IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus Nav made by Fujutsu Ten?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 08:38 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Nav made by Fujutsu Ten?

I recently installed an Eclipse AVN 5435 Nav in my truck and have been playing with it.

Then, I noticed something interesting.........The display is identical to the Lexus Nav in the IS350! Same map, icons, movements.....same-same.

Not that it's a big deal or anything, but when I get the IS home, I'll drop the Lexus Nav disc into my Eclipse Nav and see if it recognizes it. If it does, that would mean that we could probably get replacement map discs or upgraded maps from Eclipse cheaper than Lexus.......

Just thought I'd share my observations.....
Old 02-08-06, 08:51 AM
SilverBolt
Driver

You may be on to something. Obviously Lexus does not make them. Sounds like you stumbled on to their source.
Old 02-08-06, 09:02 AM
Morrissey
Driver

I checked out a few on eBay. Looks like it's the same kind of system. The display looks identical, and the buttons are on the left and right hand side of the display. It's also double din like the OEM nav system.

I wonder how hard it would be to replace the base stereo head unit with the AVN5435. It's a cheaper alternative. You can get one for just over a $1000 if you find the right deal.
Old 02-08-06, 09:15 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Yes, Fujitsu Ten is one of the primary sources of Lexus Nav systems (I have the prior version AVN 2454 in my GS and it looks just like the 4th Gen LS systems I've played with (pic below)), I specifically wanted a smooth OEM-style integration.

Unlike the OEM nav, the aftermarket HU's fold out even though they're flush
Right click save as for a short video of the rear camera working and the DVD fold out

The OEM does have a few things the aftermarket does not have (at least in mine):
- Voice integration
- Bluetooth integration
- Integration with AC/Heat controls
- Trip computer and other systems stuff
- Upgrades to nav disks harder to get if at all available for non-OEM
Old 02-08-06, 09:31 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Awesome, now I'm excited A Nav mod is a major one I'd like to do to my car. It would have been unlikely to get the OEM installed from the dealer, so I think this Eclipse Nav is a great alternative.

I haven't read anything on this forum about people installing an aftermarket Nav system in their IS yet. I have some reservations since I'm not sure how A/C and all that will work.
Old 02-08-06, 11:08 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure any good Audio shop that has the references for custom work can make the Eclipse work in a non -nav IS.....

There might not be a drop in install kit, but even I have done custom fab to get heads in cars. It's not hard to do.

For anyone looking into the Eclipse Navs, if you want to disable the saftey feature/parking brake requirement, simply ground the wire that goes to the parking brake wire coming off the Nav unit. It's the one labled "Parking" and is red and white I believe. This allows you to watch DVD's in motion as well as toggle the Nav menues w/o stopping. Otherwise, you have to stop and apply the P brake to set directions or mess with settings.
Old 02-08-06, 05:38 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fujitsu-Ten (aka Eclipse) makes the NAV units for Lexus. Their last set of navis (AVN2454) was the Gen 4 Nav. The current Eclipse units are the same as the Gen 5.

Toyota actually funded Fujitsu-Ten (in the 60s I think?) and had the first in-car audio system in Japan. After that, funding continued and Fujitsu developed into a larger company... the brand "Eclipse" was created because the name Fujitsu-Ten related too much to OEM product in Japan. Even now, the Eclipse brand is seen as OEM in Japan and the "Sound Monitor" (ultra premium on par w/ the Denon and Alpine F#1 units) line was released... too bad it never came to the US.

I can't really find the original website I've read regarding the full history of F-Ten, but here is something that's close to what I read... too bad it's not in a chronilogical order...

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_herst...ompany_id=7324

Enjoy.
Old 02-11-06, 12:32 PM
TACOMAN23
Driver School Candidate

Hey there. I do not think that FTEN is the primary supplier of the Navigation systems in Lexus or Toyota. I believe it is DENSO. From what I have read on-line about this company, it is part of TMC (Toyota Motor Corporation). I talked to my dealer and they informed me that these guys do everything from navigation systems to air conditioning system. They engineer and manufacture good quality products, compared to FTEN.

I have used the FTEN Eclipse and YES, it is identical to the Toyota 2DIN NAVI (DENSO) graphics and all.. But, I heard that the map DVDs are not compatible with Toyota's OE NAVI, which happens to be DENSO's. My buddy has the Toyota 2DIN NAVI (DENSO's) in his vehicle and prefer that over the Eclipse.
Old 02-11-06, 11:08 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TACOMAN23
Hey there. I do not think that FTEN is the primary supplier of the Navigation systems in Lexus or Toyota. I believe it is DENSO. From what I have read on-line about this company, it is part of TMC (Toyota Motor Corporation). I talked to my dealer and they informed me that these guys do everything from navigation systems to air conditioning system. They engineer and manufacture good quality products, compared to FTEN.

I have used the FTEN Eclipse and YES, it is identical to the Toyota 2DIN NAVI (DENSO) graphics and all.. But, I heard that the map DVDs are not compatible with Toyota's OE NAVI, which happens to be DENSO's. My buddy has the Toyota 2DIN NAVI (DENSO's) in his vehicle and prefer that over the Eclipse.

pioneer and alpine also have similar graphics. denso supplies the nav for lexus. its why nakamichi was canned and mark levinson was signed on, because nakamichi would not integrate with denso electronics for nav/stereo.
Old 02-12-06, 09:16 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's FTEN. The accesories department at work sells the Eclipse systems and they're piece for piece, menu for menu the exact same as the Lexus's. Even the "I agree" screen, the touch screen beep, the button beep, it's all the same which is why I might put it in my ES since I'm so used to its interface.
Old 02-12-06, 09:27 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Please some one do the NAVI mod for IS350. I've been looking for it but I really cant find an open space to stuff the navi unit on the dash.