IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Negotiations on special orders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 10:32 AM
lexi06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negotiations on special orders?

For those who already own a 250/350 that was special ordered or expecting one..

Are prices negotiable on special orders? Just wanted to know. Thanks.
Old 02-09-06, 10:33 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexi06
For those who already own a 250/350 that was special ordered or expecting one..

Are prices negotiable on special orders? Just wanted to know. Thanks.
Of course it's negotiable. Of course, don't expect the dealer to want to drop the price much if he's got a bunch of other cars sitting on his lot that you're not interested in. He'd rather sell those today at a discount than sell yours in 4 months as MSRP.
Old 02-09-06, 10:35 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Anything is negotiable...but since it is a special order car it is highly unlikely.

I ordered a 350 Black on Black Lux/Nav/ML and got 1000 of MSRP that's because my girlfriend's brother works for Lexus.

Good Luck
Old 02-09-06, 10:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The amount you can negotiate out of a car on the lot is usually the same amount you can negotiate for a special order. You just have to decide if you want the "almost perfect" car on the lot, or the four month wait for the special order.
Old 02-09-06, 10:38 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

I got my IS250 at 3% over invoice, special order. It's not even here yet.
Old 02-09-06, 11:18 AM
teejnut
Lead Lap

I received $2k off my IS350 with navigation.
Old 02-09-06, 11:21 AM
casey225
Pole Position

Seems geographically dependent from what I can gather. Cali owners are reporting they can easily get $2-2.5K off MSRP. I have called all dealers in VA, TN and NC and none of them will budge. There is one in Charlotte who has a $250 internet coupon, but that's hardly worth the 7 hr. round trip for me.
Old 02-09-06, 12:04 PM
lexi06
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lem144
I got my IS250 at 3% over invoice, special order. It's not even here yet.
I was told by the dealership in Norwood that it'll take about 4 months. I'm thinking September timeframe so I should order by May or earlier.
Old 02-09-06, 01:58 PM
Wid IS350
Pole Position

If you can purchase with cash, you're more likely to get a deal since there isn't the hassle of financing for the dealer. Give them 50% when you place the order.
Old 02-09-06, 02:13 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
If you can purchase with cash, you're more likely to get a deal since there isn't the hassle of financing for the dealer. Give them 50% when you place the order.
False. Dealer's could care less where the money comes from these days. A cash buyer has no advantage over a financing buyer, and in fact is at something of a disadvantage depending on how the dealer works the financing (i.e. if there's trying to pad a number somewhere on a lease when negotiating with a buyer who's worried more about payments than what they'll actually end up paying).
Old 02-09-06, 02:24 PM
Langdell
Driver

Originally Posted by Wid IS350
Give them 50% when you place the order.
Whatever you do, I would certainly NOT give a dealer 50% when you place the order. A deposit in the range of $500-$1,000 is all that is required. If you have the cash on hand, you do not want to tie up half the price of a new Lexus for (at least) 3-4 months while waiting for a special order. That could prevent you from taking advantage of a better deal that might come along in the meantime and cause problems if you decide you want your money back (e.g., because of a problem with your order, dealer screwing you around, etc.). Plus, it seems to me that offering to give a dealer a 50% deposit--and you would be offering; no dealer will demand that if you don't bring it up first--is not the way to get a break on the price. Such an offer just tells the dealer that you really, really want this car and care more about that than holding onto your money.
Old 02-10-06, 05:39 AM
lexi06
Rookie

Speaking of deals, are the negotiations made at the time of the order or after the car arrives?

I would never put more than it's required for a deposit.
Old 02-10-06, 06:28 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Ira gave me a better deal than Norwood did. If you want I'll give you my sales guy's name.

3% over invoice.

They are really cool up there too.

Where in MA are you?

I made my deal when I ordered the car. The price is on the order form.

Originally Posted by lexi06
Speaking of deals, are the negotiations made at the time of the order or after the car arrives?

I would never put more than it's required for a deposit.
Old 02-10-06, 06:32 AM
Lem144
Intermediate

Not totally false. I went in with a $17k check once for an Accord and walked out 20 minutes later with a great deal. I said take it or leave it. That was in 2003 just months after it came out and was $800 under invoice.

If you spend lots of time with a dealer, need financing or if your credit is iffy, you might not get as good a deal because you could be taking a lot of time away from other sales that they could be making. All depends on when you go in and your tact too. Dont be an ******* to the sales people. Just be fair. If they spend lots of time with you they should be worth it to you to make more of a profit.

The worst customer is the one who spends hours test driving, asking questions, then leaves over $500 after wasting all of a salespersons time.

Originally Posted by heffergm
False. Dealer's could care less where the money comes from these days. A cash buyer has no advantage over a financing buyer, and in fact is at something of a disadvantage depending on how the dealer works the financing (i.e. if there's trying to pad a number somewhere on a lease when negotiating with a buyer who's worried more about payments than what they'll actually end up paying).
Old 02-10-06, 06:44 AM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lem144
Not totally false. I went in with a $17k check once for an Accord and walked out 20 minutes later with a great deal. I said take it or leave it. That was in 2003 just months after it came out and was $800 under invoice.

If you spend lots of time with a dealer, need financing or if your credit is iffy, you might not get as good a deal because you could be taking a lot of time away from other sales that they could be making. All depends on when you go in and your tact too. Dont be an ******* to the sales people. Just be fair. If they spend lots of time with you they should be worth it to you to make more of a profit.

The worst customer is the one who spends hours test driving, asking questions, then leaves over $500 after wasting all of a salespersons time.
He didn't take your offer because it was cash. He took your offer because you were clear, concise and very willing to walk out.

Quick Reply: Negotiations on special orders?