IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

blue onyx pearl...high upkeep?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06 | 08:51 AM
w0ggy
Rookie

Default blue onyx pearl...high upkeep?

I am debating btw blue onyx and SGM...which one do you guys think requries more upkeep? I know black onyx is supose to be the worse when it comes to this...but what do you guys think of these two colors?
Old 02-05-06 | 09:34 AM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

blue onyx is pretty hard to keep clean...a lot of work like black
Old 02-05-06 | 09:49 AM
Jetmaker
Driver School Candidate

My wife tried to talk me out of the color Abyss Blue when we purchased our ’04 Acura TL, but I wouldn’t have any of it. I’m now waiting for my Tungsten 350 to arrive from port.

Dark cars are beautiful, but they show every little spec of dust, spider webs (swirls) and defects in the paint, and IMHO they must be babied to look nice. I love them but I must resist.

Good luck with your choice.

Jet
Old 02-05-06 | 10:25 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I agree dark colors are high maintenance but since I wash my car 2 times a week anyway, it wouldn't be an issue for me.
Old 02-05-06 | 10:44 AM
JoesIS250
Driver

My first choice of color was the SGM but the dealer did not have any coming in at the time so i took the Blue Onyx Pearl instead and have been very happy with the choice. Yes its fairly difficult to keep it looking clean but i figured its a lot easier than black and i believe the color is more striking than the SGM since at times it may look black but in the sun it has that nice blue look. Either choice i think you cant go wrong so good luck
Old 02-05-06 | 11:42 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Blue Onyx will have some of the gloss appeal .....

of Black but it has a clear coat on top and is much less sensitive to scratching and atmospheric damage. It will show dirt and pollen like Black but can be cleaned easier. At night or in the shade it looks like black. In bright light the Blue comes out to play. SGM is very popular on this forum but doesn't have the wet look of Black or Blue Onyx. This car looks boss in Crystal White too so go figure...

Rock
Old 02-05-06 | 03:10 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
of Black but it has a clear coat on top and is much less sensitive to scratching and atmospheric damage. It will show dirt and pollen like Black but can be cleaned easier.

Rock
Not to hijack the thread, but it's my understanding (from searches in ClubLexus and elsewhere) that, even though it did not several years ago, Lexus now puts clearcoat on Black Onyx (and all colors). Do you have credible information that this is not true? Just wondering. It's a moot point for me really as I'm getting my IS350 in black anyway. (Though the Blue Onyx is an equally gorgeous color choice.)

P.S. back on topic, based on years of experience, I recommend the original California Car Duster as a quick and convenient way of keeping either a blue or black car looking sharp between washes.
Old 02-05-06 | 04:02 PM
w0ggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Langdell
P.S. back on topic, based on years of experience, I recommend the original California Car Duster as a quick and convenient way of keeping either a blue or black car looking sharp between washes.
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to pick one of these up
Old 02-06-06 | 06:35 AM
pokerface
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Langdell
Not to hijack the thread, but it's my understanding (from searches in ClubLexus and elsewhere) that, even though it did not several years ago, Lexus now puts clearcoat on Black Onyx (and all colors). Do you have credible information that this is not true? Just wondering. It's a moot point for me really as I'm getting my IS350 in black anyway. (Though the Blue Onyx is an equally gorgeous color choice.)

.. I thought clearcoat is standard fare on all paint finishes these days?
Old 02-06-06 | 07:47 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Yeah, my Blue Onyx is kinda a PITA to keep up but why would you let your ~$40K investment go to junk by not regularly maintaining it?

Yesterday, I washed and waxed mine with some Mothers FX Synwax and it came out great! I will be sure to post some pics as soon as I unload them from my camera.
Old 02-06-06 | 09:49 AM
Cypren
Driver

I've just fallen into a pattern of dropping my car off over lunch every Friday to be cleaned. Place right next to my office does a great job (and babies the car) and only charges $35 for full handwash/wax and interior cleaning, including leather. It's more expensive than washing it myself, but I value the time more.
Old 02-06-06 | 10:18 AM
w0ggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aclarke
Yeah, my Blue Onyx is kinda a PITA to keep up but why would you let your ~$40K investment go to junk by not regularly maintaining it?
I'm a full time med student, and barely have time to sleep let alone wash a car every week...but I love blue onyx so I will just have to try my best...

Originally Posted by Aclarke
Yesterday, I washed and waxed mine with some Mothers FX Synwax and it came out great! I will be sure to post some pics as soon as I unload them from my camera.
Looking forward to seeing those pics
Old 02-06-06 | 10:21 AM
w0ggy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cypren
I've just fallen into a pattern of dropping my car off over lunch every Friday to be cleaned. Place right next to my office does a great job (and babies the car) and only charges $35 for full handwash/wax and interior cleaning, including leather. It's more expensive than washing it myself, but I value the time more.
Thats a nice option...I might just end up doing this too...
Old 02-06-06 | 10:28 AM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

I have the blue onyx, and being a darker car, more apt to show dirt or scratches. But I love the color. In some light it looks black, and other light very blue. Here are a few pics with different light.

Old 02-06-06 | 11:11 AM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cypren

Cyphren, where would this place be at? Also, do you know of any self cleaning locations in Irvine or nearby? All I ever find is ful service hand cleaners.

Quick Reply: blue onyx pearl...high upkeep?