IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

BWB vs. Blue Onyx

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 08:55 PM
Flyboy71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BWB vs. Blue Onyx

Having a tough time deciding which color to go with. I typically buy lighter color cars, but the Blue onyx looks sharp during the day. But I think BWB looks better at night. Opinions anyone?
Old 02-07-06, 09:30 PM
tdog09
Driver

I'm still struggling with this issue as well...

When I first saw bwb, it was inside a warehouse, and i thought it looked beautiful, and I was instantly hooked. But as the time passed and my memory of it faded I started to question my decision. To me pictures of the bwb dont really show off the true color, as it makes the color look faded (more towards silver than it really is).

Then I let other's negative opinions overrule mine and I began to like it less and less, so when I went and saw it again I had a negative tone to it, and started looking more at blue onyx. I think its a great color, but my 1 HUGE downside to it is that i dont wanna another dark car (have black now). They show everything..dirt, scratches, etc. The blue onyx can also look almost black in some light.

Now I'm beginning to move more to the bwb, and am planning one more trip to the dealer to see it (if any of them have one in). Usually your first choice is more true to your self, but could also merrit more thought, so way the ups and downs!

by the way.....bwb is quite rare, and i consider this a huge plus!!
Old 02-07-06, 10:08 PM
brewkp4
Pole Position

The BWB has really grown on me. I use to think it was kind of "girly" but I think of it more as unique. I think it looks absolutely amazing at night. I have Blue Onyx and I love it. I love the way it looks in the night and during the day. One thing I regret though is the fact I underestimated the upkeep with the dark color. I wish I took more time to look into more colors, but the way I look at it you cannot really go wrong with any color with the new IS.....it is just a fine looking car it doesnt matter....
Old 02-07-06, 10:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Breakwater Blue has been quite an issue over the past week. It's a Love It of Hate It color. Blue Onyx is more popular because of its aggressive dark stance which helps define the IS performance edge.

BWB Pros: young, unique, fresh, distinctive, very clean, easy to spot in a parking lot, rare.
BWB Cons: too young, not "masculine", not aggressive.

Blue Onyx Pros: sleek, sexy, edgy, suprising (blue by day, black by night), bold.
Blue Onyx Cons: gets dirty easily, hides some of the body lines/curves that define the IS, conformist color.

How would you describe your personality? Does it complement some of the descriptions above?
Old 02-08-06, 03:16 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Breakwater Blue has been quite an issue over the past week. It's a Love It of Hate It color. Blue Onyx is more popular because of its aggressive dark stance which helps define the IS performance edge.

BWB Pros: young, unique, fresh, distinctive, very clean, easy to spot in a parking lot, rare.

Blue Onyx Pros: sleek, sexy, edgy, suprising (blue by day, black by night), bold.
Blue Onyx Cons: gets dirty easily, hides some of the body lines/curves that define the IS, conformist color.

How would you describe your personality? Does it complement some of the descriptions above?

I wouldnt call BOP a conformist color at all... I would that that silver would be more of a conformist color if anything.... in certain lights i felt that BWB was a bit underwhelming... especially in bright, direct sunlight... almost as if the color was washed out in the reflections...
Old 02-08-06, 05:54 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

I am always partial to the darker colors, so my vote is for Blue Onyx
Old 02-08-06, 06:09 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

I have to admit I always though light-blue was a bit feminine. Nothing wrong with it, just not bold. I think it would be a fitting color on an ES, not as a sporty car. The same goes for Mystic Gold that is available. I hate gold colored cars and it does not fit the IS IMO. I also think Glacier Frost fits into this category.

I think they should have played around with bolder versions of the other colors. BMW has like 3 dark/medium Blues for the 3 series. How about keeping BO and adding a medium gray-blue, something of a combo with SGM. Or two versions of red.

BO all the way in this contest.

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

Old 02-08-06, 08:19 AM
brewkp4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lem144
Or two versions of red.

I agree about red. I have been saying that from day 1. I would have liked to see a more of a "fire" red that would look real sporty- in addition to the option of the current matador of course. I also like the idea of BO and SGM, I think that would look sharp...
Old 02-08-06, 09:38 AM
Cypren
Driver

Originally Posted by Lem144
INothing wrong with it, just not bold. I think it would be a fitting color on an ES, not as a sporty car. The same goes for Mystic Gold that is available. I hate gold colored cars and it does not fit the IS IMO.
The first time my wife walked into a Lexus dealership, there was a gold IS sitting on the showroom floor. First words out of her mouth: "that car looks like it gets driven to and from the retirement home." We've called it "geezer gold" ever since.
Old 02-08-06, 10:12 AM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a little bias to BOP, however the up keep takes a little extra effort. Most of the IS's I've seen in my area are either BWB, Silver or White (south FL = greater population of light colored cars). One thing that turns me off of the BWB is it has a resemblance to Silver, haven't seen it at night though. The BOP can look Dark Blue, Black and even a rich Purple in some lighting. Your final choice should be what you want and like because your the one that has to live with it. Just my 2 cents
Old 02-08-06, 02:48 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Either one will make you very HAPPY