IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: do you have an aftermarket HID kit installed on your IS?
YES
27.91%
NO
17.44%
Probably will in the very near future
46.51%
WIsh I had the $$$ to install HID's
8.14%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

How many IS's have had an aftermarket HID kit installed or will for sure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 05:22 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Delmiroc
I agree, you’re not only paying for a factory HID system when you get the sport package, there’s more things included in this package. I think aftermarket HID kits can be a headache, I had them on my 01 accord coupe, and it messed up the electrical in that car. Also you’ll never get a true HID beam if you don’t get a true HID projector and there’s no way in hell I’m going to retro fit a HID projector on a nonHID one too much mess. If you are willing to put up with the dealer’s BS about the warranty and possible problems that might come from aftermarket HID kits, like burning your ECU, beam patterns ect.. then get one

Personally I wouldn’t touch a $40thousand car.
your 40K car didn't come with HID's??? hahahaha.

I installed the HID kit and it looks great with the halogen projectors. I've already compared it to an IS with OEM HID and its virtually identical (HAVE YOU!?!?). HID's are acutally less wattage then halogens after start-up and mine are hooked directly to the battery (and fused) for startup power. Sounds like you took short cuts on your Accord HID install.....sorry about that...
Old 03-14-06, 05:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I bet Xenondepot.com [and the like] must be lovin the new IS.
Old 03-14-06, 08:29 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I installed the HID kit and it looks great with the halogen projectors. I've already compared it to an IS with OEM HID and its virtually identical (HAVE YOU!?!?). HID's are acutally less wattage then halogens after start-up and mine are hooked directly to the battery (and fused) for startup power. Sounds like you took short cuts on your Accord HID install.....sorry about that...
I can deffiantly see you spent less then i did and i know you got what you payed for, so great job. Im sure it probley looks very close to the real thing, but so do fake rolex's. Some people will try anything to get the look without the price.
Old 03-14-06, 02:31 PM
dainese954
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by integlikew
I can deffiantly see you spent less then i did and i know you got what you payed for, so great job. Im sure it probley looks very close to the real thing, but so do fake rolex's. Some people will try anything to get the look without the price.
i think ur just a little mad kuz we got "what we've paid for" and from the outside ours look just as good as the one u have. ur making this sound like we are ghetto rigging our 40k car. maybe some of us like myself only wanted the HIDs not all the other stuff that comes with the packages. and yes if they did offer a HID as a standalone option i'm pretty sure most of us reading this would have gotten it.
Old 03-15-06, 07:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dainese954
i think ur just a little mad kuz we got "what we've paid for" and from the outside ours look just as good as the one u have. ur making this sound like we are ghetto rigging our 40k car. maybe some of us like myself only wanted the HIDs not all the other stuff that comes with the packages. and yes if they did offer a HID as a standalone option i'm pretty sure most of us reading this would have gotten it.
well said.

.......by the way, did you get your HID kit installed ok?
Old 03-15-06, 04:52 PM
dainese954
Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
well said.

.......by the way, did you get your HID kit installed ok?
not yet they steve is sending the grommets in the mail and then i'll have them installed
Old 03-15-06, 05:12 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by integlikew
Wow, did he just compare the OEM HID's with a Rolex....
Who cares if it looks close to the "real thing." IMO, mine look better than the so called "real" HID's part of a $4,000 package. I'll take this over the OEM ones all day long.
Attached Thumbnails How many IS's have had an aftermarket HID kit installed or will for sure?-dscn0061.jpg  
Old 03-16-06, 04:58 AM
Delmiroc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Payam
Who cares if it looks close to the "real thing." IMO, mine look better than the so called "real" HID's part of a $4,000 package. I'll take this over the OEM ones all day long.

Dude... dude you're makin yourself look like an ***.. theres no way to tell on your picture how "great" your HID kit looks when you're takin the picture infront of the car.. be happy and enjoy your kit..
Old 03-16-06, 11:54 AM
hguy4x
Driver

Originally Posted by Payam
the entire point of getting aftermarket HIDs are so you can see better at night. Take a before/after shot of your lights. Then take a shot hitting a wall about 50 feet away and show us the cutoff line. If you're still using the halogen projectors, I doubt you'll have them. The cutoff line is why everyone does a retrofit.
Old 03-16-06, 05:31 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hguy4x
the entire point of getting aftermarket HIDs are so you can see better at night. Take a before/after shot of your lights. Then take a shot hitting a wall about 50 feet away and show us the cutoff line. If you're still using the halogen projectors, I doubt you'll have them. The cutoff line is why everyone does a retrofit.
Here's a shot from inside the car.
Attached Thumbnails How many IS's have had an aftermarket HID kit installed or will for sure?-dscn0068.jpg  
Old 03-16-06, 06:45 PM
sab504
Pit Crew

Hey payam! Do you mind telling me what kind of HID & Fog bulb brand setup you have on your car. It matches really well! Oh do you also have the blue tint overlay from aerotect for your fogs? =)
Old 03-16-06, 06:57 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sab504
Hey payam! Do you mind telling me what kind of HID & Fog bulb brand setup you have on your car. It matches really well! Oh do you also have the blue tint overlay from aerotect for your fogs? =)
I know they are 8000k HID headlights and fog lights but the brand name has slipped my mind, I'll talk to my car guy and find out for you. The running lights are hyper white LED's(actually, there are 5 LED's on eash bulb.) And no, I don't have the blue overlays....
Old 03-16-06, 07:44 PM
yellowssm
Lead Lap

From your pictures, I like the look better than the stock HID's I have on my 350, but again its just a pictures and would have to see it in person to really tell.
Old 03-16-06, 08:10 PM
shrka
Pole Position

the issue about condensation, has anyone considered having
someone fabricate a whole hid headlight assembly? I think I read somewhere that companies do this?...just a thought
Old 03-17-06, 04:12 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

the first pic is halogens....

and this one is after the HID install (both pics courtesy of muzzman1

Last edited by bagwell; 03-17-06 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: How many IS's have had an aftermarket HID kit installed or will for sure?