

Hello fellow IS entusiasts. This is my first time posting, so please be kind. I have had my IS250 AWD since early December. Just rolled 1200 miles. I noticed tonight that when I am at a complete stop, with my foot on the brake that my steering wheel will make a creaking noise when the wheel is turned slightly in either direction. Any one else experience this problem? It is a very faint noise but sounds like something is rubbing when the wheel is turned. Normally I have the radio on and have not noticed it before today. This happened on my 01 IS and had to have a grommet replaced. Seems a little too early for a brand new car, but those are the breaks. Recall and steering issue within the first 2 months. Hope this is not a trend.
Old 01-31-06 | 11:11 PM
eg6turbo
Rookie

might be the power steering working...sometimes you hear this when also doing a u-turn with full steering locked in one direction
Old 01-31-06 | 11:24 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I thought i noticed a weird creaky feeling with my steering wheel too right after I got it from the dealership when they did my personalized settings. But then again, it could all just be in my head after driving that crappy ES loaner car they gave me. I thought nothing of it, and the noise goes away when I'm moving. I'm thikning maybe it was the wheels grinding on the gravel or something.

Oh and I really haven't noticed it since. I think all new IS owners are paranoid of things going wrong, lol. (myself included)
Old 02-01-06 | 06:30 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

spray the whole car down with WD40.. lol
Old 02-01-06 | 06:52 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default The power steering on the IS is electric...

and is virtually silent. The creaking sound may be caused by two unlike materials rubbing against each other. Once you are sensitized to a sound you will notice it more and more. Try to isolate where it is located and if you can duplicate it again and again. Take it to your dealership and ask to have a tech or service consultant sit in the car with you while you demonstrate it to them. They will take it from there. We have had power operated steering wheels in the past that creaked when returning to the away position in quite a few of our models. Sometimes they need to be disassembled and lubricated or sprayed. Is yours a manual or power adjusted type? Try changing the position and see if it still happens. Best of luck and enjoy your new IS.

Rock
Old 02-01-06 | 08:44 AM
BankerJ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of your responses. I initially thought it was the tires making contact with the pavement but it is a definite rubbing noise in the steering column. I have the manual adjust and changed the position, but it is still there. I took it to the dealer this morning and they heard the noise but could not find the problem. They also tried to replicate the sound on 3 new 250's on the lot and could not. They filled out a product report for lexus and told me that if they have a fix that they will call me. It is not affecting the drive of the car, just more of an irritant. So far I love the car, but kind of upset that they could not diagnose the issue. I guess I will take it back if it gets worse. Please post if you experience similar issues. Only happens in D with your foot on the brake at a dead stop.
Old 02-01-06 | 09:01 AM
tim817
Intermediate

I might be wrong but it might be your tire is rubbing. I had the rubbing against the plastic tab behind the front wheels closest to the driver and passenger even before and after I put aftermarket wheels and tires.
Here is a pic of the area that is rub, I fixed the problem using a heatgun to heat that plastic area and used a clean tower to push it against the fender. No more rubbings.
Old 02-01-06 | 08:29 PM
BankerJ
Driver School Candidate

That is what I thought initially, but am equipped with stock 17's and it sounds as if it is coming from the steering column itself. Lexus has noted my report and they all heard the sound, so as long as it doesn't get louder or create a problem with the drive, I can live with it. I know they will take care of me if it is an issue later. I have been a customer since I purchased my first IS in 01, so they know me at my dealership pretty well.