Acura RSX Type-S to IS350 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-06, 06:11 PM
napa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura RSX Type-S to IS350 Sport

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member and here's my first post. I've been reading messages posted on this forum for the past month -- lots of good stuff.

Has anyone gone from a RSX Type-S to IS350 sport suspension? The reason I ask is because I'm scheduled to take delivery of a IS350 sport in a couple of weeks but have never been able to test drive it due to its scarcity. I have test driven the non-sport IS350 a few times, and have been fine with its ride. I just don't know how much stiffer the sports suspension will be. As long as the ride is more comfortable than my current RSX Type-S, I'll be cool.

I guess I'll find out soon, but wanted to check here to see if anyone has ideas. This has been on mind lately.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-06, 06:31 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by napa
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member and here's my first post. I've been reading messages posted on this forum for the past month -- lots of good stuff.

Has anyone gone from a RSX Type-S to IS350 sport suspension? The reason I ask is because I'm scheduled to take delivery of a IS350 sport in a couple of weeks but have never been able to test drive it due to its scarcity. I have test driven the non-sport IS350 a few times, and have been fine with its ride. I just don't know how much stiffer the sports suspension will be. As long as the ride is more comfortable than my current RSX Type-S, I'll be cool.

I guess I'll find out soon, but wanted to check here to see if anyone has ideas. This has been on mind lately.

Thanks.
so i take your RSX wasnt suspension modded? It will probably drive the same or maybe smoother than the RSX. Well on my current car ive been riding around on a suspension + 215/35/18s so the IS350 (havent test driven a sport suspension, unless the taste of lexus ones were) felt a lot smoother to me.

IS sport package drops it by about .5" so its not gonna be a lot harsher than the normal one
Old 02-12-06, 08:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
so i take your RSX wasnt suspension modded? It will probably drive the same or maybe smoother than the RSX. Well on my current car ive been riding around on a suspension + 215/35/18s so the IS350 (havent test driven a sport suspension, unless the taste of lexus ones were) felt a lot smoother to me.

IS sport package drops it by about .5" so its not gonna be a lot harsher than the normal one

did you have RSX-S before?
Old 02-12-06, 08:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

welcome napa.

my previous car was RSX non S and now i have IS350 non sport I have no idea how stiffer is sport compare to the normal IS350 but from my experience, Is350 rides wayyyyyyyyyyyyy smoother than RSX. My rsx was just bumpy and the ride wasnt comfy at all. It's just a world of difference btw RSX and IS.
Old 02-12-06, 08:52 PM
napa
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks.

Yep, I still have my stock RSX Type-S for a couple of weeks, until my IS350 arrives at the dealer. It's actually bittersweet -- I know I'll love the IS350, but the RSX was a great, fun car. Never had any issues, just changed the oil and filled it with gas...super reliable. I agree it's a bit bumpy for my normal commute.

Can't wait to get my hands on the IS350. My buddy recently bought a GS430, but I like the IS350 more...
Old 02-12-06, 08:59 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I love my RSX. Mine was 2002 and i got it as soon as it came out. it took me everywhere.

Honestly, I miss my RSX even though I am enjoying my IS350 now. I will get shoot for saying this but sometimes i feel like handling on my RSX is sharper than my IS350. But it's just me. I feel that IS350 is just too heavy. But other than that, IS350 is just super awesome car. I am sure you will love it!
Old 02-13-06, 01:29 AM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STIG
welcome napa.

my previous car was RSX non S and now i have IS350 non sport I have no idea how stiffer is sport compare to the normal IS350 but from my experience, Is350 rides wayyyyyyyyyyyyy smoother than RSX. My rsx was just bumpy and the ride wasnt comfy at all. It's just a world of difference btw RSX and IS.
Yes, I agree. I have not picked up the IS yet, but I did test drove a 250. I also own an RSX non-S type also The RSX's ride is "painful" when going over bumps and rough roads. The Lexus took the bumps and pot holes a lot better than the RSX.
Old 02-13-06, 03:03 AM
MR LEX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by paeko73
The RSX's ride is "painful" when going over bumps and rough roads. The Lexus took the bumps and pot holes a lot better than the RSX.
Agreed. While there are times that I miss my RSX Type S, it was very uncomfortable on long commutes.

Lex
Old 02-13-06, 10:14 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

did you have RSX-S before?
2000 prelude probably similar in ride comfort, gonna hold on to it unti l see what 07 model year brings
Old 02-13-06, 10:35 AM
Cypren
Driver

I love my RSX. Mine was 2002 and i got it as soon as it came out. it took me everywhere.

Honestly, I miss my RSX even though I am enjoying my IS350 now. I will get shoot for saying this but sometimes i feel like handling on my RSX is sharper than my IS350. But it's just me. I feel that IS350 is just too heavy. But other than that, IS350 is just super awesome car. I am sure you will love it!
I picked up a 2002 RSX-S when it came out as well -- the first new car I ever bought. Loved it, and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking in that price range. And you're right, its handling is better than the IS350 -- though not by much, and I think it's somewhat due to the shorter wheelbase and lower weight, not to mention the lower torque and engine power giving you less chance for error.

For the OP, the suspension on the Type-S is (or was, at least, on my 2002 -- I haven't ridden in the newer models) pretty much firm as a bed of rocks. You won't find that in the IS, even in the sport suspension. (I don't own a sport IS, but I did test drive one to see the differences when making my buying decision.) It has a firmer ride than any other Lexus, but it's still a lot softer than a car that's really meant for track racing. You'll feel the bumps on bad roads, but it won't be the dragging-your-teeth-on-the-pavement feel you get in the RSX. =)
Old 02-13-06, 07:59 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I have an IS350 Lux and a buddy of mine has the IS350 sport. I only drove his for a short time but the suspension is stiffer obviously than the non-sport. The suspension has a more forcefull rebound too so you get a more bouncy ride. For me, the non-sport suspension is plenty stiff enough. I'm not about to go auto X in my IS so the slight handling advantage of the sport model wasn't worth sacraficing ride quality (for me) I also like my wood trim and illuminated door sills. I did however like his pedals so I went to my Lexus dealer the next day and got a pair for mine
Old 02-13-06, 10:36 PM
napa
Driver School Candidate

Ramon,

That's exactly my thoughts that got me re-thinking...
Old 02-14-06, 07:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by napa
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.
Welcome, I've driven base and RSX-S, the IS blows both away, its not even funny.. Do remember, these cars are not close engineering wise, the RSX is a Civic platform, the IS based on the more expensive GS.

Apples to Oranges. The RSX is a very good car though, considering its foundation. But the IS totally blows it away
Old 02-14-06, 08:28 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

I have a '02 RSX and a non-sport IS350. I have driven the RSX Type-S a lot (a friend has one) and did test drive the sport IS350. I'd have to say the RSX Type-S is more stiffer with less high speed-compression damping. Huge bumps on the road would unsettle the chasis of the RSX a bit more. Definately not something I would want to commute on the freeway... but then again, I did find the sport suspension on the IS350 a bit to harsh for my liking.
Old 02-24-06, 11:14 PM
napa
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your input.

I took delivery of a Tungsten Pearl IS350, Sport, NAV/ML a few hours ago. Yeah! The sport suspension is stiffer than I thought it'd be, but the ride is considerably better than my RSX Type-S I said good-bye to this evening.

I'm happy, very cool car...

Quick Reply: Acura RSX Type-S to IS350 Sport