IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is ML audio worth the extra $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 09:26 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AsianGirl007
What type of driver are you? Do you listen to traffic/sports/news? Or do you listen to music? Do you SOMETIMES have radio on in car or is it ALWAYS on? How many cd's do you own? While it's true the average person cannot tell the difference between stock and ML, it's also true the average person can tell the difference if they hear it back to back.
I've had cars without ML and I had a car with the ML. It's a awesome system. Personally I wouldn't get again, only because I had a problem with my car's stereo being nicer than the one in my house. lol
I listen to cd's almost exclusively, rarely radio. No immediate plans for DVD-A. I did get the nav, also, mainly for Bluetooth, don't really expect to use the GPS much.
Old 02-08-06, 10:17 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by casey225
I guess my biggest question is: was this only in the showroom, or can you still tell a significant difference when you're on the road? If I did get the ML, I would darn sure convince myself I noticed a differnce.
My biggest regret with the IS is that I don't have ML. The stock system has very disappointing bass, turn the control down and it's lacking, turn the control up and it's muddy. Music just doesn't have the visceral punch that makes it enjoyable. So I've been listening to a lot more NPR (talk radio) in the car, and doing my music listening at home.
Old 02-08-06, 10:55 PM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Guys Screw ML for the extra 1400....Your better off creating your own custom setup with some real subwoofers, 2 amps, ect ect the works. Thats if these Lexus IS areant too hard to mod and have an aftermarket cd player and EQ installed. It seems that the stock positioning of the tweeters ect is perfect so it shouldnt be hard. But Ive heard the ML, stock setup and it could never compare to the setup I plan on using...Side by side blind folded everyone would pick what I got planned, Im talking total Sound Quality now. . Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Pivo154; 02-08-06 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-08-06, 11:08 PM
AVALEX
Driver School Candidate

What setup are you planing on? I've got 2 12" Rockford Fosgate subs (800 watts each) and a Kenwood 1200 watt amp (bought setup from a friend) and a lightning capacitor that I will be transferring over from my old car. I might replace the amp, do you think it would be better to do two amps?

If you wanna see a really cool setup check out this kid:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2146050/1

I still can't believe this kid is only 15! I'm not making any judgements ... but I wish I had parents like that.
Old 02-09-06, 01:27 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

Yes Avalex definitely go with 2 amps. More headroom is always good. Ive been through so many different setups and spent so much money on car audio you wouldnt believe...And guess what Ive finally come to find is the best value for your money? Old school PPI art series amplifiers. They are from the 90's and sell like crazy on Ebay. I never believed any of the hype but a friend of my friend on an elite audio forum talked me into buying them since I was on a budget and once I turned on my setup I was blown away by how warm and powerful everything sounded vs modern amplifiers. I was using the exact same speakers, head unit, subwoofers, all I did was changed amplifiers...the speakers Im going to use are handmade in Germany and I havent picked out what subs to use yet. It sucks because I lost my entire audio setup in the Hurricane so I had to go buy everything again =( But now what worries me is not being able to use my own head unit and EQ.....I hope someone comes up with an alternative before I buy my car. The ride of the car is #1 priority but sound is very close second. Nothing makes you want to drive faster than an amazing audio system =)
Old 02-09-06, 01:38 AM
Pivo154
Lead Lap

I dont understand why the stock cd player cant be removed and replaced with an aftermarket setup? It looks like the stock cd player is a seperate piece from the rest of the center console. Someone correct me if Im wrong, or the pictures are decieving me....And if its not possible is there a way to use the top console where the navi would be if you were using non-navi? On the G35's its obvious the entire front console is one piece but here its not...If anyone has any idea about an aftermarket cd player please post here.
Old 02-09-06, 06:13 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bichon
My biggest regret with the IS is that I don't have ML. The stock system has very disappointing bass, turn the control down and it's lacking, turn the control up and it's muddy. Music just doesn't have the visceral punch that makes it enjoyable. So I've been listening to a lot more NPR (talk radio) in the car, and doing my music listening at home.
Not in my opinion.....radio and especially my iPod sound awesome on the base radio...PERIOD...I just drove the car 850 miles and coudln't be happier and I like all types of music played LOUD. Does the ML "sound better"? maybe....but there's also stuff out there that sounds better than the ML and probably for less $$$. same reply as I said for the NAV -- if you have the money to burn...sure...go for it...if not, you won't miss it at all IMO.
Old 02-09-06, 06:23 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never listened to the ML,. but i can say the stock system is def
not the best stock system out there, i think even bose makes" some" better
stock car systems. Even not having heard the ML , I still would of chose that
option without a 2nd thought!
Old 02-09-06, 06:56 AM
Lvangundy

It seems that the ML system on the IS350 is significantly improved over the previous versions, so personally I'd go for it.
Old 02-09-06, 07:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 267 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony1
i think even bose makes" some" better
stock car systems.
Agreed. I had the Bose stereo in my S4, and even though I had to replace a couple of woofers over the years due to the surround becoming unglued from the basket (causing horrific rattling and buzzing), when the system was working it sounded much better than the stock system in the IS.
Old 02-09-06, 07:08 AM
LSUFanMan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default listening to the prelude of bach's cello suite #1 in g-major while drivng to or from

Holy crap!!! This guy is serious about his music. Does Led Zepplin play anything in g-major?
Old 02-09-06, 07:57 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by casey225
I just ordered my 350 today, I heard the stock Pioneer system and thought it was okay for a stock system. The salesmen said they felt there was only a minor improvement in sound quality which could be heard in the showroom, but once you factor in road noise etc., they felt the minimal gain would be lost. I appreciated their honesty, but I would like to hear from others so that I may change my order while possible. I read Percy's excellent post, but want to hear from "average" listeners. BTW, Percy, I have never been impressed with Bose, maybe I'm an intermediate? To me the stereo is the second most important factor in ride quality (first is bhp... ). Thanks in advance.
this topic has been beaten to death--people who have them swear by them, while others either can't tell the difference or think it's not as good as aftermarket systems. You have to decide for yourself. Personally, I think it's worth the extra money.
Old 02-09-06, 07:58 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ML on the IS250/350 is a worthy upgrade...

Try any 5.1 DTS or Dolby surround sound DVD and play it. You will be floored. I'm talking movies which spend a lot on sound effects. Home theater in your car for $1400 ! Of course it is not intended to be used while driving but the same decoder brings realism unmatched by the stock system no matter what the source of the audio. You go from a 2.1 to a 7.1 listening enviroment.

Since IS350's are rare with Mark Levinson ask to listen to a GS300 Nav/Lev and bring your own sound source DVD or CD. Now go and compare it to the stock Pioneer in the IS250/350. For those that like to listen to their music loud you will have over a hundred more watts to pump the Sub with. You get the extra front center channel speaker information too.

This is duplicate thread really and many have talked about mods costing up to $10,000 that would sound much better. I'm not sure it is so easy to do it for the $1,400 and all of the hassles with the integrity of the system that come with it. The New 30,000 color VGA Nav screen is really part of the system and the built in controls both on screen and on the steering wheel would be difficult to integrate into a full custom head replacement but to each his own. Could you make it decode 5.1 into 7.1? Could the custom system play video? Are you going over the $1400 budget yet? A little early to be voiding your warranty isn't it?

The stock Pioneer has a decent sound with 13 Speakers playing. The Head Units for both systems are made by Pioneer anyway. This thread is the first time I've heard about any fiber optic area network with the Mark Levinson. I will try to verify this with the factory or Mark Levinson.
The stock system is OK until you hear it blown away in 5.1 Surround Sound @ 300 Watts with the added video perk.......The best news about the 2007 ES350 is that it will also get a comparable Mark Levinson system in a car that has the most sound insulation ever...

If you are already spending $43,000 for a car then $1400 is a small price for audio/video excellence. Mark Levinson just gives so many more possibilities to the aural dimension of the car. It creates separation just as much as horsepower does from the competition...

Rock
Old 02-09-06, 08:08 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get it just because you can use the dvd. People have hack the dvd already. I guess with the upgrade sound system you need for the movie you're significant other will be very happy. But if you are just driving yourself most of the time back to work ...... don't need to spend extra money on that.
Old 02-09-06, 09:13 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

The biggest difference I noticed was the muffled bass coming from the front sides in the non-ML car and the clear crisp sound coming from all speakers with the subwoofer creating bass from the rear.

Quick Reply: Is ML audio worth the extra $$$?