IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Damn Passing Gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-06, 03:21 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmer350
I have a stupid question that I'm gonna ask anyway....

The only thing that scared me about going from a manual to auto was the passing gear. I knew I liked paddles and wouldn't mind anything else but that damn passing gear. Sometimes it jumps down a gear and accelerates more than I wanted it too, it's unexpected, then I have to let off the gas etc... I hate passing gear!!

Does anyone know at what RPM you have to be at to accel hard and not have the car downshift? Will it drop down a gear unless you're above 3500rpm? 4000rpm? It shouldn't matter what speed I'm at, correct? Wouldn't only RPM's matter?
it's not just the RPM, but the throttle position and how fast you step on the throttle that trigger the downshift. If you don't want the tranny to downshift, put it in S mode and you can lug around in 5th or 6th all you want (it won't downshift until the car comes to a stop).
Old 02-02-06, 03:33 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jlin101
it's not just the RPM, but the throttle position and how fast you step on the throttle that trigger the downshift. If you don't want the tranny to downshift, put it in S mode and you can lug around in 5th or 6th all you want (it won't downshift until the car comes to a stop).
I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. Have you actually done this? Because anything and everything I've heard elsewhere is contrary to your statement. I'd love it if this were the case ....
Old 02-02-06, 03:53 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlin101
Heffergm is right..... Even in S mode, if you step on the gas, the car is going to downshift to a stronger gear. The only thing S mode does is allow you to chose your top gear, it picks the best gear under that.
Old 02-02-06, 04:22 PM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the acceleration you're feeling is more a factor of the 6 speed trnasmission than pure HP. Closer gear ratios provide better performance but there are some drawbacks. If the car was say, a 4 speed automatic, your downshifts would be much less pronounced due to a larger spread between the gears.