IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

lexus awd vs audi quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-06, 04:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
The Audi uses a FWD setup and converts it to AWD.
The Audi (with the exception of the A3 and TT) use a longitudinally mounted engine, and a Torsen differential that normally sends 60% of the torque to the REAR tires.

Sounds to me like they engineered an AWD setup, and converted it for FWD use in a few models.

As you can see earlier in this thread, I have no problem ripping Audi a new one when warranted. But in this case it isn't warranted. Their AWD system is superb, perhaps the best in the business.
Old 02-05-06, 02:59 AM
RA010324
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I just had to choose one.....I've gotta say I'd choose my Audi. The germans still have this segment wrapped up.
Old 02-05-06, 05:36 AM
Pocketlint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
As you can see earlier in this thread, I have no problem ripping Audi a new one when warranted. But in this case it isn't warranted. Their AWD system is superb, perhaps the best in the business.
I agree. But that's the really the only thing they are good for... look at how few CVT's they sell...next to none - the cars without Quattro are just useless...IMHO.

And I'll also speculate the reason you see so many on the road is their lease money factors are always pretty low.
Old 02-05-06, 05:41 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pocketlint
I agree. But that's the really the only thing they are good for... look at how few CVT's they sell...next to none - the cars without Quattro are just useless...IMHO.

And I'll also speculate the reason you see so many on the road is their lease money factors are always pretty low.
Nobody sells many cars with CVT's. Hanging that on Audi's head doesn't make much sense.
Old 02-05-06, 07:59 AM
Pocketlint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heffergm
Nobody sells many cars with CVT's. Hanging that on Audi's head doesn't make much sense.
To clarify, I was referring to the ratio of A4's sold with Quattro vs. without (Frontrak CVT). They just don't sell many without Quattro, which I feel is an indicator that the car really has no inherent marketability without it's highly branded / exposed, and fuctionally superior AWD.

Lint
Old 02-05-06, 09:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by foofighter
the newer gen torsen system is tuned towards more sport...the bias is now 40 f and 60r...i believe the lexus drivetrain is biased like that as well. i've had 2 a4's quattro and a vw r32...the a4's quattro is a lot more fun because it's permanent whereas the r32 is fwd still there's slip.

i drove a gs awd and didnt get to put it through the pace so i cant say one is better than the other

as for up keep...i never kept my audi's past the warranty so i dont kno about the cost but i've heard from friends the cost to replace timing belts at 60k is not fun. plus resale on them is CRAP they keep doing facelifts every 3 years it's killing it for the owners
The Audi RS4 was the first Audi with a rear AWD bias, 40/60 rear. The new S8 is the 2nd Audi with this. OTehrwise every Audi with AWD, is 50/50
Old 02-05-06, 09:50 AM
LexFather

In everyday driving, both systems will be on par, not sure of in the snow as we don't have any comparisons to look at. It seems when the AWD shootout in R&T occured, the only thing the IS needed was more power, the AWD system was fine.

The Audi AWD system is a very tried and true systme, Audi racecars got banned in the 80s b/c it was so superior to the competiton.
But IMO, the top system now is the SH-AWD system Honda has

You can't lose with any of these systems. I cannot say the Lexus systtem is better than the Audi system.