IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

those that installed aftermarket HID's-what happens when you click on your hi beams?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-06, 01:09 AM
shox
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RshaoKh
Philips 6000K HIDs

My HID low beams stay on and the old halogen high beams come on at the same time. Not sure about the fog lights since I had to turn them off because they didn't match my HIDs.
I leave my fogs on with my MTEC 6000K, only reason being is that the fogs look SO yellow in comparison it gives the illusion that the fogs may be HIDs too, haha!

Originally Posted by rominl
though that will defeat the purpose of high beam sometimes. when you wanna flash people, it won't work coz' it takes too long to ingite the bulbs
Not only that, it's not good for the ballast to be flickered on and off frequently. Can cause the ballast to burn out and not the bulb.

And as for the foglights, they turn off when you turn on your high beams but the low beams stay on.
Old 02-14-06, 05:50 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be a little off topic but... I've noticed that a lot of people are saying that flickering the HIDs on and off could damage the bulbs or balasts. I know that sitting there and turning them on and off for no reason is stupid but how fast are you guys talking about? Is turning them on for about 30 seconds and then closing them ok? The reason I ask is when I'm driving home during the day the autolights keep the lights off. However, when I pull into my garage they light up for about 25-30secs? and then I shut the engine off. The autolight will keep them on for about 15ish seconds (personalized setting?), but is this actually bad for the HIDs/balasts?
Old 02-14-06, 06:22 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This might be a little off topic but... I've noticed that a lot of people are saying that flickering the HIDs on and off could damage the bulbs or balasts. I know that sitting there and turning them on and off for no reason is stupid but how fast are you guys talking about? Is turning them on for about 30 seconds and then closing them ok? The reason I ask is when I'm driving home during the day the autolights keep the lights off. However, when I pull into my garage they light up for about 25-30secs? and then I shut the engine off. The autolight will keep them on for about 15ish seconds (personalized setting?), but is this actually bad for the HIDs/balasts?
I don't keep mine on AUTO because I don't think its good for them to come on for a few seconds when I pull into my garage. It is possible to have to AUTO feature adjusted [Lexus Personalized Settings] not to come on as frequently (1 2 3 4 5). I don't know if 1 is most sensitive or least sensitive.
Old 02-14-06, 11:43 PM
shox
Pole Position

I think you're in the clear, I am in the same predicament but usually I turn off the car as soon as I pull into the garage so the light doesn't come on. When it comes to flickering, just constant on and off and drive the ballast or bulb to burn, just like a house lamp. If you flicker, by accident, say in your situation, once a day or not even, you should be fine. I hope I'm right on this though.
Old 02-15-06, 06:31 AM
pokerface
Driver School Candidate

^ I'm not sure either. I thought it was the flash-to-pass that would tend to be more harmful to your HIDs