IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Came from a TL thinkin about the IS350

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-06, 02:18 PM
valkrie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Came from a TL thinkin about the IS350

I was wondering if the handleing on the Sport Is350 was better then the TL's and if it isnt would aftermarket products could correct that. i totaled the TL taking a turn and now i def. want a car that car do better
Old 02-11-06, 02:25 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

you totalled a TL doing a turn?
.. explain
Old 02-11-06, 02:40 PM
valkrie
Driver School Candidate

alright here it is, i had dead tires(like no joke)i rotated those dead tires earlier tha week so i had kinda fresh tires in the front dead ones in the back. so im speedin like 30 over took a turn the back end fish tails i counter. With the front still on the rad and the back end in the dirt the car is now is now perpendicular to the road(i missed hitting two trees with my backend). So the back finally catches but instead of straightening out it does 360s in middle of the road and try to keep turning in so the car just does 360s rather then hit a tree(i tried). But in the end my car was spinning and about 5 inches infront of the windshield catches a tree. the front rips off and i wake up in the hospital
Old 02-11-06, 02:48 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

you need to take defensive driving
Old 02-11-06, 02:55 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by valkrie
alright here it is, i had dead tires(like no joke)i rotated those dead tires earlier tha week so i had kinda fresh tires in the front dead ones in the back. so im speedin like 30 over took a turn the back end fish tails i counter. With the front still on the rad and the back end in the dirt the car is now is now perpendicular to the road(i missed hitting two trees with my backend). So the back finally catches but instead of straightening out it does 360s in middle of the road and try to keep turning in so the car just does 360s rather then hit a tree(i tried). But in the end my car was spinning and about 5 inches infront of the windshield catches a tree. the front rips off and i wake up in the hospital
Ummm... seriously: you need to learn (a) how to drive, and (b) how to maintain a car, and (c) common sense.

The only thing you're going to do differently in an IS is wreck a more expensive car.
Old 02-11-06, 02:58 PM
valkrie
Driver School Candidate

I kno i really need 2 calm down and trust me i did im like a granny driver but i do autocross on and off thats why i was wondering if this car has better handling than the TL
Old 02-11-06, 03:01 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

if you want to drive like crazy on city/country roads, get a much better suspension, some coilovers with a nice drop, good tires will help..
the fact is you did a crazy move on already dead tires which is just dumb bro
Old 02-11-06, 03:27 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Why do people not understand that the driver is worth about a million times more than the car?

I have a road I blast down every day on my commute, because it's the only twisty bit and it's always empty... except for the other day when a guy in a diesel 4x4 pickup was in front of me the entire way.

But you know what? The bastard could drive, and it was a fast and fun ride home. He or I could have been driving a Yugo and we still would have been moving faster than 99.9% of the other people on that road.

A different car isn't going to do a damn thing if you don't know what you're doing. Go to a driving school, then go to a track day school, and then learn that there are reasonable limits you should probably ahere to on public roads in order to keep your license and your car intact. I'm not going to preach to you because I sure as hell don't obey the ridiculous speed limits in this country, but I do use common sense in determining when and where it makes sense to drive at a pace, and wheen I should be going slower than the posted limit.
Old 02-11-06, 03:33 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if the handleing on the Sport Is350 was better then the TL's and if it isnt would aftermarket products could correct that. i totaled the TL taking a turn and now i def. want a car that car do better
yep the is350 is not gonna help you. in fact, it will probably lead to your untimely demise.
Old 02-11-06, 03:42 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
yep the is350 is not gonna help you. in fact, it will probably lead to your untimely demise.
even so...its great to know that this car has so much power...now, on to harnessing it!
Old 02-11-06, 05:29 PM
Scotty99
Driver

Jeez people, quit ragging at the kid, I'm sure he learned a hard lesson.

As for answering your original question, my non-sport 350 handles much better than my vibrating POS 05 TL did. So I would imagine that the sport version would be even a notch better.
Old 02-11-06, 05:31 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scotty99
Jeez people, quit ragging at the kid, I'm sure he learned a hard lesson.
Sorry, but what did you/he expect? "Gee, I was dumb enough to drive like a moron on tires I knew I shouldn't be driving on. I need a car that handles better." No, he doesn't. He needs an education.
Old 02-11-06, 05:34 PM
Scotty99
Driver

The kid came here for some advice about a car, not about how to drive. Why do you think it is okay to hijack his thread by spurting out some egotistical BS???
Old 02-11-06, 05:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by heffergm
Sorry, but what did you/he expect? "Gee, I was dumb enough to drive like a moron on tires I knew I shouldn't be driving on. I need a car that handles better." No, he doesn't. He needs an education.
No he doesn't, he deserves respect from the other members. Every negative point in this thread can easily be made in a more constructive manner.

This new member wants to know about the handling of the new IS, how about you guys with them tell him? Maybe share some info on VDIM?
Old 02-11-06, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Our aplogies, some people are acting like they never made a mistake.

The IS 350 sport handling will be much more flat and tuned compared to a TL. I've driven both. THe TL handles very well, considering its Accord roots and FWD platform. To be honest, unless you push it very hard, it handles good for most people.

The IS handles more confidently, there is no torque steer coming out a corner. Also the chassis is more compliant.

ALso, teh IS is a shorter car., the TL is huge for its class, thus the IS will be more nimble.

OVerall, like the reviews have stated, the IS handles very well, better than a TL, with more more luxury to boot. Its the best of both worlds, the luxury of a TL or A4, the sport of a 3.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Came from a TL thinkin about the IS350