IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Gallons remaining when fuel light comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 09:27 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You all can think what ever you want i can't tell you the total number of MB i had to drain the fuel cells when i was working at Auto Haus Stebel because of this issue, its probably much worst if you're frequenting cheaper gastations. as a side note Water in the gas freezing is not on issue in San Diego but the problem you mentioned for colder climates can be rectified by using a fuel antifreeze like heat.
Old 02-08-06, 09:36 PM
Kailua250
Driver

It doesn't matter when you fill your tank. What ever is in there is in there whether you fill it every 5 miles or every 300.
The myth about the gas truck isn't true either.
Old 02-09-06, 01:56 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

I guess you can look at it that way but what I have seen while working on MB is these ladies wouldn't really let the gas go below 1/2 tank. Your right about if it’s in there it’s in there. What I’m saying is the floating particles can build over several years I have seen where someone changed the fuel filter durring normal maintanance then went on a trip for the first time in the car and fouled the filter again because they never ran the tank down that far before those built up particles clogged the filter. now what I am not say is that by burning more of the tank your going to prevent the filter from being fouled in fact burning the tank is going to insure that all those particles make it to the filter so that you don't have a sudden fouling of the filter do to built up floating particals. also fueling up would mix up the particals for a few molments but the floating particles would simply float back up in a matter of seconds.

Of course none of you have to take my word for it you all can do a simple experiment at home to see what i'm talking about simply take some fuel pour it into a glass container then add some floating particles then pump out half the container from the bottom of the that container using a hose then add floating particles to the fuel pumped out and then reintroduce it to the container then repeat a few times and tell me the particules did not start to build up.

Originally Posted by Kailua250
It doesn't matter when you fill your tank. What ever is in there is in there whether you fill it every 5 miles or every 300.
Old 02-09-06, 09:04 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarbonIS300
I guess you can look at it that way but what I have seen while working on MB is these ladies wouldn't really let the gas go below 1/2 tank. Your right about if it’s in there it’s in there. What I’m saying is the floating particles can build over several years I have seen where someone changed the fuel filter durring normal maintanance then went on a trip for the first time in the car and fouled the filter again because they never ran the tank down that far before those built up particles clogged the filter. now what I am not say is that by burning more of the tank your going to prevent the filter from being fouled in fact burning the tank is going to insure that all those particles make it to the filter so that you don't have a sudden fouling of the filter do to built up floating particals. also fueling up would mix up the particals for a few molments but the floating particles would simply float back up in a matter of seconds.

Of course none of you have to take my word for it you all can do a simple experiment at home to see what i'm talking about simply take some fuel pour it into a glass container then add some floating particles then pump out half the container from the bottom of the that container using a hose then add floating particles to the fuel pumped out and then reintroduce it to the container then repeat a few times and tell me the particules did not start to build up.
So your advice is to run the tank down to the warning light often? Or vary?
Old 02-09-06, 10:08 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Well once a month at least run it down to the light or just below 1/8th tank.

Originally Posted by ES3
So your advice is to run the tank down to the warning light often? Or vary?
Old 02-10-06, 04:51 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

First off, there aren't giant pieces of dirt floating around in your gasoline. Yes, there are contaminants, but no, they're not gigantic visible pieces of dirt.

Secondly, your fuel filter is there for a reason. You won't clog it. You're seriously paranoid, Relax. They make pills that might help.
Old 02-10-06, 07:12 AM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by heffergm
First off, there aren't giant pieces of dirt floating around in your gasoline. Yes, there are contaminants, but no, they're not gigantic visible pieces of dirt.

Secondly, your fuel filter is there for a reason. You won't clog it. You're seriously paranoid, Relax. They make pills that might help.
I'll have to agree slightly on this one - unless you have a 1967 Chevelle or something of that era - at which point running the tank low will certainly suck up some chunks...
Old 02-10-06, 09:17 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kailua250
lol... what's the myth about the gas truck???
Old 02-10-06, 04:16 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Like i said believe what ever you want, i'm just watching out for the team

Originally Posted by heffergm