Factory Tint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-06, 09:53 PM
minger1179
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Tint?

Hello All,

I am new to this forum with a new IS 350 SGM with luxury package, but no ML since we didn't have that option over here in NoVA (short for northern VA).

My question is, do we have a slight tint on our cars already? Is it a UV tint and thats it? Why I ask, is because my dealer said there IS a tint that comes from the factory, my guess that it is dipped glass... I don't know for sure... that is why I am asking. Just curious if you all can confirm or deny this claim.

Thanks guys/gals.
Old 02-08-06, 10:05 PM
GSE25
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sales told me the car is pre-tinted with special UV chemicals already. Although the tint is barely noticable, it is still there.
Old 02-08-06, 10:20 PM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it's true but it is not exclusive to Lexus... Pretty much all cars manufactured nowadays have a factory tint that ranges from 2 - 7%. These tint %s are unnoticeable to the naked eye and companies use them to reduce the passenger exposure to UV rays.

You can find out what the factory percentage from the Lexus IS is by using a photometer, a device that reads the % of transmissible light through your windows. The easiest way to find one of these devices is by going to your local police station and asking them to do a reading for your car because you're planning on tinting the car legally. Just make sure that the device has been calibrated recently to assure the proper reading.
Old 02-09-06, 12:22 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by clausda0
uh........ No thanks

"well, sure i'll do a photon ray test on your car, no problem free of charge!" ~officer

"looks here like 93% of the photon is passing through" ~officer

"thanks mr. officer" ~me

"no problem guy, just 1 last thing, i'm gonna have to ticket you for illegal tint on your windows in the state of PA." ~officer

I foresee that happening.
That's pretty funny!! but a cop can't give you a ticket for tints if you don't have any tints on your windows... and if he does you can take him/her to court and the ticket will be cancelled since it was administered illegally. Anyway, most states offer this service as a courtesy for people to have "legal" tints".
Old 02-09-06, 04:45 AM
ahohnstein
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Alex350
Yes, it's true but it is not exclusive to Lexus... Pretty much all cars manufactured nowadays have a factory tint that ranges from 2 - 7%. These tint %s are unnoticeable to the naked eye and companies use them to reduce the passenger exposure to UV rays.

You can find out what the factory percentage from the Lexus IS is by using a photometer, a device that reads the % of transmissible light through your windows. The easiest way to find one of these devices is by going to your local police station and asking them to do a reading for your car because you're planning on tinting the car legally. Just make sure that the device has been calibrated recently to assure the proper reading.
My tint dealer has one. Check with yours. If they do they should be happy to do it for you.
Old 02-09-06, 06:12 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Most cars come with a 70% or higer tint.. Which is not noticable..
I used to have a 2001 CLK430 and it had a factory "
blue tint" which was pretty noticable, it made my light ash gray interior
look blue.. lol
Old 02-09-06, 08:20 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSE25
My sales told me the car is pre-tinted with special UV chemicals already. Although the tint is barely noticable, it is still there.
My tint guy told me the factory come pre-tinted... I was like