IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Came from a TL thinkin about the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-06, 05:15 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
No he doesn't, he deserves respect from the other members. Every negative point in this thread can easily be made in a more constructive manner.

This new member wants to know about the handling of the new IS, how about you guys with them tell him? Maybe share some info on VDIM?
Dave, I agree with you. The only thing that bugs me about the forum is that some people feel the need to put other people down. Somebody starts a thread with a good question, and usually they get good answers. But, so many times, the answers are just condescending or downright rude.

I really wish people could just answer the question, if they have an answer, or at least say something nice.

Thanks for the forum, it’ was invaluable in helping me decide to purchase the 350. In fact when I got to the Lexus dealer I already knew I was going to buy it. The test drive was almost a formality.
Old 03-12-06, 05:22 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Originally Posted by digital_b
this looks a lot like censorship. the guy admits he was speeding and on 'dead tires'. thats not a mistake its stupidity. the tl has a large turning radius which I learned the hard way. you just arent prepared for how large the radius is. for normal 'handling' the IS is very good but the sport version is 'obviously' better and will feel more like the tl. I just hope that the next time you recognize the gun is loaded that you will have enough sense to put it down and think about your next move. thats what most of the previous posters were saying in , frankly, language that isnt even close to the kind you should have gotten.
Sounds nothing like censorship. It sounds more like common courtesy. Censorship would have meant that the post in question never showed up, or showed up edited.

Who has the right to use the kind of language you referred to? Certainly not you or anybody else in this forum.. Maybe his parents if he is a minor, or maybe his insurance company (in the form of increased rates).
Old 03-12-06, 07:03 AM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow this is some thread....anyways I think you'll do great with a IS350 Sport in autocross but only if you can disable all the safety electronics and I think you can. Should be great for you, and it has a jillion airbags! jk
Old 03-12-06, 07:16 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

It's been hashed out quite a bit. Everyone really did jump on Valkrie. Valkrie, maybe next time it's a better idea to hold back some details. Common courtesy doesn't come easy to everyone and sometimes its the result of their insecurities.

To answer, rear wheel drive cars will always do much better. Never understood why Honda/Acura can't make a rear wheel drive common in their car lineup. I know they have one or two vehicles, but above and beyond that my opinion is as a sports car rear wheel drive is not an option but a requirement. Put a lot of power to front wheels and it's not only anti-sport, it's also down right dangerous.

It is quite possible VDIM would have taken the needed actions to avoid your accident all together. Good luck in your decision making process. My opinion is to go with the ISxxx
Old 03-12-06, 12:40 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now that the holier than thou have decided that suggestions about paying attention and not being a moron while driving are 'beating up the kid' here is a story for you. my car was damaged from behind on 2/24 while being [luckily for me] the 4th car involved in a pile up. the cars behind me were ravaged. I was stopped after signalling a left turn onto my street. a young kid driving an eclipse was LOOKING TO HIS LEFT INSTEAD OF FORWARD. and ran into the line of cars I was leading. the car he hit directly had 2 SMALL CHILDREN in it. the driver ADMITTED he wasnt paying attention according to his insurance company which paid for my repair and rental. it was very minor damage for me.

you can pontificate all you want about that morons feelings but there is a reason some of us get annoyed/angry when young [and old] idiots talk about their own dangerous driving. this accident took place 13 days after he posted. if I had been the driver of the car with children I would have beaten the **** out of the kid. unsafe driving involves more than just the driver. you should remember that the next time you decide to protect the feelings of someone who doesnt deserve it. driving is a priviledge not a right. anyone involved in a self induced accident is LUCKY that someone else doesnt get hurt.
Old 03-12-06, 01:26 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
Put a lot of power to front wheels and it's not only anti-sport, it's also down right dangerous.
and how is it anymore dangerous then a car that has a lot of power to the rear wheels, so a RWD is just safer somehow? i can argue that its easier to fishtail a RWD than a FWD, VDIM can only do so much, not makeup for having bald tires

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 03-12-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-12-06, 01:53 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
and how is it anymore dangerous then a car that has a lot of power to the rear wheels, so a RWD is just safer somehow? i can argue that its easier to fishtail a RWD than a FWD, VDIM can only do so much, not makeup for having bald tires
I'll tell you exactly what I mean. Front wheel drive cars with a lot of power can oversteer way too much when the differential breaks. It's...in my opnion..extremely dangerous. With a RWD car you'll always have your steering intact...ice aside.
Old 03-12-06, 01:58 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by digital_b
now that the holier than thou have decided that suggestions about paying attention and not being a moron while driving are 'beating up the kid' here is a story for you. my car was damaged from behind on 2/24 while being [luckily for me] the 4th car involved in a pile up. the cars behind me were ravaged. I was stopped after signalling a left turn onto my street. a young kid driving an eclipse was LOOKING TO HIS LEFT INSTEAD OF FORWARD. and ran into the line of cars I was leading. the car he hit directly had 2 SMALL CHILDREN in it. the driver ADMITTED he wasnt paying attention according to his insurance company which paid for my repair and rental. it was very minor damage for me.

you can pontificate all you want about that morons feelings but there is a reason some of us get annoyed/angry when young [and old] idiots talk about their own dangerous driving. this accident took place 13 days after he posted. if I had been the driver of the car with children I would have beaten the **** out of the kid. unsafe driving involves more than just the driver. you should remember that the next time you decide to protect the feelings of someone who doesnt deserve it. driving is a priviledge not a right. anyone involved in a self induced accident is LUCKY that someone else doesnt get hurt.
Right, and maybe if this was the "Drive Safely" forum, or the "Wreckless Drivers Anonymous" forum it would be appropriate to lecture. But the point of this topic was is the TL a better handler than the IS.