IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Climate Control Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-06, 10:19 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Climate Control Concerns

When I'm in 1 of 2 if the IS350's auto settings, the fan speed doesn't change at all, no matter HOW much I change the temp? Is this normal? In my ES300, if I put the climate control on auto, and turned the temp dramatically different than the current temp, the system would automatically increase or decrease the fan speed, as needed? Truth be told I like it when the system decides when the fan speed is ready to be turned up or down, based on air temp? Anyone else notice this issue?
Old 02-07-06, 10:26 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Depends. If I've just started the car up and the the cabin temperature is below the set temperature on the climate controls, no matter how high the temperature is set including "HI", the fan speed won't change...... until the car/heater warms up.

That's the only time I've noticed the fan speed doesn't change.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-08-06, 10:14 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

My experience is the same as Kermee's. When the engine is cold, the fan is initially off and gradually increases as the engine warms up. Once the engine is warm, the fan speed varies based on the difference between cabin temp and set point.

One other thing I've noticed: under high demand/warm engine, fan speed is one tick below maximum when the car is under way, and speeds up to maximum the car is stopped. I suppose this is to take advantage of the "ram air" effect.
Old 02-08-06, 10:37 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I've NEVER seen my fan speed change. Perhaps it's because even though I keep the climate in "auto" I turn the A/C off. Do any of you keep A/C on in auto mode?
Old 02-08-06, 10:38 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kermee
Depends. If I've just started the car up and the the cabin temperature is below the set temperature on the climate controls, no matter how high the temperature is set including "HI", the fan speed won't change...... until the car/heater warms up.

That's the only time I've noticed the fan speed doesn't change.

Cheers,
Kermee
Hey Kermee! So are you saying you've seen the fan change on its own, or noticed the fan speed changed, after checking back.. once the temp is warm enough?
Old 02-08-06, 10:48 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I didn't think you could have Auto without AC. Your system will run full tilt trying to cool, with nothing to help it cool.
Old 02-08-06, 10:51 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we are in winter, I usually keep it in auto mode and shut the AC off when I start the car. The fan speed will ramp up and down to maintain the setpoint (usually between 70 and 72 degrees)
Old 02-09-06, 11:43 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Since we are in winter, I usually keep it in auto mode and shut the AC off when I start the car. The fan speed will ramp up and down to maintain the setpoint (usually between 70 and 72 degrees)
WHen you say the fan speed ramps up... do you know this by the display, or just the noise of the fan. I ask because on my nav display the fan speed NEVER changes from where I left it, EVEN in auto mode. I sometimes hear the fan a little more than others, but shouldn't the display move with the fan, to show what the speed is?

My main goal here is never having to adjust the fan, rather adjust the temp... but both auto modes don't seem to offer this.

Again, I typicaly turn off the A/C in auto mode, since it seems foolish to use when it's freezing out, but I wonder if that is messing with the way the auto climate control works!?
Old 02-09-06, 11:49 AM
evren
Rookie

Related Q: Anyone happen to know if the pollen microfilter dealie (works really well if passing a smelly part of town!) is supposed to turn off after 30 seconds?
Old 02-09-06, 11:52 AM
Foxberry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES3
WHen you say the fan speed ramps up... do you know this by the display, or just the noise of the fan. I ask because on my nav display the fan speed NEVER changes from where I left it, EVEN in auto mode. I sometimes hear the fan a little more than others, but shouldn't the display move with the fan, to show what the speed is?

My main goal here is never having to adjust the fan, rather adjust the temp... but both auto modes don't seem to offer this.

Again, I typicaly turn off the A/C in auto mode, since it seems foolish to use when it's freezing out, but I wonder if that is messing with the way the auto climate control works!?
Both...I don't have the nav, but the fan display (number of bars) go up and down as the fan ramps up and down...and I can hear the change audibly as well....and I always turn the A/C off.
Old 02-09-06, 12:15 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Foxberry
Both...I don't have the nav, but the fan display (number of bars) go up and down as the fan ramps up and down...and I can hear the change audibly as well....and I always turn the A/C off.

Thanks! Sounds like the issue MAY be related to the nav!?

Calling anyone else with nav! Same questions, do you notice the fan speed on the readout actually changes, when you ONLY change the temperature? In other words, can you get the fan speed to change without touching any of the fan control buttons!?
Old 02-09-06, 12:25 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3

Calling anyone else with nav! Same questions, do you notice the fan speed on the readout actually changes, when you ONLY change the temperature? In other words, can you get the fan speed to change without touching any of the fan control buttons!?
I have the navi, and I see the speed on the readout change. When I first start the car and the engine is cold, none of the blue boxes are highlighted. Then as the engine warms up, first the lowest one comes on, then it moves to the second one, and so forth over to the right. Eventually, as the cabin warms, it starts moving back to the left.
Old 02-09-06, 12:36 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
I have the navi, and I see the speed on the readout change. When I first start the car and the engine is cold, none of the blue boxes are highlighted. Then as the engine warms up, first the lowest one comes on, then it moves to the second one, and so forth over to the right. Eventually, as the cabin warms, it starts moving back to the left.
I see the same with Bichon. If you disable the jump back to NAV from Climate/Audio/etc., you can leave it on the Climate screen and watch the fan speed.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-09-06, 12:39 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES3

it has nothing to do with the NAV--it's a function of the automatic climate control not to have any fan on until the radiator is sufficiently warm, so you don't get a blast of cold air when the car is still cold.
Old 02-09-06, 12:49 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bichon
This is DEFINITELY not working with mine... Curious, which of the 2 auto modes do you run in, also do you leave the A/C on?

Quick Reply: Climate Control Concerns