IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I Really Like How It Looks!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 11:38 AM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Really Like How It Looks!

Aside from what I have seen online, I have not really had the chance to see a new IS in person. Although I did at the dealer soon after it came out, it was cloudy and I didn't get a good luck. From what I had seen, I liked the IS but wasn't completely convinced.

Today, I saw a White IS sitting in a parking lot by me in the sun and I really took a look. The sunny weather allowed me to really notice the curves and shapes.

WOW! I was really impressed. The lines were just so aggressive but elegant. It looked "in motion" even though it was parked. I really now like the exterior of the car.

I have yet to really sit inside the car and look around. But if the outside is any indication of what it really is like on the inside, this will make me feel good about my future buying of it.

I just though I would express me newfound awe of the new IS.

Now, if I could just find time to go test drive one...

And to anyone who disagrees and thinks the car is ugly, boring, etc., I can really place that person in one of two categories:
1) Has never "Seen" the car in person
2) So biased that they lie to themselves

Anyway, I think I really like the new styling direction Lexus is taking. I just think that pictures alone do not do the cars justice. When I first saw the GS, I was not immediately in agreement. But once I saw it, I really liked it too. But I think the IS is the best looking of all 4 Next Gen Lexuses (GS, IS, LS, ES).
Old 02-10-06, 11:41 AM
dfw350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new GS looks good too, but IS is better
Old 02-10-06, 12:03 PM
250MT
Driver School Candidate

Default Looks better when it is not moving.

I have seen the car twice on the road, and I didn't quite like how the rear of the car looks. I think it looks a bit too round and high when you compare it with the rest of the cars on the road. However it looks a lot better when parked.

-J
Old 02-10-06, 12:21 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 250MT
I have seen the car twice on the road, and I didn't quite like how the rear of the car looks. I think it looks a bit too round and high when you compare it with the rest of the cars on the road. However it looks a lot better when parked.

-J
That's sad to say that a car with 306 hp and 0-60 in 5.2 sec "looks better when parked." YIKES!!!
Old 02-10-06, 12:23 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dfw350
the new GS looks good too, but IS is better
Agreed. Although the GS is purportedly the first model to be branded as L-finese styling, the IS seems to be THE one closer to the concept car, as well as the one to start a new direction for the brand resemblance, cue, trait, or whatever you want to call it. The upcoming LS and ES stylistically have more in common with the IS than the GS, witnessing the headlights, rear treatment, door handles, and even those "elephant ear" side mirrors (I really like their usefulness, as opposed to the slim but extremely limited mirrors of M3 and 350Z).
Old 02-10-06, 12:24 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

speaking of elephant ears, why are they so huge?
Old 02-10-06, 01:20 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

Wasn't the 2004 RX 330 the first Lexus to be designed using the L-Finesse concept?
Old 02-10-06, 01:31 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by sickntired
Wasn't the 2004 RX 330 the first Lexus to be designed using the L-Finesse concept?
The first to use L-Finesse is the new GS. Then the IS, LS, and ES. None of the SUVs or the SC has been under the L-Finesse design format.

The RX will most likely be changed by 2008 under the L-Finesse design format. 2006/7 was big for sedans. I hypothesize that 2008/9 will be big for the SUVs and the SC.
Old 02-10-06, 01:36 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Cuz the work better

I like the oversized mirrors. I don't think it takes anything away from the looks and they're very usefull especially with the IS' high beltline.
Old 02-10-06, 01:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Ramon
I like the oversized mirrors. I don't think it takes anything away from the looks and they're very usefull especially with the IS' high beltline.
They are huge, but I think they are necessary to compensate some of the big blind spots from the small rear window.
Old 02-10-06, 01:48 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 314 Likes on 192 Posts

I absolutely love the new IS - definitely the best looking new Lexus right now!
Old 02-10-06, 02:13 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mirrors on the new IS do look way to big for the car. Especially when viewed from the front. But if they are useful, so be it.
Old 02-10-06, 02:29 PM
S L I C K
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yaro1
But I think the IS is the best looking of all 4 Next Gen Lexuses (GS, IS, LS, ES).
The exterior of the 2006 IS is nice, but the interior isn't even close to being as nice as the 2006 GS's. The 3GS has the best looking interior and exterior, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. In the end, I'll get to drive both the 3GS and the 2IS whenever I want because I'll be getting a 2007 GS 350 AWD and my girlfriend is getting a 2007 IS 350 come September or whenever the new models come out. Life is good.
Old 02-10-06, 02:32 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 250MT

-J
I thought the same thing when I was following my wife and she was driving the IS the 1st day we came picked up the car from the dealership. It look kinda high from the back. Specially when seeing the car 's moving on the streets with other cars, the IS rear is just too high. I guess thast's why it look a lot better when parked. The front is just so sexy.
Old 02-10-06, 02:47 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by S L I C K
The exterior of the 2006 IS is nice, but the interior isn't even close to being as nice as the 2006 GS's. The 3GS has the best looking interior and exterior, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions. In the end, I'll get to drive both the 3GS and the 2IS whenever I want because I'll be getting a 2007 GS 350 AWD and my girlfriend is getting a 2007 IS 350 come September or whenever the new models come out. Life is good.
well the GS does cost more and is suppose to be more luxurious than the IS, being the second from the top sedan

Quick Reply: I Really Like How It Looks!