IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

So many negative threads

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-06, 05:11 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhgreg
Maybe the people with nothing to complain about are having too much fun driving the car to sit down behind a computer screen and write something positive.
No, it's just that human nature is to complain about your current situation, however it might appear to people outside it. Then occasionally some really smart guy comes along and invents something that generally improves life for everyone, we get used to it, then start *****ing again.
Old 02-01-06, 05:13 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bichon
We are? Guess my check from Lexus marketing must have been lost in the mail.

I thought this was a forum to discuss the 2nd gen IS, not to promote it. If I were undecided about the IS, I'd want to hear the truth about the car: an unbiased look at what owners are happy and unhappy about. Overall, I'd say we're a pretty happy lot.

Sure there have been some unfair shots at the car by people who haven't read the manual. But there have also been posts from some Lexus apologists minimizing and making excuses for some pretty careless and shoddy dealer service. It all balances out in the end.
I echo these sentiments...

If you want a problem list, go the the TL forum - the IS's will be trivialized in comparion (I own(ed) both).
Old 02-01-06, 05:19 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dnszoom
I echo these sentiments...

If you want a problem list, go the the TL forum - the IS's will be trivialized in comparion (I own(ed) both).

What year TL's are having so many problems and what kind of problems? Friend of mine has an 03 TL and has about 60k miles on it already and hasn't had any problems yet.
Old 02-01-06, 06:35 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's just human nature to be focused more on ...

negatives than positives. The daily newscast is like that of course. Whining is grating and sometimes trivial so there is a fine line between having a problem and just venting. I find Club Lexus both refreshing and informative and I've been with Lexus for nine years now. At the dealership we are instantly drawn to the latest details of some mishap. They break the monotony actually. I really haven't had any major issues surface with the IS yet even though it is still in the teething stage when these type of gremlins will appear.

The IS250/350 (Intelligent Sport) is a remarkable acheivement for Lexus. Last night there were four various versions lined up with the new owners inside learning all of the fun things like the speedo-tach redline settings, pairing their Bluetooth phones, operating the Nav system and the smartkey system. Of all of the Lexus models this car has the most advanced technology and it is an entry level sport sedan. I was not a fan of the first generation interior as it looked more like an Altezza than a Lexus. The new IS has the nicest interior of all of our sedans at the moment. Whoever designed the instrument cluster and dash should be given some type of award. The subtle blue lighting of the dials echoed by the Nav system and the Lux pkg. scuff plates are aesthetically pleasing. Remember the IS300 dash with the Chronograph and all of those little needle guages like current MPG instead of something useful like oil pressure? The leather is soft and real vs. say leatherette or ecsaine. This car appeals to Men and also to Women. Young people love it and so do empty nesters. BTW, in the last two weeks I've had two BMW 3 series convertibles traded in for IS250's plus a modified Acura RSX. The first wave of special orders are starting to show now on allocation. These owners endured the 3-4 month wait to enjoy their own custom made IS250/350's. I'm sure they will become enthusiastic posters here on Club Lexus too, warts and all.........

Rock
Old 02-01-06, 07:03 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

I thought thats what these forums were for... to share thoughts, opinions, and new ideas about lexus cars. I sure didn't sign up to help promote lexus... your really making it sound like Lexus owns this forum, cause if they did then there would prob be only positive posts to read. Made for us, by us and thats the way we should keep it.
Old 02-01-06, 07:05 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Maybe it's just me, but I'm really getting tired of seeing all these negative threads about the IS. A small sampling of thread titles over the past day...

Steering wheel noise and the shifter is making a pop sound

We're supoose to be the ones that LIKE Lexus. If I were someone that was undecided about buying one, I think I'd turn and run after seeing so many negatve posts. I'm not saying some of these aren't happening, but many of them are user error. Don't just post negative stuff, and THEN do a search or read the manual. My my 2 cents, had to vent.
Oh ye btw that was my post "compliant" and no its not from "user error".... the steering wheel does make a clicking sound when turned.
Old 02-01-06, 07:27 AM
obiwan66
Driver School Candidate

Go to acurazine.com if you want to see people *****ing about their cars.

I have only seen a few threads that were concerns not *****ing. I look at them to see if it is something I should pay attention to.
Old 02-01-06, 07:31 AM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Only negative thing I have about the 2nd Gen IS right now is... I only have one of them. I need a fully loaded IS 350 for the weekends when there's dry pavement. (It's Seattle... I've got several more months to go before I can have dry pavement.)

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-01-06, 07:36 AM
keeeeez
Pole Position

I posted the "pulling to the right" post. I guess I posted it to see other people's experiences with this, and to get suggestions on how to remedy the situation (get new tires, take it to another tech, try allignment etc.) OH, and maybe vent a little.

That said, I think a good majority of users on this board aren't really here for posting their praises...many of us did already buy the car, after all. But if you must know, I think the car looks, drives, and handles beautifully. Everytime I walk by it in the garage, I can't believe my wife drives that thing. I can't wait to throw some new rims, and suspension on that baby.
Old 02-01-06, 07:38 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, people with problems tend to go online and post it so that they can find solutions or see if they're the only ones or not. Forums don't usually reflect what most people are feeling/thinking in real life. If I do see a complaint online and it has like 100 responses confirming it then I would be worried...
Old 02-01-06, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Maybe it's just me, but I'm really getting tired of seeing all these negative threads about the IS. A small sampling of thread titles over the past day...

CD's Skipping!!!
IS 350 Wood Scratches
Pulling to Right
Windshield wiper mark
Creaky Steering Wheel
Just picked up my IS 350. Love it, but a couple minor concerns
DVD's won't play???
Illuminated Scuff lights not on - Help with Advise
Body kit Help!!
Steering wheel noise and the shifter is making a pop sound

We're supoose to be the ones that LIKE Lexus. If I were someone that was undecided about buying one, I think I'd turn and run after seeing so many negatve posts. I'm not saying some of these aren't happening, but many of them are user error. Don't just post negative stuff, and THEN do a search or read the manual. My my 2 cents, had to vent.
heh, i see you are new :-). Actually, these problems are so minor that it seems people love their IS's.
Compared to other cars, including Lexus's, it seems IS launch went pretty much perfect...
Old 02-01-06, 07:56 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Folks I'm going to chip in here as well...

The 2IS is a new model and many of what may seem to be negative posts are simply figuring out "is this normal?" for a new vehicle. We saw that when the 3rd gen GS came out as well, and once we identify items that are known to be 'common problems' we'll add that to the FAQ stickied at the top of this forum for prospective buyers to look out for. Even though this is a first-year model, I haven't read any beyond some minor gremlins and wear & tear.

IMO some realistic expectations need to be set for some members who may be new to Lexus. I've personally had an exceptional experience for the most part from purchase to maintenance with mine BUT wouldn't considered a 'blame Lexus' response because I didn't wash my windshield or clean off my wiper blades (to use one of the examples above). Yes we can be a demanding group of consumers and we paid a premium for a top quality vehicle, but at the end of the day it still is a bunch of metal, oil and bolts and can have problems. There is no magic to these vehicles and when we do identify problems, we together can be part of the solution by helping each other with suggestions or even sharing fixes to issues with the dealer (often times our communication on fixes for issues surpasses the dealer networks). I guess I'm trying to say be reasonable with your expectations and take care of your Lexus... they're tough cars but not unbreakable or without flaws and they need normal TLC & maintenance.

My sincere request to all our IS250/350 members is to help us establish as sense of community in this forum. Pleae be constructive if you must criticize and help each other out. Respect other member's viewpoints, even those members who may favor SOB (some other brand ). Even pitch in and help those that didn't RTFM . We aren't here on this forum to promote Lexus, but we are here to enhance our ownership experience with our Lexus vehicles; both in share the positives and working together to solve the negatives. Several of you are emerging as great examples of this type of behavor and may be asked to help moderate this forum over time.

Thank you all for your participation.
Old 02-01-06, 08:20 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IS_250
yep, mine too.. on the bottom cusion right under where my left knee.
I notice the same thing yesterday. I have the black interior and it show all the wrinkles very clearly
Old 02-01-06, 10:33 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tim817
I notice the same thing yesterday. I have the black interior and it show all the wrinkles very clearly

well then this will make you feel better, i have the sterling inetrior and
i only have 540 mile on it so far and the my seat already is starting to
look dirty! .. why oh why did i pick an almost off white interior color instead
of just waiting a few more months for a black interior!
Old 02-01-06, 11:54 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
well then this will make you feel better, i have the sterling inetrior and
i only have 540 mile on it so far and the my seat already is starting to
look dirty! .. why oh why did i pick an almost off white interior color instead
of just waiting a few more months for a black interior!
Have you tried any sprays or lotions? That would probably bring the look back to new. The worse I fear, is getting a rip in it.

Quick Reply: So many negative threads