IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Aux Input Problem - IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 12:12 PM
evren
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Input Problem - IS350

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on an annoying issue with my ipod setup. Here's the deal: if I just plug the ipod into the aux-input using stereo-cable it works like a charm. If I just plug the ipod into the radioshack vertical adapter+Griffin Powerpod (power adapter for ipod) it works fine too. But if I try to play music while the ipod is charging, I get terribly unpleasant feedback/static. It kinda sounds like something is not grounded, though thats just a guess. Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?
Old 02-08-06, 12:28 PM
Langdell
Driver

You probably need a ground loop isolator to plug in between the iPod and the aux jack. Here is the one place I found that sells ground loop isolators with direct 3.5 mm connectors: http://www.electricalconnection.com/...se-filters.htm (Others that I have seen, like those sold by Radio Shack, have RCA connectors, which require additional, space-consuming adapter cables for in-car applications.)

I ordered the 3.5 mm ground loop isolator in order to use my XM Roady2 tuner with the aux input in my incoming IS350. I got the ground loop isolator, but am still waiting for my car, so I can't yet vouch for how well it works.
Old 02-08-06, 02:10 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I get terrible hum from the iPod/AUX when it's charging and not even playing or engne running. Playing straight from iPod battery (not charging) works great. Seems Lexus is doing something funky with that outlet. Maybe a better quality car charger/adapter would help (maybe it would have a filter built in?).
Old 02-08-06, 05:51 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

I have no problem with charging and listening to iPod when using the Belkin Auto Kit ($39 retail). You still need a male to male 3.5mm connector from the Belkin to the AUX input.

The Belkin Auto Kit connects the iPod to your car's 12V lighter jack, charging the iPod as well as providing an adjustable amplifier and a 3.5mm audio-out jack. The input to the iPod is through the dock connector. Using this connector is probably what eliminates the hum/noise. Also, from what I've read on Apple forums, the output via iPod dock connector gives better sonics than the headphone jack.
Old 02-08-06, 05:53 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup. You need a ground loop isolator.

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 02-08-06, 06:08 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by Kermee
Yup. You need a ground loop isolator.

Cheers,
Kermee
I skeptical that will solve the problem. The "Ground Loop Isolator" is designed to remove alternator noise from the audio signal. This noise is occurring even when the engine is OFF.
Old 02-08-06, 06:18 PM
mhiggi02
Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I skeptical that will solve the problem. The "Ground Loop Isolator" is designed to remove alternator noise from the audio signal. This noise is occurring even when the engine is OFF.
I purchased this product and it eliminated the issue completely. I had to get an adapater for the aux jack but no big deal.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search
Old 02-08-06, 06:42 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by rljones
I have no problem with charging and listening to iPod when using the Belkin Auto Kit ($39 retail). You still need a male to male 3.5mm connector from the Belkin to the AUX input.

The Belkin Auto Kit connects the iPod to your car's 12V lighter jack, charging the iPod as well as providing an adjustable amplifier and a 3.5mm audio-out jack. The input to the iPod is through the dock connector. Using this connector is probably what eliminates the hum/noise. Also, from what I've read on Apple forums, the output via iPod dock connector gives better sonics than the headphone jack.
Does the armrest close with the Belkin Auto kit plugged into the 12v jack?
Old 02-08-06, 06:53 PM
evren
Rookie

Looks like I can get one here: http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Pr...roduct=2700054
but I don't quite understand how I would connect any of those wires? My setup is explained in my first post, I have the 1 rca cable for audio, that will connect to this isolator dealie?
Old 02-08-06, 06:58 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take a few minutes to search some of the previous threads from november and mostly in december. i went from nothing to a noise-free ipod connected to aux thru the dock connector and charger using a dual-outlet (for cellphone charger) all comfortably tucked away in the compartment....thanks to a couple of key threads posted earlier complete with links and pics; at very little cost (some of the posts even had online discount codes). now all i need is a wireless remote (for nano or video).
Old 02-09-06, 06:40 PM
rljones
Driver School Candidate

TimbolS,

No, the armrest does not close with the Belkin adapter that I mentioned above. I will later create an adapter or tap into the armrest 12V source to run the cable directly out. We still need to run at least one cable out of the armrest box in order to keep the iPod accessible for changing songs, etc.
Old 02-09-06, 08:11 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

The guy that designed the outlet location in the armrest should be fired. I've never seen such a poor design in any vehicle.
Old 02-09-06, 08:34 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by rljones
We still need to run at least one cable out of the armrest box in order to keep the iPod accessible for changing songs, etc.
Does the armrest have a slot that lets a cable run out while the armrest is closed? Or do you have to either leave it open or (horror!) drill a hole?
Old 02-09-06, 08:53 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

You can probably run one of the new iPod Radio Remotes under the armrest...

Old 02-09-06, 08:58 PM
aznevoviii
Pole Position

I had same problem!!
ground loop isolator.... is the ****.. get it and enjoy your ipod!!!

Quick Reply: Aux Input Problem - IS350