IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2 part question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 12:47 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 part question

I have decided to get some Monet Vintage rims in silver for my IS. I am told by the salesman for a company I wont mention yet [he does machining for the company Monet] that the back pad on the wheel is large enough so that he can machine it to fit the way the OEM spec is. question one: what is the spec for the 18 inch wheel on the IS? question two: is this safe to do? he said that its only a few millimeters and having been a machinist once I know thats not very much but does it make the wheel unsafe?
Old 02-07-06, 12:51 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digital_b
I have decided to get some Monet Vintage rims in silver for my IS. I am told by the salesman for a company I wont mention yet [he does machining for the company Monet] that the back pad on the wheel is large enough so that he can machine it to fit the way the OEM spec is. question one: what is the spec for the 18 inch wheel on the IS? question two: is this safe to do? he said that its only a few millimeters and having been a machinist once I know thats not very much but does it make the wheel unsafe?
Yes, you can machine the hub to obtain the correct offset. How much is going to depend on how the wheels is built in the first place.
Old 02-07-06, 03:02 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea you cant machine too much off without it becoming unsafe

Stock wheel specs:
Front: 18 x 8, +45 offset
Rear: 18 x 8.5, +50 offset
Old 02-07-06, 03:16 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Dumb question... Why not buy a wheel with the correct offset? They can tell you that maching is safe but without prior distructive testing they do not know for sure. The manufacturer designed the wheel and tested the wheel in it's current state. If you remove material it will affect the strength. How much is the million dollar question. May be fine and never have an issue. Might hit a pot hole and fracture the wheel. In an extreme example they could fracture under hard braking. There must be a reason that particular wheel is not offered in the offset you need. Perhaps it's the design of wheel that won't allow the needed offset? I would find another wheel you like that is correct.
Old 02-07-06, 04:11 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverBolt
Dumb question... Why not buy a wheel with the correct offset? They can tell you that maching is safe but without prior distructive testing they do not know for sure. The manufacturer designed the wheel and tested the wheel in it's current state. If you remove material it will affect the strength. How much is the million dollar question. May be fine and never have an issue. Might hit a pot hole and fracture the wheel. In an extreme example they could fracture under hard braking. There must be a reason that particular wheel is not offered in the offset you need. Perhaps it's the design of wheel that won't allow the needed offset? I would find another wheel you like that is correct.
the less expensive wheels they only make them in very few offsets sometimes only 1, like some of the racing hart evolutions come only in +42

only the more expensive wheels come in all the offsets of your choosing
Old 02-07-06, 07:13 PM
SilverBolt
Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the less expensive wheels they only make them in very few offsets sometimes only 1, like some of the racing hart evolutions come only in +42

only the more expensive wheels come in all the offsets of your choosing
Ah. Save your soda cans and get a proper offset wheel. The wheel salesman is no engineer. He wants to sell you what he has or can get.
Old 02-07-06, 09:59 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

relax dudes. I appreciate the info. I happen to really like the look of the wheel. its commonly seen on bmw 545s. if you can point me to a wheel that looks like that and doesnt need machining I will buy it. never said I was actually purchasing this particular wheel, I was just asking for info/advice.
Old 02-08-06, 08:43 AM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Becareful if you machine it too much, you won't have enough clearance for the front break. My best advice here is just try on the wheel on the car, and see how much clearance you have before machining it. Good luck with your wheels purchase.