IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is the point of purposely making a low production car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-06, 06:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Supply and demand. Supply is low and demand is high, so Lexus can charge a premium right now. When supply is high and demand is low, Lexus loses money.

I think Lexus will find a comfortable medium by the end of the year, when most IS will have significant discounts. If you have a specific setup in mind, might as well Special Order it now, rather than waiting 4-6 months hoping that the right setup will arrive.
Old 02-06-06, 07:15 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

same damn thing always happens, and people continue to whine its actually funny how some dont see it, remember when new the TLs came out, when the S2000s came out, same stuff, either going for MSRP or going higher than MSRP
Old 02-06-06, 08:39 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to a fairly small college, Wake Forest University. There are currently 2 new IS's on campus. One is mine. It sucks though cause they got the same color as me! haha oh well, other than that I havent seen any around at all.
Old 02-06-06, 08:41 PM
lesman01
Driver School Candidate

Charlesmsn: I've only seen 3 on the streets in Atlanta. I have a 350 Tungsten. Wonder if you saw me? I saw a Matador Red 250 this morning on the way to work on 85.
Old 02-07-06, 08:07 PM
LexFather

True, the IS may sell 40-50k a year, which is 10% of a Camry's yearly total, but this is NOT a low production car. I.E Lexus wants to SELL them.

The SC 430 was low production, 12,000 made its first year and 10,000 each year after. And that is still high when you consider real low volume cars, like exotics.

Some companies don't sell 3k cars a YEAR.
Old 02-07-06, 08:56 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
True, the IS may sell 40-50k a year, which is 10% of a Camry's yearly total, but this is NOT a low production car. I.E Lexus wants to SELL them.

The SC 430 was low production, 12,000 made its first year and 10,000 each year after. And that is still high when you consider real low volume cars, like exotics.

Some companies don't sell 3k cars a YEAR.
Yes, I think the OP is wrong in his assumption that Lexus is "intentionally" making this a "low production" car. Lexus is building and selling these cars as fast as they can. I do not think they are intentionally restricting production in order to drive demand or boost the car's reputation. Something like a Ferrari, on the other hand, is a different story. They intentionally limit production, to keep their brand exclusive, and they usually know they will sell out of every production run long before it is finished. As for Lexus - they just have a hot car that a lot of people want to buy.
Old 02-07-06, 10:18 PM
daveortega
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the 335 price is going to be no where near the IS price, cant really be compared

330 price now is (~38k but those idiots charge you 2000 dollars total to get metallic paint and leather so its really 40k so it can be compared to a base IS350, so you can imagine how much a 335 is going to cost, im guessing mid 40s
The 335i is actually supposed to REPLACE the 330i. Rumor has it that the price won't be dramatically different.
Old 02-07-06, 10:45 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

The IS is not necessarily a "low" production car. BMW sold over 100,000 3 series in 2005. By the way things are looking, Lexus may sell over 100,000 in a single year during the life of the car (i guess til 2010 or 2011). That is not a low production car at all, even if they sell 50-75k a year) America's best selling "car" camry sells just over 400,000 (maybe closer to 450,000 i dont remember exaclty).
Old 02-08-06, 01:45 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
...and then advertising the ***** out of it. I mean WTF. There are a lot of people that want this car and it just can't be had. Why not make enough cars to equal demand? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb marketing.

Microsoft screwed the pooch by not making enough XBOX 360's and no Lexus on their IS series. They have had all this time to get people into IS's before BMW's upgrade their engine. Now people have to wait and there will be much closer competition between the two. Talk about a loss of sales. Dumb.
If there were a plentiful supply of IS very soon the dealers would start discounting heavily and we'd all be on here complaining that we paid list price. Then when we came to sell the car in a couple of years time the residuals would be poor and we'd all be complaining again that Lexus had flooded the market and we might as well have bought something a lot cheaper.
Old 02-08-06, 07:17 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
...and then advertising the ***** out of it. I mean WTF. There are a lot of people that want this car and it just can't be had. Why not make enough cars to equal demand? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb marketing.

Microsoft screwed the pooch by not making enough XBOX 360's and no Lexus on their IS series. They have had all this time to get people into IS's before BMW's upgrade their engine. Now people have to wait and there will be much closer competition between the two. Talk about a loss of sales. Dumb.
The IS is in no way a limited production car; on the contrary, Lexus intended it to be a volume seller, like the ES. It's normal for supply to lag behind demand early in the production cycle, for most new cars. If the manufacturer floods the lots with enough cars so everyone can just walk in and drive one home, people would think that nobody wants the car. People pay a premium over the MSRP just to get a Honda van or SUV.
Old 02-08-06, 07:55 AM
caromero
Driver School Candidate

Well that is the difference between Honda and Lexus. If you want a car that is mass produced to the point that everyone can have one, then Lexus just isnt the right product for you. Having a car that is limited in production makes it more exclusive and desirable, therefore it holds its value much better than if it's readily available to anyone.
Old 02-08-06, 07:59 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diablo1
It's the same here - they still fly off the dealer lots, yet you barely see any on the streets? Where are all the IS's going???
Thats true, ive only seen 2 other IS's and they were both 250's..
Old 02-08-06, 08:04 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

I've only ever see ONE on the road. And I live in NoVA, where there are bimmers and porsches and an occasional ferrari, oh my. You'd think there would be more around, but so far, nada.
Old 02-08-06, 08:45 AM
mtnduc
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in metro Denver and I've only seen one other 350 and it's across the street in my neighbor's garage.
3 series BMWs(including M3's), 3xx MB's and Acura TLs are a dime a dozen around here and I drive by the Ferrari dealer daily so I usually see a couple a week in the summertime.
In my opinion, there are currently no true limited production Japanese cars being sold in the US. And yes, I'm including the NSX, they're really not that difficult to get if you have the $$.
Old 02-08-06, 08:52 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When I'm out driving round town I keep seeing out of the corner of my eye, an identical car to mine, cruising alongside, keeping pace with me, turning where I turn - then I realise it's my reflection in the shop windows..

Good looking car too, the owner looks after it.

Quick Reply: What is the point of purposely making a low production car...