IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Main difference between IS 350 SPRT PKG versus LUX PKG

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 11:25 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lux for me... I wanted the illuminated sills and I wanted wood. I also wanted the sport suspension but even the Lux suspension is pretty stiff so I no regrets here.
Old 02-10-06, 11:42 AM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by r6z9r
I don't think you get ML without the Navigation...am I wrong?
You definitely can get ML without Nav. But it is more likely to require a special order as the norm for most dealer allocations appears to be bundling ML with Nav (if they get ML at all).
Old 02-10-06, 11:43 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

why would you get ML if you dont get NAV, how you going to use surround sound with the stock cd player?
Old 02-10-06, 11:56 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Langdell
You definitely can get ML without Nav. But it is more likely to require a special order as the norm for most dealer allocations appears to be bundling ML with Nav (if they get ML at all).
Off topic for this thread, but I actually heard that Lexus changed their mind and they no longer offer ML without nav. The ML standalone option is also no longer listed on their website... Only the nav standalone or nav/ML:

http://lexus.com/models/is/price_options.html
Old 02-10-06, 12:05 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by dfw350
why would you get ML if you dont get NAV, how you going to use surround sound with the stock cd player?
I'm not sure exactly what the differences, if any, are between the non-ML/ML or non-Nav/Nav CD player hardware are. But I would assume that getting ML without Nav gives you all the same audio capabilities (including the ability to play DVD-A) as the ML/Nav system. It's just the controls that are different (buttons in place of touch-screen) and, obviously, you can't watch DVD video. Also, for one thing, the ML system is supposed to include surround software that can be set to synthesize surround from 2-channel sources. (ML may well borrow this process from sister company Harman/Kardon. My home H/K AV receiver has the same feature, and it works surprisingly well.)

More important (to me anyway) than surround or exotic format choices, the ML system gets you upgraded amp and speakers. That hardware should improve the sound quality over stock whether listening in stereo or surround.

I originally was going to get ML without Nav, which is how I know it can be done. I talked myself into getting Nav anyway (more for goodies like Bluetooth and rear back-up cam than the navigation system itself), so my car will have both.

Last edited by Langdell; 02-10-06 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-10-06, 12:12 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by diablo1
Off topic for this thread, but I actually heard that Lexus changed their mind and they no longer offer ML without nav. The ML standalone option is also no longer listed on their website... Only the nav standalone or nav/ML:

http://lexus.com/models/is/price_options.html
That same info. was on the website a month ago when I placed my original special order for a car with ML only. One of the first things I asked my dealer was whether I could get ML without Nav, and I pointed out that the Lexus website made it sound like it could not be done. I was given a print out of all the available options, which included a stand-alone ML option. The most believable thing they told me is that the factory is only making cars with ML & Nav except by special order.

(Turns out I later decided I wanted Nav anyway and was told by my original dealer that it would still have to be a special order. But that's another story.)
Old 02-10-06, 12:14 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Langdell
I'm not sure exactly what the differences, if any, are between the non-ML/ML or non-Nav/Nav CD player hardware are. But I would assume that getting ML without Nav gives you all the same audio capabilities (including the ability to play DVD-A) as the ML/Nav system. It's just the controls that are different (buttons in place of touch-screen) and, obviously, you can't watch DVD video. Also, for one thing, the ML system is supposed to include surround software that can be set to synthesize surround from 2-channel sources. (ML may well borrow this process from sister company Harman/Kardon. My home H/K AV receiver has the same feature, and it works surprisingly well.)

More important (to me anyway) than surround or exotic format choices, the ML system gets you upgraded amp and speakers. That hardware should improve the sound quality over stock whether listening in stereo or surround.

I originally was going to get ML without Nav, which is how I know it can be done. I talked myself into getting Nav anyway (more for goodies like Bluetooth and rear back-up than the navigation system itself), so my car will have both.
Standalone ML (if it's even available), only provides CD playback, it does not have DVD-A capability.
Old 02-10-06, 01:03 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Standalone ML (if it's even available), only provides CD playback, it does not have DVD-A capability.
That's good to know. It might also help explain the price difference between stand-alone ML and ML/Nav.
Old 02-10-06, 01:17 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I just got this email. I'm going to start a new thread about it since I think people will want to know.

Response (Tyrone Cadle) 02/10/2006 01:17 PM Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

Thank you for your interest in the Lexus IS 250.

We apologize for the confusion, the Mark Levinson is only available with the Navigation System Package. It is not available separately or with any other packages.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Tyrone Cadle
Lexus Customer Satisfaction
Old 02-10-06, 01:34 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

i dont know much about car suspensions......but how much of a difference will the sport suspensions make?
Old 02-10-06, 01:41 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

1/2" drop and stiffer suspension.
not much, but better for handling, even if only by a little.
Old 02-10-06, 01:43 PM
nehal51086
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dfw350
1/2" drop and stiffer suspension.
not much, but better for handling, even if only by a little.

thanks....i knew about the drop and stiffer suspension...i just didnt know how that made a diff.....thanks
Old 02-10-06, 02:37 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I haven't noticed the suspension being any harsher than my '02 IS.
Old 02-11-06, 09:45 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is certainly harsher than the non sport suspension. no doubt about it. yet better than the stock suspension in the acura TL.
Old 02-11-06, 10:19 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by digital_b
it is certainly harsher than the non sport suspension. no doubt about it. yet better than the stock suspension in the acura TL.
Geez, non-sport IS's must feel like a sofa on wheels. I basically went from the '02 IS into an '06 Sport as quick as you can say "here's the keys", and noticed no real difference.

Last edited by TimboIS; 02-11-06 at 10:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Main difference between IS 350 SPRT PKG versus LUX PKG